Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by hitardo View Post
    I will be waiting your feedback on those two subjects: undervolting your GPU and 4 monitors connected to the laptop.

Cheers!
    Tomorrow I'm going to try undervolting the GPU with AB. But I just wanted to confirm if you can only do that by downloading the profile file provided a few posts back. I tried doing it with the sliders, which I can't change. I think I tried with the profile by downloading the latest non-beta version of MSI AB and then using the profile provided but I must have missed something so I'm going to try again tomorrow. However, I wanted to know if I have to do something differently. Is it just donwload the latest version of AB and the profile linked, install it, put the profile in the folder, unlock the voltage in the settings, restart the laptop and, choose the profile that suits me and that's it? Also, are the settings applied when booting automatically? Finally, can and should I change the voltage settings file provided to suit my laptop or should I just leave the file as is and select the best profile? And if I can change the settings, can someone explain better how the voltages work? I understood the CPU settings in that we simply choose an offset that will remain constant and the voltage will dynamically adapt. But the GPU, as far as I read, is a little different and I'm curious to know how it works or if it's exactly the same as undervolting the CPU. Thanks

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by xelas_bigmac View Post
    Tomorrow I'm going to try undervolting the GPU with AB. But I just wanted to confirm if you can only do that by downloading the profile file provided a few posts back. I tried doing it with the sliders, which I can't change. I think I tried with the profile by downloading the latest non-beta version of MSI AB and then using the profile provided but I must have missed something so I'm going to try again tomorrow. However, I wanted to know if I have to do something differently. Is it just donwload the latest version of AB and the profile linked, install it, put the profile in the folder, unlock the voltage in the settings, restart the laptop and, choose the profile that suits me and that's it? Also, are the settings applied when booting automatically? Finally, can and should I change the voltage settings file provided to suit my laptop or should I just leave the file as is and select the best profile? And if I can change the settings, can someone explain better how the voltages work? I understood the CPU settings in that we simply choose an offset that will remain constant and the voltage will dynamically adapt. But the GPU, as far as I read, is a little different and I'm curious to know how it works or if it's exactly the same as undervolting the CPU. Thanks
    As you asked a lot of questions, I will answer each one in different paragraphs.

Forget the slider.
    The slider is good for desktop GPUs, not for laptop GPUs.

After installing MSI AfterBurner, you should unlock the "unlock voltage control" and "unlock voltage monitoring".
    I have all the boxes checked in the "Compatibility properties" sub-menu, except the "Force constant voltage", which should keep disabled.

To apply such changes on Windows startup, select the Windows logo on the left side of the UI, where tir says "Startup".
    Also, under Settings, mark "Start with Windows" and "Start minimized", under "General properties" sub-menu.

I advise you to choose the Profile number 5, to begin with, as it is the smalles undervolting. Mine can go up to the profile number 3, but the profile number 1 gave me some problems in games. Profile number 2 was not tested.

Regarding the undervolting methodology, in the GPU side it is a little bit different:
    For each frequency, you assign a different voltage, e.g. when the GPU is at 139MHz, give it a 625mV; but in 1400MHz, it should have 900mV.
    What the curve does is: increasing the frequency for each voltage point, i.e. to achieve a voltage point the GPU should be in a higher frequency.
    As the frequency range is determined by the OEM in the chip firmware - and you should not do overclocking in it - this results in an undervolting of the GPU.
    Was I clear enough?

The Instructions are:
    - Download and install MSI Afterburner here or directly here;
    - Restart your PC;
    - Launch MSI Afterburner and click on Settings (the gear button, on the center);
    - Check the options "Unlock Voltage Control" and "Unlock Voltage Monitoring";
    - Hit "Ok" and close the program (make sure it was properly closed in the tray area);
    - Download the GTX 1060 voltage profile here;
    - Go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles" and copy the name of the *CFG file that starts with "VEN_";
    - Change the name of my GTX 1060 voltage profile to the name copied before by you;
    - OPTIONAL: Make a copy of your Default voltage profile for backup;
    - Launch MSI Afterburner;
    - Select the lock symbol above the profiles, on the right, to unlock profile choosing;
    - Select the Profile number 1;
    - Hit CTRL+F on your keyboard and you will see the voltage curve, looking like this screenshot;
    - Close the curve window;
    - Click on the check mark on the center, to apply the changes;
    - Click on the floppy disk on the left, to save your settings;
    - Minimize MSI Afterburner ;
    - All done! Let's play.

To help you see this procedure, I advise you to see this video.

ROG Member Array

Thanks. Later I started reading a little more and understood better the way undervolting the GPU works but your explanation is great!
    I'll try undervolting later during the day and I'll post the results here.
    Last edited by xelas_bigmac; 08-08-2017 at 12:42 PM.

ROG Member Array

I was able to do all and even ran Furmark for a few minutes after applying the profiles. I applied all 5 without issues. However, when I used GPU-Z to check my voltage settings, it didn't change at all after applying different profiles. Also, the temperatures remained more or less the same when stress testing or idling. Also, when stress testing the Core speed was constant at 1025MHz and the Memory clock at 4000+MHz and the voltage at 0.700+V. When idling, it stays at 0,6300+V, sometimes going below 0,600V. Anyway, this was my experience. I think I'll just leave it stock since it seems I'm not doing anything at all. By the way, I enabled the voltage control and all the settings that are suggested.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by xelas_bigmac View Post
    I was able to do all and even ran Furmark for a few minutes after applying the profiles. I applied all 5 without issues. However, when I used GPU-Z to check my voltage settings, it didn't change at all after applying different profiles. Also, the temperatures remained more or less the same when stress testing or idling. Also, when stress testing the Core speed was constant at 1025MHz and the Memory clock at 4000+MHz and the voltage at 0.700+V. When idling, it stays at 0,6300+V, sometimes going below 0,600V. Anyway, this was my experience. I think I'll just leave it stock since it seems I'm not doing anything at all. By the way, I enabled the voltage control and all the settings that are suggested.
    I will assume that all the values (frequency and voltage) are for the GPU.
    Did you applied some changes to your CPU?

It seems like your GPU is not reaching its full clock speed.
    If, during a stress test, your maximum frequency is 1025MHz, then it is not reaching its maximum clock speed of ~1400Mhz.
    You can check it here.

Please, use MSI Afterburner to check voltages (on the right) and frequency (on the left).
    In a dynamic way, during a stress test or while playing a game, MSI Afterburner is a better way to measure this type of sensible data.

HWMontiro available here is also a good choice.
    It records minimum, maximum and average values, while showing current data.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by hitardo View Post
    I will assume that all the values (frequency and voltage) are for the GPU.
    Did you applied some changes to your CPU?

It seems like your GPU is not reaching its full clock speed.
    If, during a stress test, your maximum frequency is 1025MHz, then it is not reaching its maximum clock speed of ~1400Mhz.
    You can check it here.

Please, use MSI Afterburner to check voltages (on the right) and frequency (on the left).
    In a dynamic way, during a stress test or while playing a game, MSI Afterburner is a better way to measure this type of sensible data.

HWMontiro available here is also a good choice.
    It records minimum, maximum and average values, while showing current data.

Sorry, I had a typo. I meant 2025MHz. However, now I applied profile 2 and let it be to avoid any issues. It stays almost constant at around 1800+MHz. The temps stay around 40ºC when working with many applications running and, when idling and left alone, it remains at low 30ºC both the CPU and GPU. When doing a stress test for 20 or 30 minutes, I was able to get the CPU to 95ºC and the GPU to 85ºC. When benchmarkinh, it all stays at 70+ºC. I don't think it's bad. But I'm curious about the clock speed going above the turbo clock speed anounced (1670MHz). I didn't change anything other than the profile.

ROG Member Array

Does that intel extreme tuning adjustment need to be made and at the same time ThrottleStop adjustment when both display Core Voltage Offset and Cache Voltage Offset?
    That is enough to do ThrottleStop alone
    Program adjustments? I could not even look like a GTX 1060 mobile video card, even though I did the following: MSI Afterburner:

https://postimg.org/image/4hr7e7a8r/

Where's the fault?

ROG Member Array

You change the settings in either application. You can use one or the other, not both. Intel XTU changes the cache and core voltage simultaneously, ie., when you change one, it changes the other automatically. Throttlestop doesnt, so beware. Other than that, bot work great. MSI AB Works but you have to do exactly what is instructed in the first page. Cheers

ROG Member Array

I do not understand why the voltage curve does not change in accordance with the screenshot, even if I do the instructions. Is there any other way to do it?
    GTX 1060 Mobile

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Ydintalvi View Post
    I do not understand why the voltage curve does not change in accordance with the screenshot, even if I do the instructions. Is there any other way to do it?
    GTX 1060 Mobile
    Try to repeat the process.
    Uninstall MSI Afterburner if necessary.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast