Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36
  1. #11
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    41

    The procedures were updated:
    - The ThrottleStop instructions were added;
    - A Task Scheduler procedure was added to maintain the unvervolting;
    - Videos were added to help guide you through each procedure.

    Hope this helps you.
    Now there is now excuse to perform undervolting and get a better experience

  2. #12
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    41

    Quote Originally Posted by xelas_bigmac View Post
    Hey,I have a GL502VMK and I can't undervolt my GTX 1060. I have undervolted my i7 7700HQ by -125mV and noticed a temperature drop of about 10ºC and a more consistent turbo speed, but every software I use to undervolt the GPU doesn't unlock, which leads me to believe that it's locked. Does everyone else have the same issue with this model?

    Also, I don't see many people talking about the design flaw regarding the rear vents that blow the hot air against the screen which not only makes the cooling a little less eficient but also heats the screen and display, which may bring issues down the road. For those who have this laptop for quite some time, what are your thoughts about this? Do you see any flex of the plastic at the bottom of the screen or problems with the display itself?

    Cumps
    Regarding the GTX 1060 undervolting I am not able to comment, i.e., since the last BIOS update (302 version) I have not tested enought to form an opinion, so, I will need more time.

    Regarding the design flaw, I agree, and I commented on it in the beginning of my initial post.
    It is very sad to see this simple design flaw.
    Although I confess it does not bother me much, as I spend the majority of time connected to an external monitor, leaving the screen of the laptop off and at 45º open, so the air has room to get out.
    Adding to this, I own a fan base to increase air flow.

    Nevertheless, I agree with you: Asus made a bad design with this laptop.
    I can see the glue holding the display getting melt by some extensive every day gaming...

  3. #13
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    16

    Quote Originally Posted by hitardo View Post
    Regarding the GTX 1060 undervolting I am not able to comment, i.e., since the last BIOS update (302 version) I have not tested enought to form an opinion, so, I will need more time.

    Regarding the design flaw, I agree, and I commented on it in the beginning of my initial post.
    It is very sad to see this simple design flaw.
    Although I confess it does not bother me much, as I spend the majority of time connected to an external monitor, leaving the screen of the laptop off and at 45º open, so the air has room to get out.
    Adding to this, I own a fan base to increase air flow.

    Nevertheless, I agree with you: Asus made a bad design with this laptop.
    I can see the glue holding the display getting melt by some extensive every day gaming...
    Thanks. It's just I read somewhere in this forum that undervolting the GPU helps a lot with lowering the temperatures. But I also read somewhere else that undervolting the GPU hits the performance a bit. It doesn't make much sense so I'm a little skeptical about it. Nonetheless, I'd like to see if undervolting the GPU is possible.
    As far as the display is concerned, I have 2 years warranty so if anything happens, I'll use it. I'm considering a notebook cooler for it but most of them don't provide adequate airflow to where I want it (at the back), so I'm considering 3D printing some parts and make one for this laptop in a few months, after I finish my thesis.
    One more thing, does it have Thunderbolt 3 or not? And if so, just the display port or also de USB-C port? Early reviews say it doesn't, but the driver is available for download, so I don't really know what to make of it.

  4. #14
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    41

    Quote Originally Posted by xelas_bigmac View Post
    Thanks. It's just I read somewhere in this forum that undervolting the GPU helps a lot with lowering the temperatures. But I also read somewhere else that undervolting the GPU hits the performance a bit. It doesn't make much sense so I'm a little skeptical about it. Nonetheless, I'd like to see if undervolting the GPU is possible.
    As far as the display is concerned, I have 2 years warranty so if anything happens, I'll use it. I'm considering a notebook cooler for it but most of them don't provide adequate airflow to where I want it (at the back), so I'm considering 3D printing some parts and make one for this laptop in a few months, after I finish my thesis.
    One more thing, does it have Thunderbolt 3 or not? And if so, just the display port or also de USB-C port? Early reviews say it doesn't, but the driver is available for download, so I don't really know what to make of it.
    CPU
    Undervolting should, in theory, not impact performance, neither positively, nor negatively.
    But, in fact, it does.

    Positively because it allows for less heat, which will prevent thermal throttling, or even power throttling.
    So, you will have better performnace for longer periods of time.

    Negatively because if you undervolt too much you can reach a point where your laptop does not turn off or shows a blue screen, but it does not have sufficient voltage to operate at its normal pace.
    What your should do is dial a little back and your will get the same performance with undervolting.

    For example, I undervolted to -120mV and got some artefacts while on GTA V. Further than that, like -130mV to -150mV the laptop just went down on me.
    Has I placed undervolting in -110mV, the game ran smooth, as it should.
    So, a thing I recommend.

    GPU
    Yesterday I experimented further with the GPU undervolting, since the BIOS 302 update.

    I got one conclusion: Asus dialled a bit on the GPU.
    So now the Profile number 1, while gaming hard for a bit, crashes the GPU, and consequently the game.
    I did not tried Profile number 2.
    But Profile number 3, 4 and 5 ran smooth like before, bringing the temperatures down.

    I highly advise undervolting both, especially considering that the heat sink is shared, you can see this image for reference.

    Thermal throttling
    With both CPU and GPU undervolted, I tried AIDA64 for testing, and I got to one conclusion:
    If you have a synthetic stress test on your CPU, there will be no throttling.
    But if you stress test your CPU and GPU, as both processors are generating heat and the heat sink is the same (altough fairly large), the CPU will throttle.

    And this load (CPU + GPU) is what we see in games, especially in GTA V, which is a CPU intensive game.

    It is importante to note that a synthetic stress test is much more heavy than a game or any other load you can place on your laptop.

    Fan base for the laptop
    You should not place a fan blowing air through the back, as those are the exhaust vents of the laptop, meaning you should let the hot air get out of the laptop.
    What you need is more cold air going in, from the bottom of the laptop.

    A regular fan base for a laptop does just that.
    I have tried some setups:
    - A regular cheap fan base;
    - A multi fan base, with adjustable fan positioning;
    - A big fan base with a the capacity of move a high volume of air.

    And the one I found the best is the last: blowing as much air as possible and hope for the best.
    This approach is the one with the best results as the air intake holes in the bottom are very tiny, so you new brute force to get in. Furthermore, as the base itself gets colder, the components right above that (vents, heat sink, etc...) get a little colder too, although not by much.

    There are people that went as far as drilling holes below the vents, which is a highly effective in decreasing the temperatures, but will void your warranty and can be an entrance point for dust and other bad things for your laptop.
    So, I do not advise this, unless your warranty has expired and your laptop is always in a clean place.
    You can see that here.

    Thunderbolt
    This is a difficult matter.
    The Thunderbolt support depends by region.

    But one thing I can assure you: it your laptop supports it, it will be Thunderbolt 3 through the USB Type-C.

    The mini DisplayPort is not Thunderbolt, as the standard through this input interface is Thunderbolt 2.
    Thunderbolt 3 protocol is through the input interface USB Type-C, which this laptop (GL502VM or GL502VMK) has on the left side of it.

    I have installed the Thunderbolt 3 utility, but do not own a Thunderbolt 3 peripheral to test it with.
    But there is a guy who tested sucessfully the connection of an external GPU through the USB Type-C port, through Thunderbolt 3 protocol.
    You can find the thread here.

  5. #15
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    16

    I undervolted mine in -125mV and still have no issues. I tried -150mV and the laptop shutdown imediatelly so I let it stay in -125mV. I haven't gamed yet but I stress the CPU and GPU for a few minutes and don't see any issue. Also, while working, I don't see any issue as well so I think I'm good.

    The GPU, I can't undervolt it. It seems to be locked. That's what intrigues me because many users can undervolt it. I guess they locked it in the Kany Lake Model.

    My idea was for the fan to help cool the display so that it minimizes its poor design. I have a broken Zalman ZM-1500NC that I really liked. But the replacement fan is the same price as its clone, so I won't fix it. What I like about it is that there's two fans that push a constant stream of air evenly to the bottom and not specific to any area. I was considering something along these lines. So that it pushes air to the intake vents as well as to the rear vents+bottom of display.

    The only reason I want to know about Thunderbolt is because I'm curious to know if you can display 4 monitors simultaneously. And if so, if the image is a mirror or independent. I'll try it in a few weeks.

  6. #16
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    41

    Quote Originally Posted by xelas_bigmac View Post
    I undervolted mine in -125mV and still have no issues. I tried -150mV and the laptop shutdown imediatelly so I let it stay in -125mV. I haven't gamed yet but I stress the CPU and GPU for a few minutes and don't see any issue. Also, while working, I don't see any issue as well so I think I'm good.

    The GPU, I can't undervolt it. It seems to be locked. That's what intrigues me because many users can undervolt it. I guess they locked it in the Kany Lake Model.

    My idea was for the fan to help cool the display so that it minimizes its poor design. I have a broken Zalman ZM-1500NC that I really liked. But the replacement fan is the same price as its clone, so I won't fix it. What I like about it is that there's two fans that push a constant stream of air evenly to the bottom and not specific to any area. I was considering something along these lines. So that it pushes air to the intake vents as well as to the rear vents+bottom of display.

    The only reason I want to know about Thunderbolt is because I'm curious to know if you can display 4 monitors simultaneously. And if so, if the image is a mirror or independent. I'll try it in a few weeks.
    I also have a Kaby-Lake CPU (i7-7700HQ), and I am able to undervolt my GPU.
    So, you should keep digging.

    And I add: there is nothing like experience in day-to-day tasks, like a normal day of work.
    After the BIOS 302 update I performed several stress tests to my laptop and all was fine. But, sometimes I got a random reboot or blue screen. I had to dial back on undervolting to -115mV from -120mV.
    And this value is not for all. It is the silicone lottery: some chips can handle less voltage than other. That is why Asus (and other OEMs) ships its laptops with so "high" voltage out-of-the-box.

    Regarding the fan base, I advise you to give a check on the Cooler Master Notepal XL, here at PCDiga (there are two in Lisboa).
    It is a more expensive than many, but the air flow is higher than most: 89.8 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute).
    But if your environment is hot, you will see reduced advantages with a fan base, disregarding the air flow or other specification.

    The main problem of connecting four monitors ro this laptop will be the amount of pixels it would have to push.
    Assuming the four monitor are 1080p, we are talking = 4 x 1920 x 1080p = 8294400 ~= 8.3MP, which is the same has 4k.
    Gaming in those four monitors will be a bad experience.
    And I will speculate that while working you will feel the descent in performance, but it all depends in what type of work you do.

  7. #17
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    16

    Quote Originally Posted by hitardo View Post
    I also have a Kaby-Lake CPU (i7-7700HQ), and I am able to undervolt my GPU.
    So, you should keep digging.

    And I add: there is nothing like experience in day-to-day tasks, like a normal day of work.
    After the BIOS 302 update I performed several stress tests to my laptop and all was fine. But, sometimes I got a random reboot or blue screen. I had to dial back on undervolting to -115mV from -120mV.
    And this value is not for all. It is the silicone lottery: some chips can handle less voltage than other. That is why Asus (and other OEMs) ships its laptops with so "high" voltage out-of-the-box.

    Regarding the fan base, I advise you to give a check on the Cooler Master Notepal XL, here at PCDiga (there are two in Lisboa).
    It is a more expensive than many, but the air flow is higher than most: 89.8 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute).
    But if your environment is hot, you will see reduced advantages with a fan base, disregarding the air flow or other specification.

    The main problem of connecting four monitors ro this laptop will be the amount of pixels it would have to push.
    Assuming the four monitor are 1080p, we are talking = 4 x 1920 x 1080p = 8294400 ~= 8.3MP, which is the same has 4k.
    Gaming in those four monitors will be a bad experience.
    And I will speculate that while working you will feel the descent in performance, but it all depends in what type of work you do.
    I bought mine at Worten. I did a clean install of WIndows 10 with the OEM key. I then installed Intel XTU and MSI Afterburner. I was able to undervolt my CPU but not my GPU. I unlocked the voltage control in MSI Settings but still wasn't able to adjust the settings. I had no issues with -125mV with my CPU so far. I tried -150mV and it froze instantly so I just let it stay on -125mV. Maybe I got a good chip, I don't know. But do you have any other way of undervolting the GPU? By the way, I have updated my BIOS to the latest version available.

    Thanks for the tip on the cooler. I'll check it out. I'm used to using a laptop cooler but not when I'm away, only when I'm at home.

    Regarding the multi-screen configuration, it's mainly to work, not game. The GTX 1060 is a beast to game at 1080p and I don't intend to game at higher resolution. I'd rather be able to maintain the 60FPS.

    EDIT: After I clean installed Windows 10, I installed ASUS Splendid but it wasn't working properly. It didn't bother me because I use the Windows 10 Night Light feature, but still.
    Last edited by xelas_bigmac; 08-05-2017 at 04:22 PM.

  8. #18
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    41

    Quote Originally Posted by xelas_bigmac View Post
    I bought mine at Worten. I did a clean install of WIndows 10 with the OEM key. I then installed Intel XTU and MSI Afterburner. I was able to undervolt my CPU but not my GPU. I unlocked the voltage control in MSI Settings but still wasn't able to adjust the settings. I had no issues with -125mV with my CPU so far. I tried -150mV and it froze instantly so I just let it stay on -125mV. Maybe I got a good chip, I don't know. But do you have any other way of undervolting the GPU? By the way, I have updated my BIOS to the latest version available.

    Thanks for the tip on the cooler. I'll check it out. I'm used to using a laptop cooler but not when I'm away, only when I'm at home.

    Regarding the multi-screen configuration, it's mainly to work, not game. The GTX 1060 is a beast to game at 1080p and I don't intend to game at higher resolution. I'd rather be able to maintain the 60FPS.

    EDIT: After I clean installed Windows 10, I installed ASUS Splendid but it wasn't working properly. It didn't bother me because I use the Windows 10 Night Light feature, but still.
    I advise your to switch to PCDIga.
    Just go check this same laptop there

    Regarding the GPU, I advise you to uninstall MSI Afterburner and reinstall it afterwards.
    Something is definitely wrong.

    If you will game with only 1 monitor at 1080p, yes it will be nice.
    Getting 60fps will depend on the game. GTA V is a fight (with undervolting and cooler), but American Truck Simulator gets that easy.
    Gaming with 4 monitor at 1080p is the same as 1 monitor at 4k resolution.
    At 4k even the GTX 1080 struggles...

  9. #19
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    16

    Quote Originally Posted by hitardo View Post
    I advise your to switch to PCDIga.
    Just go check this same laptop there

    Regarding the GPU, I advise you to uninstall MSI Afterburner and reinstall it afterwards.
    Something is definitely wrong.

    If you will game with only 1 monitor at 1080p, yes it will be nice.
    Getting 60fps will depend on the game. GTA V is a fight (with undervolting and cooler), but American Truck Simulator gets that easy.
    Gaming with 4 monitor at 1080p is the same as 1 monitor at 4k resolution.
    At 4k even the GTX 1080 struggles...
    I'm familiar with PCDIGA. I bought mine at Worten at the same price.
    I will do that but I even installed some different software to try and undervolt the GPU and wasn't able to do it. But I'll try again.
    Yes, 4K is hard to do, borderline impossible. It's just really for work, so I can use several workspaces at the same time. And mostly because I'm curious. :P

  10. #20
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    41

    Quote Originally Posted by xelas_bigmac View Post
    I'm familiar with PCDIGA. I bought mine at Worten at the same price.
    I will do that but I even installed some different software to try and undervolt the GPU and wasn't able to do it. But I'll try again.
    Yes, 4K is hard to do, borderline impossible. It's just really for work, so I can use several workspaces at the same time. And mostly because I'm curious. :P
    I will be waiting your feedback on those two subjects: undervolting your GPU and 4 monitors connected to the laptop.

    Cheers!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •