cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD BIOS Major Stability and Memory Compatibility Update, status?

danjw
Level 10
I had heard this was due in May, so I was wondering if this is still the current time frame?
3 REPLIES 3

entropic-remnan
Level 9
danjw wrote:
I had heard this was due in May, so I was wondering if this is still the current time frame?

Not sure about the official release. If you were following recent events you know an "official" 1106 bios was released and withdrawn. An unofficial (well, it's from the official dev team but not officially released) BIOS 1107 is available and I'm using it with much better success. I can clock my dual rank Samsung E-die sticks (2x8) to the full rated 3200 mhz with a 2666 memory speed and 120 bclk. I couldn't do that on any previous BIOS.

Also 1107 supports the ProcODT feature which allows you to match the termination impedance on the processor to the characteristic impedance of the memory. In the case of my Corsair Dominator Platinum that turns out to be 68.8 ohms. This feature alone is possibly the major factor in stable cold booting and solid memory performance.

Overclocking memory has not been successful for me, but simply running at the rated 3200 mhz is huge to me so I'm delighted.

If you get tired of waiting for an update that may come much later in May, locate the 1107 and give it a spin.
Tired of trolls and mods that act like this platform has no problems and it's the users fault. Later.

MNMadman
Level 8
danjw wrote:

That May time frame was for the update to go from AMD to manufacturers. The manufacturers then have to produce updates for each board from that.

Being only two days into May, I doubt there has been a change to the time frame yet. AMD has been good at keeping us informed.

MNMadman wrote:
That May time frame was for the update to go from AMD to manufacturers. The manufacturers then have to produce updates for each board from that.

Being only two days into May, I doubt there has been a change to the time frame yet. AMD has been good at keeping us informed.

I am looking to build a new system in June. I did realize that AMD would be sending it to the motherboard manufacturers and they needed to then produce their own variants.

I expect that what AMD provides is libraries, so it may be as simple as running a build and testing. Of course, it will take time for QA to work through testing, but, much of that is often automated. Anyway, I wouldn't expect that the turnaround time for the manufacturers would be all that significant, maybe a week or two at worst.