Threaded View

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ha|o_003 View Post
    Hi Raja, really cool of you guys to solicit feedback like this.

First, I agree with MassNerd's M.2 idea above, being able to fit 4-8 M.2 SATA SSDs in an enclosure the size of a 2.5" SSD would be a great way to minimize volume required for drives. Personally I have 5 2.5" drives, and if I could reduce that down to an enclosure the size of one that would be really cool.

Second, I would love to see ASUS release a high end small form factor board. Make it in for X299 and X370, price it around $300, and give it two PCI-E x16 slots. No board like this exists, and would be the only choice for those who want to run single slot SLI or Crossfire in an ITX size chassis. The majority of ITX cases also have two slots, so I doubt that fitment would be an issue. I have seen a lot more interest in ITX systems lately, but lack of board options is quite problematic. I would have upgraded from my X79 Sabertooth by now if a board had been released with the right feature set.

This kind of move allows ASUS to dominate that niche, and could be a lower volume, higher margin product. Because ATX and mATX are so saturated, there are only two ways to compete: Price, and features. Going after a niche market would allow a higher margin product and at a reduced level of competition. (Similar to EVGA's dominance with the SR-2). As far as the features on the board, I would give it the same feature set as the Z270 STRIX has, with the addition of a USB-C port. For a higher volume variant, another board could be made with a single PCI-E x16 slot. For branding, the single slot board could just stick to the STRIX brand; "ASUS ROG STRIX X370 mITX", while the dual slot could be something like "ASUS ROG STRIX X370 SLI/CFX mITX".

Thanks for the feedback. Its a busy year for motherboards, so Im sure you'll see something you like