cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad gaming performance with Strix 1080ti

khizarus1
Level 7
Hello folks,

I recently sold my EVGA 980 and got a Strix 1080ti, but somehow the performance is extremely bad with to a point where I get 18 to 29fps in games like the division, Farcry Primal, Witcher 3. Fallout 4 and many others. I know this is hard to believe but I don't know what is going on with my PC. I have the most recent drivers. I reduced the resolution to 2560x1080 lowered the graphics to low settings still the same results. I have not overclocked the CPU or the GPU as I don't know how to do all that. Any help I could get is much appreciated.

Specs: 4790k, 16gb ddr3 2400 mgh ram, strix 1080ti, Predator x34 monitor.

24 REPLIES 24

ShadowC
Level 7
Have you set the power setting in nvidia control panel for every game to use maximum performance?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk Pro

ShadowC wrote:
Have you set the power setting in nvidia control panel for every game to use maximum performance?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk Pro

yes, i set everything to High Performance.

Menthol
Level 14
Sorry to hear your having issues with that beautiful new card
Use DDU to clean Nvidia drivers http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
Then install latest Nvidia drivers

Menthol wrote:
Sorry to hear your having issues with that beautiful new card
Use DDU to clean Nvidia drivers http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
Then install latest Nvidia drivers

Yes tried that a couple of times. Also did a windows 10 reinstall all from scratch. no luck.
Nvidia Geforce recommended some game settings for Ghost recon wildlands most of it was high this is the results i got.

mdzcpa
Level 12
Check to see that your 1080 ti fans are spinning up under load. They typically do not run while on the desktop under 50c, but above that they should kick on. Curious if the card is unduly heating up and throttling.

mdzcpa wrote:
Check to see that your 1080 ti fans are spinning up under load. They typically do not run while on the desktop under 50c, but above that they should kick on. Curious if the card is unduly heating up and throttling.

I saw 2 fans spinning when i was on the desktop and all three fans spinning when i started witcher 3.

mdzcpa
Level 12
Your GPU utilization seems pretty low. What motherboard are you running? What PCIE slot is the gpu in? What PSU do you have?

Ghost Recon with a 4790k and 1080 ti on a 34 inch 3440 x 1440 ultra widescreen should hit at least 60 FPS at 100hz refresh. Typically much more than that. The 1080 ti does need a strong cpu behind it to really run hard, but your 4790K at 4GHZ should not hold you back much. Can you confirm if you're running that gfx card PCIE 3.0? Maybe a GPUZ screen shot.

I would normally suspect a driver issue with these symptoms, but you've done a fresh install.

Double check that your GPU is showing the dual white lights where you've plugged in your PSU cables.

mdzcpa wrote:
Your GPU utilization seems pretty low. What motherboard are you running? What PCIE slot is the gpu in? What PSU do you have?

Ghost Recon with a 4790k and 1080 ti on a 34 inch 3440 x 1440 ultra widescreen should hit at least 60 FPS at 100hz refresh. Typically much more than that. The 1080 ti does need a strong cpu behind it to really run hard, but your 4790K at 4GHZ should not hold you back much. Can you confirm if you're running that gfx card PCIE 3.0? Maybe a GPUZ screen shot.

I would normally suspect a driver issue with these symptoms, but you've done a fresh install.

Double check that your GPU is showing the dual white lights where you've plugged in your PSU cables.

and i checked both the lights are on where i plugged the power for the card.

mdzcpa
Level 12
Also, try the latest 382.05 Nivida driver. 381.89 had some issues with Win 10 creators update. I doubt that's it, but its worth a try.