cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung M.2 disappears with X.M.P. enabled

LogicalUnit
Level 7
Hi guys,

I've just built a new computer using an ASUS ROG Strix X99 Gaming motherboard (BIOS 0601), and I have been having a strange problem:

When I use safe defaults in BIOS, my Samsung 960 PRO NVMe M.2 1TB SSD is visible under boot devices, and can be used normally. I've installed Windows 10 on it, and I'm booted into it right now.

However, when I enable X.M.P. profile #1 and reboot, the device is not visible under boot devices and cannot be booted.

Loading X.M.P. profile #1 makes the following changes:

Ai Overclock Tuner [Auto]->[XMP]
CPU Strap [Auto]->[125MHz]
BCLK Frequency [100.0]->[125.0]
CPU Core Ratio [By Specific Core]->[Sync All Cores]
1-Core Ration Limit [Auto]->[32]
2-Core Ration Limit [Auto]->[32]
3-Core Ration Limit [Auto]->[32]
4-Core Ration Limit [Auto]->[32]
5-Core Ration Limit [Auto]->[32]
6-Core Ration Limit [Auto]->[32]
Min. CPU Cache Ratio [Auto]->[24]
Max. CPU Cache Ratio [Auto]->[24]
DRAM Frequency [Auto]->[DDR4-3000MHz]

Does anyone recognise something in that list which might interfere with an M.2 SSD?

I had made some changes in Asus AI Suite 3. Is it possible I changed something in Profile #1 which could be to blame?

Any help greatly appeciated.

PS My RAM is 4x8GB Corsair 3000Mhz RGB.

PPS I have not attempted to reset CMOS yet. It's possible that X.M.P. profile #1 was originally working and I changed something to break it.
8 REPLIES 8

Menthol
Level 14
LogicalUnit,
Welcome to the ROG forums, I am not sure why it disappears but the 125 blck can at minimum hinder the M.2 performance, usually reduce it to 3.0x2 instead of 3.0x4
If you list all your hardware, especially the exact memory kit you can be helped better, we can probably help you manually tune the memory for good performance at a blck of 100

LU, I am using that same M.2 drive at 1TB and didn't have any issues after enabling XMP on the RVE10 and using default values. I would suggest going in and either manually updating or at least reviewing the timings and voltages that were set for you. The RVE10 changed mine to BLCK 125 also, but the drive has not shown any unusual behavior as a result.

I read elsewhere also that someone solved that issue by updating the firmware on their SSD. You might check to see if it's the latest.
Davemon50

Thanks for the replies,

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB CMR32GX4M4C3000C15 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4
CPU: Intel i7 6850K
SSD: Samsung 960 PRO NVMe M.2 1TB
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti 11GB OC
PSU: Corsair HX750i

I'm thinking I should flash the BIOS. What's the easiest way to do this?

Yep, flashing the BIOS to 1504 seems to have done the trick. In fact the download notes specifically refer to an issue with Samsung drives.

Thanks very much for the suggestions 🙂

maxmayer
Level 7
i have an intel M2 drive and a Asus z170 a mother board. i normally dont overclock as the results are not worth it. but after a benchmark test with extreme good M2 results but bad ram, i got linked into turning on xmp again. Now I have good ram results but bad M2 benchmarks. those Asus chinese are just tooo stupid to make any decent working products and that is the whole issue about it. their software dont coordinate with their hardware, or dont display properly, like for the video card, and never auto update anything or even link to newer updates. since i use Asus, its the same mess with everything Asus

davemon50
Level 11
Can you post your M.2 speed test results? What software are you using?
Davemon50

Praz
Level 13
Hello

This thread is about a Samsung SSD on the X99 platform not being detected when XMP is enabled. It has also been a year since the last post. You post about low drive performance with an Intel drive on the Z170 platform. Although your post has absolutely nothing to do with this thread you post here anyway and then also insult and call into question the intelligence of an entire group of people. That's like the pot calling the kettle black isn't it? Thread closed.