New ROGer Array

Speakers and Headphones through Read Audio Jacks

Is there a way to plug in both stereo speakers and headphones through the rear ports and switch between them through software? My front panel jacks broke and I don't want to reach back there every time I have to switch

I have the Maximus VIII Hero

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

There is only one analog output. If you can use the optical output then you can switch between outputs with the Windows audio controls. I have a little FIIO DAC connected to optical and my analog speakers plugged into that. So you don't necessarily need speakers that have an optical input as you can add it.

The easiest solution would be to use a splitter and turn down the speakers when you use the headphones (if they have a physical volume control).
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    There is only one analog output. If you can use the optical output then you can switch between outputs with the Windows audio controls. I have a little FIIO DAC connected to optical and my analog speakers plugged into that. So you don't necessarily need speakers that have an optical input as you can add it.

The easiest solution would be to use a splitter and turn down the speakers when you use the headphones (if they have a physical volume control).
    Is there a big quality drop by using a slitter? Any recommendations on brands?

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

As long as it's not a huge long cable the quality shouldn't be bad. For something a few inches the brand isn't really important. Generic house brand is fine.

The only issue would be if there is a significant difference in impedance. For example, if the speakers are unpowered and require a lot of juice to drive then you could damage the headphones by overdriving them. However, that's unlikely. I'm guessing your speakers are powered with a volume knob which means they can take a lower input and amplify it. If I were going to use a splitter I would set the system volume comfortable for the headphones and then adjust the volume on the speakers appropriately.

Splitters aren't expensive so you could always try this and if you aren't happy with the results go for something more expensive like a stand alone amp with several outputs.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!