Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array davemon50 PC Specs
    davemon50 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY-DH72 (17") and Asus G752VT-DH74 (17")
    MotherboardAsus ROG LGA2011-v3 Rampage V Edition 10, x99 EATX
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-6950X Extreme 10-core 25MB Cache 3.0 GHz
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance LPX Red DDR4 DRAM 64GB-4x16 3333 (CMK64GX4M4B3333C16R)
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 Fury 4GB HBM Backplate
    Graphics Card #2Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 Fury 4GB HBM Backplate
    Sound CardAsus SupremeFX Hi-Fi Audio DAC
    Monitor(2) Dell UltraSharp U2515H 25-inch monitors
    Storage #1(4) SSD's - Samsung 960 & 970 1TB M.2, Intel 535 480G, Intel 510 250G
    Storage #2(3) HDD's - Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5-in SATA III 64MB Cache
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro Series H80
    CaseCorsair Obsidian Series 650D Black, ATX, Mid Tower
    Power SupplyCorsair Digital AXi-Series AX1200i (1200W) 80+ Platinum Rating
    Keyboard Logitech Wireless K360
    Mouse Logitech Wireless MX Anywhere 2
    Headset HyperX Cloud II
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Yeah I was just joking about the price. Decent ones are in the range you suggested.
    Davemon50

Ex-employee Array

Quote Originally Posted by davemon50 View Post
    Yeah I was just joking about the price. Decent ones are in the range you suggested.
    Sorry, didn't catch that.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

Having recently looked quite closely at a whole bunch of current ASUS and ASUS/ROG mobos, I gotta say they're all rather magnificent. There's really no such thing as a "cheap" DDR4-based motherboard, the other mobo makers also offer some great products, but ASUS seems to consistently offer the best baseline and the ultimate last-word in hardware quality that I've seen.

A lot of the suggestions in this thread are already included on the latest ROG mobos. I'm not sure if our suggestions are redundant because they're already "standard issue", or if they're redundant because the ROG team has independently decided to implement them anyhow, or if indeed some of the (mostly minor) things we wanted were implemented as last-minute changes before final product releases. So whatever the reason behind giving us the specs and the looks we wanted, I commend the people at ASUS for building us these awesome mobos. I'm a cynic, I originally thought (lol, maybe still think) that the ASUS folks were using this thread primarily for marketing, smile-and-nod handwaving, just telling people what they want to hear. But I'm genuinely impressed by what I've seen so far in the final ASUS product. I'm even impressed by how it compares vs non-ASUS counterparts. Thanx!

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

ASUS marketing obviously already knows how to sell their stuff, lol, and I hardly need to tell them how to do their jobs because there's really no substitute for success.

Still I gotta say I don't think customers (as in: people who just want to buy a motherboard or computer) really understand all the markets and niches and pricing tiers and tradeoffs the same way ASUS does. A huge number of computer buyers don't at all know (or really care) what all the technobabble actually means, as long as the thing fits their budget and does what they want. Many ROG buyers are expertly tech-savvy, they gotta have all the specs and benchmarks, the numbers, the features, the brag and the swag. But many other ROG buyers are just looking for an awesome gaming computer, in fact their decision to choose ROG was probably qualified by nothing more than "ROG is the best" being parroted by all the gamers/reviewers they've consulted. Many people say "money is no object" then balk after discovering that really high-end computing platforms can cost $5K~$10K or more.

But looking at current ASUS Z270/LGA1151 motherboards ...
    .. PRIME Z270A and Z270AR and Z270K and Z270M+ and Z270P, MAXIMUS IX Hero and Code and Formula and Apex and Extreme, STRIX GAMING Z270E and Z270F and Z270G and Z270H and Z270I, TUF Z270 Mark I and Mark II, Workstation Z270WS ...

That's 18 different models! And they all look really good!
    But which is best: a Z270A/AR/E/F/G/H/I/K/M/P/WS, a Mark I or Mark II, a PRIME or a MAXIMUS or a STRIX or a TUF? Are STRIX and TUF different from ROG?

Add in H270 models (PRIME H270+/H270M+/H270PRO and STRIX H270F/H270I) and B250 models (PRIME B250+/B250MA/B250MK/B250M+ and STRIX B250F/B250G/B250H/B250I) and the list of i200 Series ASUS motherboards increases from 18 to 31.

Add in i100 Series (B150, H110, H170, Z170) ASUS motherboards and the list of LGA1151-compatible ASUS mobos increases from 31 to 54. We see more PRIME and STRIX and MAXIMUS but also new designations like PREMIUM and PRO and GENE and ALPHA and AURA.

Isn't AURA (or M.2, WIFI, etc) already built into other ROG mobos? Is PRO GAMING better than straight GAMING? Is the MAXIMUS EXTREME/ASSEMBLY better than the MAXIMUS EXTREME and MAXIMUS CODE put together?

Add in the upcoming i300 Series ASUS mobos and there'll probably be around 75 different LGA1151-compatible ASUS mobo variants, alongside another half dozen confusing names and designations!

And let's not even count all the other motherboards with Intel chipsets and sockets. Or all the AMD motherboards. Or all the other LGA1151 motherboards made by a half-dozen competitors. An uninformed and confused motherboard buyer becomes utterly lost and bewildered with so many choices, he has vague ideas about what he wants and what he can spend, he has no real idea of what he needs and what's important and what's worth paying a little extra for and what's useless, he's just confronted by a plethora of surprisingly complex choices and relentlessly aggressive marketing that says if he wants the best he has to buy everything.

Yes, we here in the ROG Forums already know the answers to most of the above questions.

But normal people do not.
    And they have no way to answer these questions (aside from spending many hours online, partly at these forums). Technically-disinterested people who just want "the best" personal, business, or gaming computer they can buy tend to be more interested in getting straight answers than in getting complicated decisions. I'm sure many of them move beyond ASUS and buy (lesser!) brands or even (yucky!) prebuilt systems because hours of comparison at sites like www.asus.com are just more headache than they expected. (Not helped by the many inconsistencies in ASUS web tools which offset unrelated things and make side-by-side product comparisons into a real chore, but I've mentioned that before.)

I suggest ASUS implements some kind of "Online motherboard wizard" page which asks questions and narrows down answers. Stuff like "What do you plan use your computer for? (Netflix and Youtube, Word and Excel, Grand Theft Auto)", "How many graphic cards do you plan to run?", "Will you overclock?", etc. A list of ASUS mobos can be presented at each step, along with some brief highlights about their features and specs. Ask all the questions an informed builder would ask to cull away all the "wrong" choices until only one or a few "right" choices remain. Provide links to summarized explanations about what a "Skylake" or a "H170" or a "mATX" is and how it compares vs a "Kaby Lake" or a "Z270" or a "EATX", assume people don't know technology and need the answers at their fingertips - don't give them any excuse to leave the site until they're done!

None of the other mobo makers seems to do this, either. An opportunity for ASUS Innovation?
    Last edited by Korth; 06-29-2017 at 08:11 AM.

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

There's a very basic picker on some of the microsites: https://www.asus.com/MICROSITE/best-.../EN/index.aspx

Not great. I'm pushing to get some of our buying guides embedded for users that need a bit more steering. We won't cover the whole gamut of boards, but that should help narrow things down somewhat.

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korth View Post

But perhaps this mobo-iGPU part needn't be wasted PCB space sitting inert when unneeded ... it could be used to drive an external/addon display ... say a cool ROG_EXT device like a new generation OC Panel or Front Base which neatly fits into a drive bay and offers a real bonafide (very user-customizable!) display panel, possibly even a touchscreen. It seems like an excellent interface for accessing BIOS functions, hardware troubleshooting messages, wallpaper and hardware monitor and user security, even interfacing directly with ASUS software.
    I know. I very much like where Aqua Computer are going with some of their stuff, though understand the pic frame options with AIDA etc., too...

I'm letting this thread run for a while more, and after that we'll consolidate the feedback and see what the product managers want to do...heh. Lots of good ideas to work with.

ROG Member Array mhe PC Specs
    mhe PC Specs
    MotherboardSTRIX X299-XE
    Processor7900X @4.5GHz
    Graphics Card #1STRIX RTX 2080Ti
    MonitorPhilips BDM4065UC
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
    CPU CoolerEK Strix X299 Monoblock
    CaseO11D XL
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i
    Keyboard ROG Claymore
    Mouse Asus ROG Spatha
    Headset SteelSeries Wireless Pro
    OS Win 10 Pro 64Bit
    Accessory #1 Valve Index
    Accessory #2 Obutto r3volution

Quote Originally Posted by Bahz View Post
    Thanks for sharing all your ideas, they're extremely well thought out and all make sense. I'm going to have to take some time to digest all of the ideas you shared. Regarding to cases and fans because we already have so many ROG certified partners that offer these products, I don't see us investing towards developing this from our own end, at least not in the short term. For ROG AIO cooler, I can see this being something that would be desired by a lot of ROG fans and EK is a very close partner that I think will want to do something like this and I can see it happening.
    Thanks, Bahz. There may be more ideas coming but I'd really like to contribute more in terms of integrating Aura with Q-Fan controls and probably ROG_Ext bus stuff.

I've been tinkering with RGB in cases before Aura was a thing, but that has been limited by many variables in the past, it would be nice if this Aura/Q-Fan/ROGExt hybrid could do everything an Aquaero controller can do and then some. That itself would be a buying argument for RoG boards to the extent that this functionality as a standalone solution would almost rival the cost of a current RoG board itself.

I do understand that some of my thoughts may be incomplete, so if questions come up I'd happily contribute in some more brainstorming.
    Last edited by mhe; 06-29-2017 at 01:17 PM.

ROG Member Array

poseidon 1080 ti

hi all
    as a newbie you may think this is a wacky idea , i am planning on getting one of these in the future , but was just wondering if the infinity rgb light on the side of the card which i actually don't mind , would be better as a mini display to maybe monitor performance at a glance ,since most have glass or perspex sides on the cases .

Ex-employee Array

Quote Originally Posted by mhe View Post
    Thanks, Bahz. There may be more ideas coming but I'd really like to contribute more in terms of integrating Aura with Q-Fan controls and probably ROG_Ext bus stuff.

I've been tinkering with RGB in cases before Aura was a thing, but that has been limited by many variables in the past, it would be nice if this Aura/Q-Fan/ROGExt hybrid could do everything an Aquaero controller can do and then some. That itself would be a buying argument for RoG boards to the extent that this functionality as a standalone solution would almost rival the cost of a current RoG board itself.

I do understand that some of my thoughts may be incomplete, so if questions come up I'd happily contribute in some more brainstorming.
    I the things mentioned by you are definitely the next steps for AURA, with the SDK now released I think it'll be possible to keep expanding the functionality and compatibility. I would still consider AURA in the early stages right now and there's a lot more to develop and expand on. Thanks again for your feedback.

Ex-employee Array

Quote Originally Posted by eddie.long View Post
    hi all
    as a newbie you may think this is a wacky idea , i am planning on getting one of these in the future , but was just wondering if the infinity rgb light on the side of the card which i actually don't mind , would be better as a mini display to maybe monitor performance at a glance ,since most have glass or perspex sides on the cases .
    It's a good idea, we'll pass it over to our VGA team. Thanks for sharing

Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast