cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G20AJ When installing second RAM, power loop occurs.

Mortifyd
Level 7
I installed an identical stick of 8 gig memory into the slot to total 16 gigs, when it boots, it boots into a power loop (as in it powers on, then shuts off without reaching any screen, over and over until I hold power). I tested both sticks in the slot that works, and both sticks are recognized. Is there a bios option I'm unaware of? Could the slot be damaged? Is there not enough power? Any help would be appreciated! I haven't run into this issues in a build before. 😞

Specs:

i7-4770s
GTX 1060 Turbo 6gb
1 TB HDD
180w + 230w power bricks
12 REPLIES 12

litania72
Level 7
Mortifyd wrote:
I installed an identical stick of 8 gig memory into the slot to total 16 gigs, when it boots, it boots into a power loop (as in it powers on, then shuts off without reaching any screen, over and over until I hold power). I tested both sticks in the slot that works, and both sticks are recognized. Is there a bios option I'm unaware of? Could the slot be damaged? Is there not enough power? Any help would be appreciated! I haven't run into this issues in a build before. 😞

Specs:

i7-4770s
GTX 1060 Turbo 6gb
1 TB HDD
180w + 230w power bricks

strange, I have the g20 with 4790...and I added another 8gb which worked perfectly...is it the ddr3L version? sorry to ask but you never know...all I do know is that it needs a low voltage ram..

litania72 wrote:
strange, I have the g20 with 4790...and I added another 8gb which worked perfectly...is it the ddr3L version? sorry to ask but you never know...all I do know is that it needs a low voltage ram..

The ram is identical, when I tested the new RAM by swapping sticks with the one that worked, it registered, but both sticks together don't boot the system properly.

Here is the ram I purchased: https://goo.gl/1aBhac

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-HyperX-1600MHz-HX316LS9IBK2/dp/B00KQCU3WM/ref=sr_1_7?s=el...

I got the hyperx set above from amazon and no issues, i wanted to make sure i got no probs by using different ram, but you said urs are identical. Can you enter the bios? If so pls reset to default, also clear cmos....good luck.

If you can return the ram, sell the other and ger the hyperx ones...

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-HyperX-1600MHz-HX316LS9IBK2/dp/B00KQCU3WM/ref=sr_1_7?s=el...

I got the hyperx set above from amazon and no issues, i wanted to make sure i got no probs by using different ram, but you said urs are identical. Can you enter the bios? If so pls reset to default, also clear cmos....good luck.

If you can return the ram, sell the other and get the hyperx ones...

Another thing....to add ram you woukd have to remove the cpu heatsink....did you? Check that its screwed back properly...
Sorry for stating the obvious but at desperate time we tend to miss these things...

litania72 wrote:

If you can return the ram, sell the other and get the hyperx ones...

Another thing....to add ram you woukd have to remove the cpu heatsink....did you? Check that its screwed back properly...
Sorry for stating the obvious but at desperate time we tend to miss these things...

I did remove the heatsink when installing, and when I screwed it back, I did so from screw to diagonal screw, until the screws were tight. I already tried resetting bios and cmos. It looks like I'll be sending it back, anyway, I appreciate the help my dude! I'll be ordering the Hyper X set and I'll update you when they arrive.

😄

Mortifyd wrote:
I did remove the heatsink when installing, and when I screwed it back, I did so from screw to diagonal screw, until the screws were tight. I already tried resetting bios and cmos. It looks like I'll be sending it back, anyway, I appreciate the help my dude! I'll be ordering the Hyper X set and I'll update you when they arrive.

😄

no probs, I feel the hyperx is very reliable. I was shocked when I saw the price at present, I certainly paid half that around a yr back, try to shop around, not sure if you are Uk or Us or elsewhere, but I believe I paid for 2x8gb kit around £50....not sure that was black friday...good luck and report back.

🙂

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
sounds like you have 2 different types of sticks, either different voltage or speeds. always buying a 16gb kit is alot less stress to install then mis-matching a pair. lets us know how you got off dude

Alrighty, I purchased the set provided by litania72: https://goo.gl/BaFPVl

The problem is still occurring with this set of ram. I've tried resetting the bios, and clearing cmos. I haven't clue what to do now. 😞

also disconnect hdd...then boot...