cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GameFirst IV - Flagged as malware by McAfee

Milambar
Level 7
I acquired a brand new ROG GL502VT recently and absolutely love it. It came with a free McAfee Antivirus Subscription, the store requires it for warranty purposes.

Everything was great until McAfee did its first scan. It immediately quarrantined two files, c:\Program Files (x86)\Asus\Game First IV\nfapi.dll and nfapinet.dll. I re-downloaded the GameFirst IV software from Asus, and reinstalled it. Two days later, McAfee again flagged the same two files as malware.

I have been in touch with McAfee Support, and even got through to one of their software engineers, who checked the files for me and confirmed that its not a false positive, it is a true positive, and McAfee are classifying them as malware.

I am wondering what the next appropriate step to resolve this issue will be, and if I actually need GameFirst IV installed in the first place. I can't seem to find a lot of information about it.

Many Thanks
29 REPLIES 29

MassNerd
Level 7
Milambar wrote:
I acquired a brand new ROG GL502VT recently and absolutely love it. It came with a free McAfee Antivirus Subscription, the store requires it for warranty purposes.

Everything was great until McAfee did its first scan. It immediately quarrantined two files, c:\Program Files (x86)\Asus\Game First IV\nfapi.dll and nfapinet.dll. I re-downloaded the GameFirst IV software from Asus, and reinstalled it. Two days later, McAfee again flagged the same two files as malware.

I have been in touch with McAfee Support, and even got through to one of their software engineers, who checked the files for me and confirmed that its not a false positive, it is a true positive, and McAfee are classifying them as malware.

I am wondering what the next appropriate step to resolve this issue will be, and if I actually need GameFirst IV installed in the first place. I can't seem to find a lot of information about it.

Many Thanks

Hey Asus,
You need to address this one. I'm getting the same warning, but on a ROG Strix Z270 motherboard with a RX480 Strix GPU and the drivers installed from your website.

Bahz
Level 12
I can tell you it's definitely a false positive, why their rep said it's a true positive is a big question mark as we don't put malware in our software. Unfortunately the antivirus software needs to be willing to update their database to allow this file to be recognized as secure. Almost all antivirus software update this once a month based on the reports from users and their own verification. You will experience the same issues with many other antivirus programs and unfortunately the only thing you can do is report it as a false positive and hope that it gets added to their secure list. If it doesn't and you wish to use this software then please uninstall the antivirus and try a different antivirus program.

I will send this over to our software team and I can tell you they will probably say the same thing. It's not the first time an antivirus software has flagged our software with true positive but in the end they admit they were wrong privately but not to the public.

Bahz
Level 12
I contacted our software team and they confirmed that they need to submit update all updates to McAfee every time and appears the last update wasn't submitted. This issue should be resolved within 2-3 weeks.

Still unresolved. McAfee deleted the dll in my laptop. I contacted them and they suggested me to send it to McAfee labs. They maintain that the file is a virus. By the way, gmail detects it as a virus as well.

Hi,

In my G752VS occurs the same: McAfee show NFAPI.DLL like a virus or trojan 😞

Bahz
Level 12
I will check with our team again, they said they already contacted McAfee to resolve this. I will update again as soon as possible.

Bahz
Level 12
Can everyone experiencing this issue please share your software version? This is required by our software team.

Bahz wrote:
Can everyone experiencing this issue please share your software version? This is required by our software team.

I am on avast Free Antivirus and the Game First IV that came on driver disk that was inside the motherboard box got flagged as malware/virus I immediately formatted my SSD and re installed the OS and downloaded the Game first Software from the Asus site. For Avast the one from the Asus website site didn't flag anything up as malware or a virus. My OS is Windows 10 Pro Version: 10.0.15063 Build 15063 as for the game first version that was originally installed sorry I disposed of the disk so I don't know that version. It seems it may well be a legitimate malware/virus since the files differ from the disk and online version.

AliAPCMR wrote:
I am on avast Free Antivirus and the Game First IV that came on driver disk that was inside the motherboard box got flagged as malware/virus I immediately formatted my SSD and re installed the OS and downloaded the Game first Software from the Asus site. For Avast the one from the Asus website site didn't flag anything up as malware or a virus. My OS is Windows 10 Pro Version: 10.0.15063 Build 15063 as for the game first version that was originally installed sorry I disposed of the disk so I don't know that version. It seems it may well be a legitimate malware/virus since the files differ from the disk and online version.

Sorry I'm a bit confused, so the current version is "not" flagged in Avast right?