cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

m.2 Samsung 960 doesn't always boot with Maximus ix hero

willkill7
Level 7
Having issues with my 512GB m.2 960 Samsung not always booting up windows. Once in about 10 times, from either reset, or shutdown, the screen will flash a few times at startup, then go into bios. I then check bios for boot disk (the m.2), and my m.2 is missing.

How I fix it is I turn off the computer all the way, and unplug it. Then the m.2 shows up again.

It's in the M_1 slot near the CPU and it's set to 4x (if that matters). I have all drivers up to date, and my bios is up to date with the newest version. It's running PCIe not sata.
14 REPLIES 14

willkill7
Level 7
Also, I notice the 960 will sometimes read as 3x2 instead of 3x4 when I open samsung magician, even though in the bios I set it to 4x. Is this motherboard not compatible with Samsung s.2s? I've ran a ton of error and benchmark test on the m.2, everything is clear.

FuryA
Level 8
hi, wi
advice that could try to test different NVMe M.2 SSD?
and update 960 Pro as You can

Do not have access to another m.2.

Is there anyway in BIOS that I can set M_1 to 4x? I just noticed I was setting the wrong PCIe to 4x.

Also, I noticed with the newest BIOS update the boot time has more than doubled.... Used to be like 17s now it's like 30.

Not a big deal, I'd rather just have my samsung m.2 running at 4x and booting windows 100% than a fast boot time.

So after some quick QA Engineering, I noticed that sticking it into m_2 and setting m_2 to 4x on BIOS seems to have worked (Even though it disabled some of my SATA ports). I'm guessing there is an issue with the M_1 slot in this newest version of the BIOS (which is def slow lol).

Hope this helps anyone who is having the same issue. I'll keep everyone updated if it breaks again, but this is my current fix :cool:

willkill7 wrote:
So after some quick QA Engineering, I noticed that sticking it into m_2 and setting m_2 to 4x on BIOS seems to have worked (Even though it disabled some of my SATA ports). I'm guessing there is an issue with the M_1 slot in this newest version of the BIOS (which is def slow lol).

Hope this helps anyone who is having the same issue. I'll keep everyone updated if it breaks again, but this is my current fix :cool:

If you look at the manual, the M.2_1 slot supports both PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA mode for M.2 PCIe devices.
Although it doesn't state it, but if M.2_1 is in SATA mode, SATA 1 & SATA 2 ports are probably both disabled.

This was clearly noted in the Maximus VIII Hero manual, but possibly overlooked in the IX Hero manual.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
If you look at the manual, the M.2_1 slot supports both PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA mode for M.2 PCIe devices.
Although it doesn't state it, but if M.2_1 is in SATA mode, SATA 1 & SATA 2 ports are probably both disabled.

This was clearly noted in the Maximus VIII Hero manual, but possibly overlooked in the IX Hero manual.

Yea I read this on a few forums. Right now SATA 5 and 6 are disabled for me because I'm running 4x on M.2_2.

My m.2 is PCIe though, so SATA 1 and 2 should not be affected if I throw it in M.2_1.

I'm not using 1 and 2 anyway though as my SATA SSD is connected to SATA 3.

I think this is an issue is either overheating or compatibility, but I'm not an expert and I don't have the tools to fully QA this. But I hope what I do find helps to correcting the issue. TBH I noticed it being in slot M_2 makes it run bit cooler, which is nice. Also it's always 3x4 and I haven't noticed a bad boot (BIOS not detecting M.2) yet 🙂

Chino
Level 15

I've had my m.2 drive plugged in m2_1 since the build a couple months back. Zero issues and I am at BIOS 906. Might be something more specific to the Samsung 960

My ramblings on the subject.

Chino wrote:
Is your SSD updated to the latest firmware? I read somewhere they fixed some problems with booting.

Just saw you can update firmware via ISO boot... About to try that and see if that fixes it! Thank you!! (It says it fixed the disappearing issue. Dunno if it will fix the 3x4 issue though.)

I have latest 2.2 drivers

Also on MAXIMUS IX HERO BIOS 0906