cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[GL502VM] [GL502VMK] Fan noise and throttling solution

hitardo
Level 7
Keywords:
gl502, vmk, kaby, lake, skylake, gtx, 1060, high, noise, fan, heat, throttling, voltage, cpu, gpu, power

Hello,

Immediately, after booting my new, out-of-the-box, Asus GL502VMK I noticed two things wrong with it:
- Design: The screen, as I open it, gets in the way of the back vents, blocking the air out and catching all the heat (which can result in damage over time, like glue that is holding the panel coming out);
- Power management: The fans were always on, while just in Windows desktop, which was annoying.

Then I fired up some games: Euro Truck Simulator 2, American Truck Simulator, Asseto Corsa and - the most demanding - GTA V.
All games were ran in very high to ultra graphic settings.
While playing the first three I noticed an occasional drop in frames per second (FPS), but I assume it was due to overheating, so I ran CPUID HWMonitor - along with ROG Gaming Center - which showed high temperatures, but not to the point of throttling. Strange.
But, when I fired GTA V, I noticed from time to time (every 20 minutes or so) the drop of frames was huge, and when I went to ROG Gaming Center the CPU frequency was down to 890MHz.
WAIT WHAT?
Thermal throttling? No, the temperature was at 80ºC, which is pretty normal in these laptops.

So I came across this guide, in this forum.
I followed it and had some interesting results, adapted to my hardware.

In Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (XPU) I noticed one thing right away: I was not having thermal throttling. I was having power (voltage) throttling, i.e. the CPU was brought down to ~900MHz because it was consuming too much voltage, especially while gaming which all components are at max consumption: fans spinning, GPU at max frequency, etc...
I was running a external monitor with the laptop's monitor turned off and Wifi turned off. Imagine another situation with both consuming more power...

Heat I can dissipate with a fan base - which I own - but power throttling was not easy.
But something had to be made in order to maintain a high performance, while keeping everything in a good temperature and safe.
This guide is only on the software side.
Not a single thing was done on the hardware side - which could use some improvements...

How to:

You can perform one of these steps or both. I recommend both.

1) CPU:
Testing with Intel XTU:
- Download and install Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU) here or directly here;
- Launch it and agree with the Terms and Condition (only if you do);
- Go to "Advance Setting" -> "Core" -> "Core Voltage Offset" (on the right side);
- Click on the voltage value of "0.000V" and select "-0.100V";
- Hit "Apply" - the yellow button - on the right panel;
- Done.
IMPORTANT: Choose the negative value, i.e. a decrease in Voltage in the CPU. This will decrease the excessive Voltage that the CPU has by default and does not need, and bring down the temperature.

You can see this video to help you.

Optional:
- Run a CPU Stress Test, e.g. for 10 minutes, and see the evolution in temperatures and if your laptop remains turned on.
- I tested -0.150V, which caused my system to shut down; -0.120V brought some performance dtops; -0.110V was ok but not that better than -0.100V. So I advise -0.100V on Kaby-Lake chips.

Applying with ThrottleStop:
- Download ThrottleStop here;
- Extract the package and paste it on the root folder of your C:\;
- Open it through ThrottleStop.exe;
- Click on "FIVR", on the bottom part of the application window;
- Select CPU Core, under FIVR Control, on the top center;
- Check the Unlock Adjustable Voltage option just below;
- Leave the range as is, for initial testing;
- Reduce the voltage (undervolting) by clicking on the left arrow, and see the voltage decrease;
- Apply the undervolting value tested and validated with Intel XTU (Extreme Tuning Utility);
- Select CPU Cache, under FIVR Control, on the top center;
- Check the Unlock Adjustable Voltage option just below;
- Leave the range as is, for initial testing;
- Reduce the voltage (undervolting) by clicking on the left arrow, and see the voltage decrease;
- Apply the same undervolting value as applied on the CPU Core;
- To avoid a loop with a blue screen, check the option "OK - Save voltages after ThrottleStop exits.";
- Click Apply;
- Only after testing you may click "Ok" on the bottom;
- After testing, click on Options, on the bottom;
- Check the two options on the right: "Start minimized" and "Minimize on close";
- Additionally, if you like it, on the left there are the "Notification area" options, that allows for adding tray icons to tell you the CPU and GPU temperatures, as well as the CPU frequency. You can choose the font and colour of those tray icons;
- Uncheck "Task bar" option on the main windows, to allow for it to go to the Tray area.

See this video to guide you through all the process of ThrootleStop setup, including the next task scheduler part.
But, please, read all of my points to get a better experience.

Creating a scheduled task in Windows to launch ThrottleStop in each Windows startup:
- In the search bar, search for "task", and select "Task Scheduler";
- Follow this guide;
- Make sure to give "Run with highest priveleges";
- Select triggers "At log on", on your specific user (this is to avoid difficulties if a problem occurs with this setup);
- Select the program "ThrottleStop.exe" to be launched;
- All done!

At Spring time, my temperatures came down:
- At idle from 55ºC to 40ºC;
- Browsing from 60ºC to 47ºC;
- Gaming from 85ºC to 76ºC.
This decrease saves power, decreases heat and lowers the fan movement and noise.
I am very happy with these temperatures.

2) GPU:
- Download and install MSI Afterburner here or directly here;
- Launch it and click on Settings;
- Select "Unlock Voltage Control" and "Unlock Voltage Monitoring";
- Hit "Ok" and close the program (make sure it was properly closed in the tray area);
- Download the GTX 1060 voltage profile here;
- Go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles" and copy the name of the *CFG file that starts with "VEN_";
- Change the name of my GTX 1060 voltage profile to the name copied by you;
- OPTIONAL: Make a copy of your Default voltage profile for backup;
- Launch MSI Afterburner again, unlock profiles on the lock image and select the Profile number 1;
- Hit CTRL+F on your keyboard and you will see the voltage curve, looking like this screenshot;
- Close the curve window, click on Save (floppy disk) and Apply (the check mark);
- Done.

You can see this video to help you.

GPU temperatures came down.
At Spring time, my temperatures came down:
- At idle from 52ºC to 37ºC;
- Browsing from 52ºC to 45ºC;
- Gaming from 80ºC to 78ºC.
Again, this decrease saves power, decreases heat and lowers the fan movement and noise.
I am very happy with these temperatures.

This also improves battery life, especially under soft loads, like browsing, watching videos and general use.
I hope you liked it and your laptop remains calm and quiet, even while gaming 🙂

My appreciation to onjax for the original thread that help me a lot.
36 REPLIES 36

Silverdemon96
Level 7
Hey Man.
Read your post and I'm gonna try your solutions to see if it works for me or not.
I use a gl502vs and I was wondering if the settings you said in your post to apply to MSI afterbuner and Intel ETU remains the same and also could you give a link for the GTX 1070 voltage profile ?
Thanks.

Silverdemon96 wrote:
Hey Man.
Read your post and I'm gonna try your solutions to see if it works for me or not.
I use a gl502vs and I was wondering if the settings you said in your post to apply to MSI afterbuner and Intel ETU remains the same and also could you give a link for the GTX 1070 voltage profile ?
Thanks.

You can follow this tutorial for your model, but with little differences.

CPU:
i7-7700HQ - Try an offset voltage of -100mV and down;
i7-6700HQ - Try an offset voltage of -130mV and down.

GPU:
GTX 1060 - Try the curve provided above;
GTX 1070 - Try this method.

Thank you very much for the guide, I followed it and I noticed a change in the sound of the fans and the temperature, which program recommend to monitor the temperatures of the cpu and gpu? :rolleyes:

Juankal wrote:
Thank you very much for the guide, I followed it and I noticed a change in the sound of the fans and the temperature, which program recommend to monitor the temperatures of the cpu and gpu? :rolleyes:

Initially, I used Intel XTU and MSI Afterburner.
After implementing, I started using ThrottleStop, because of the tray icons with temperatures.
Right now I am testing AIDA64.

But there are plenty of software.
You can use ROG Gaming Center, which is already installed on your laptop.

AIDA64 has the advantage of creating graphs.
ThrottleStop has the tray icons.
Intel XTU and MSI Afterburner are very good while in testing.

Hey,I have a GL502VMK and I can't undervolt my GTX 1060. I have undervolted my i7 7700HQ by -125mV and noticed a temperature drop of about 10ºC and a more consistent turbo speed, but every software I use to undervolt the GPU doesn't unlock, which leads me to believe that it's locked. Does everyone else have the same issue with this model?

Also, I don't see many people talking about the design flaw regarding the rear vents that blow the hot air against the screen which not only makes the cooling a little less eficient but also heats the screen and display, which may bring issues down the road. For those who have this laptop for quite some time, what are your thoughts about this? Do you see any flex of the plastic at the bottom of the screen or problems with the display itself?

Cumps

The procedures were updated:
- The ThrottleStop instructions were added;
- A Task Scheduler procedure was added to maintain the unvervolting;
- Videos were added to help guide you through each procedure.

Hope this helps you.
Now there is now excuse to perform undervolting and get a better experience 🙂

xelas_bigmac wrote:
Hey,I have a GL502VMK and I can't undervolt my GTX 1060. I have undervolted my i7 7700HQ by -125mV and noticed a temperature drop of about 10ºC and a more consistent turbo speed, but every software I use to undervolt the GPU doesn't unlock, which leads me to believe that it's locked. Does everyone else have the same issue with this model?

Also, I don't see many people talking about the design flaw regarding the rear vents that blow the hot air against the screen which not only makes the cooling a little less eficient but also heats the screen and display, which may bring issues down the road. For those who have this laptop for quite some time, what are your thoughts about this? Do you see any flex of the plastic at the bottom of the screen or problems with the display itself?

Cumps

Regarding the GTX 1060 undervolting I am not able to comment, i.e., since the last BIOS update (302 version) I have not tested enought to form an opinion, so, I will need more time.

Regarding the design flaw, I agree, and I commented on it in the beginning of my initial post.
It is very sad to see this simple design flaw.
Although I confess it does not bother me much, as I spend the majority of time connected to an external monitor, leaving the screen of the laptop off and at 45º open, so the air has room to get out.
Adding to this, I own a fan base to increase air flow.

Nevertheless, I agree with you: Asus made a bad design with this laptop.
I can see the glue holding the display getting melt by some extensive every day gaming...

hitardo wrote:
Regarding the GTX 1060 undervolting I am not able to comment, i.e., since the last BIOS update (302 version) I have not tested enought to form an opinion, so, I will need more time.

Regarding the design flaw, I agree, and I commented on it in the beginning of my initial post.
It is very sad to see this simple design flaw.
Although I confess it does not bother me much, as I spend the majority of time connected to an external monitor, leaving the screen of the laptop off and at 45º open, so the air has room to get out.
Adding to this, I own a fan base to increase air flow.

Nevertheless, I agree with you: Asus made a bad design with this laptop.
I can see the glue holding the display getting melt by some extensive every day gaming...

Thanks. It's just I read somewhere in this forum that undervolting the GPU helps a lot with lowering the temperatures. But I also read somewhere else that undervolting the GPU hits the performance a bit. It doesn't make much sense so I'm a little skeptical about it. Nonetheless, I'd like to see if undervolting the GPU is possible.
As far as the display is concerned, I have 2 years warranty so if anything happens, I'll use it. I'm considering a notebook cooler for it but most of them don't provide adequate airflow to where I want it (at the back), so I'm considering 3D printing some parts and make one for this laptop in a few months, after I finish my thesis.
One more thing, does it have Thunderbolt 3 or not? And if so, just the display port or also de USB-C port? Early reviews say it doesn't, but the driver is available for download, so I don't really know what to make of it.

xelas_bigmac wrote:
Thanks. It's just I read somewhere in this forum that undervolting the GPU helps a lot with lowering the temperatures. But I also read somewhere else that undervolting the GPU hits the performance a bit. It doesn't make much sense so I'm a little skeptical about it. Nonetheless, I'd like to see if undervolting the GPU is possible.
As far as the display is concerned, I have 2 years warranty so if anything happens, I'll use it. I'm considering a notebook cooler for it but most of them don't provide adequate airflow to where I want it (at the back), so I'm considering 3D printing some parts and make one for this laptop in a few months, after I finish my thesis.
One more thing, does it have Thunderbolt 3 or not? And if so, just the display port or also de USB-C port? Early reviews say it doesn't, but the driver is available for download, so I don't really know what to make of it.

CPU
Undervolting should, in theory, not impact performance, neither positively, nor negatively.
But, in fact, it does.

Positively because it allows for less heat, which will prevent thermal throttling, or even power throttling.
So, you will have better performnace for longer periods of time.

Negatively because if you undervolt too much you can reach a point where your laptop does not turn off or shows a blue screen, but it does not have sufficient voltage to operate at its normal pace.
What your should do is dial a little back and your will get the same performance with undervolting.

For example, I undervolted to -120mV and got some artefacts while on GTA V. Further than that, like -130mV to -150mV the laptop just went down on me.
Has I placed undervolting in -110mV, the game ran smooth, as it should.
So, a thing I recommend.

GPU
Yesterday I experimented further with the GPU undervolting, since the BIOS 302 update.

I got one conclusion: Asus dialled a bit on the GPU.
So now the Profile number 1, while gaming hard for a bit, crashes the GPU, and consequently the game.
I did not tried Profile number 2.
But Profile number 3, 4 and 5 ran smooth like before, bringing the temperatures down.

I highly advise undervolting both, especially considering that the heat sink is shared, you can see this image for reference.

Thermal throttling
With both CPU and GPU undervolted, I tried AIDA64 for testing, and I got to one conclusion:
If you have a synthetic stress test on your CPU, there will be no throttling.
But if you stress test your CPU and GPU, as both processors are generating heat and the heat sink is the same (altough fairly large), the CPU will throttle.

And this load (CPU + GPU) is what we see in games, especially in GTA V, which is a CPU intensive game.

It is importante to note that a synthetic stress test is much more heavy than a game or any other load you can place on your laptop.

Fan base for the laptop
You should not place a fan blowing air through the back, as those are the exhaust vents of the laptop, meaning you should let the hot air get out of the laptop.
What you need is more cold air going in, from the bottom of the laptop.

A regular fan base for a laptop does just that.
I have tried some setups:
- A regular cheap fan base;
- A multi fan base, with adjustable fan positioning;
- A big fan base with a the capacity of move a high volume of air.

And the one I found the best is the last: blowing as much air as possible and hope for the best.
This approach is the one with the best results as the air intake holes in the bottom are very tiny, so you new brute force to get in. Furthermore, as the base itself gets colder, the components right above that (vents, heat sink, etc...) get a little colder too, although not by much.

There are people that went as far as drilling holes below the vents, which is a highly effective in decreasing the temperatures, but will void your warranty and can be an entrance point for dust and other bad things for your laptop.
So, I do not advise this, unless your warranty has expired and your laptop is always in a clean place.
You can see that here.

Thunderbolt
This is a difficult matter.
The Thunderbolt support depends by region.

But one thing I can assure you: it your laptop supports it, it will be Thunderbolt 3 through the USB Type-C.

The mini DisplayPort is not Thunderbolt, as the standard through this input interface is Thunderbolt 2.
Thunderbolt 3 protocol is through the input interface USB Type-C, which this laptop (GL502VM or GL502VMK) has on the left side of it.

I have installed the Thunderbolt 3 utility, but do not own a Thunderbolt 3 peripheral to test it with.
But there is a guy who tested sucessfully the connection of an external GPU through the USB Type-C port, through Thunderbolt 3 protocol.
You can find the thread here.