cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speakers and Headphones through Read Audio Jacks

Dreaden
Level 7
Is there a way to plug in both stereo speakers and headphones through the rear ports and switch between them through software? My front panel jacks broke and I don't want to reach back there every time I have to switch

I have the Maximus VIII Hero
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
There is only one analog output. If you can use the optical output then you can switch between outputs with the Windows audio controls. I have a little FIIO DAC connected to optical and my analog speakers plugged into that. So you don't necessarily need speakers that have an optical input as you can add it.

The easiest solution would be to use a splitter and turn down the speakers when you use the headphones (if they have a physical volume control).
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
There is only one analog output. If you can use the optical output then you can switch between outputs with the Windows audio controls. I have a little FIIO DAC connected to optical and my analog speakers plugged into that. So you don't necessarily need speakers that have an optical input as you can add it.

The easiest solution would be to use a splitter and turn down the speakers when you use the headphones (if they have a physical volume control).

Is there a big quality drop by using a slitter? Any recommendations on brands?

xeromist
As long as it's not a huge long cable the quality shouldn't be bad. For something a few inches the brand isn't really important. Generic house brand is fine.

The only issue would be if there is a significant difference in impedance. For example, if the speakers are unpowered and require a lot of juice to drive then you could damage the headphones by overdriving them. However, that's unlikely. I'm guessing your speakers are powered with a volume knob which means they can take a lower input and amplify it. If I were going to use a splitter I would set the system volume comfortable for the headphones and then adjust the volume on the speakers appropriately.

Splitters aren't expensive so you could always try this and if you aren't happy with the results go for something more expensive like a stand alone amp with several outputs.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…