cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with identifying the right Core Voltage indicator

infernovak
Level 7
Hi, I am using Ryzen 1700 OC'ed @3.8, manually set at 1.35V on Asus Crosshair VI. My primary issue is which is the correct metric to use as reference for core voltage. I am using Hwinfo64, CPUz and Asus utility for reference. Here is the screenshet for voltages at idle state.

HWinfo - Ryzen CPU Core Voltage (SVI2 TFN) - 1.344V
Hwinfo - Vcore (under Mobo) - 1.417V
CPUz - Vcore - 1.417V
Asus Utility - 1.417V

I am using LLC1 setting in BIOS to keep the vcore tight. Please help me in understanding which is the metric I need to look at. If its the 1.417V ones, I am concerned as I dont want it to run over 1.4V 24/7. Your help is truly appreciated as I am new to overclocking.
5 REPLIES 5

gupsterg
Level 13
IMO CPU Core Voltage (SVI2 TFN). A few members on OCN measured at the socket using a DMM and concurred that that voltages is what CPU gets.

Vcore (under Mobo) is close to what you'd read if measuring at the ProbeIt point using a DMM. This has "LLC" to power plane.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

Korth
Level 14
The voltages explained/discussed in many places, including here and here and here (and that's just the top three google hits which looked relevant).

Motherboard VRM implementation (detailed here and here and here) on CH6/X370 mobos uses exactly the same component hardware as on M8/Z170 mobos. The power phases should be able to handle ~320A on CPU and ~160A on SOC (plus main chipset) and ~34A on DDR4 MCU, at >90% power efficiency up to 125C. With very high (several hundred KHz) PWM/switching frequencies and overrated bulk filter reservoirs, it looks like it should be able to respond to (mV resolution) load line transients within a couple of milliseconds.

Ryzen processor voltage monitoring is briefly outlined here:
AMD's opting out of FIVR, the fully-integrated voltage regulator that Intel has recently used. Instead, AMD is option for a more traditional linear voltage regulator and LDO (low-dropout regulator), and is localizing voltage regulations across the core. Continuing its newfound obsession with sensors (for the record, we think this is a good thing), AMD has 9 vDroop detectors alongside 48 power supply monitors that help ensure stable and fine-tuned voltage regulation. When asked the benefit of LDOs, we were told that an LDO allows for faster cores to operated with lower voltage, thus saving power (and heat).
(etc)

So I'm not seeing much real value in firmware-level LLC controls. They wouldn't be as responsive as motherboard VRM hardware or processor power regulation sensors/cutouts ... firmware is fast and powerful, but it just seems too sluggish and laggy for useful realtime voltage regulation on a GHz processor, I'd think it's mainly useful only as another redundancy to fall back onto during fault conditions or for truly extreme out of spec operation (like crazy LN2 OC record attempts, because CH6 mobos are already overengineered for "normal" overclock/overspec operation).

Of course I might be wrong. Do (reasonable values for) these LLC BIOS settings really appear to make measurable differences in performance or stability?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

MrGreaseMonkkey
Level 7
With Bios 1107. CPUZ is 1.373v, In hardware info CPU Core (SVI2 TFN) reads 1.337v Multi meter reads 1.35v. The multi meter is to be the most trusted. Applying 1.35v to ram, the bios reads 1.41 even if I apply 1.385v it still reads 1.41 but for 1.35v the multi meter shows that I'm actually receiving 1.358v to the ram. Just buy a multi meter to get proper voltage readings. As of right now the bios does not show proper temps nor voltage.

Raja
Level 13
Some brief LLC info here.

gupsterg
Level 13
MrGreaseMonkkey

The ProbeIt points include "Load Line Calibration" to "Power Plane". See this post by Elmor on OCN. There are also others posts and info I have collated in this thread on OCN.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video