cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix 1080ti stuck on different clock rates

kalandon
Level 7
Hello,

I recently switched from 2x980ti to a 1080tiand I have a weird problem with my new Strix 1080Ti OC: I usually disconnect my pc from power via a switch on a power strip over night. When I cold boot the pc the next day, my 1080Ti is stuck on 258mhz (results in about 18fps). When I restart the pc without going into a 3d application the card is stuck at 558mhz. When I restart the pc after entering a 3d application, the card works perfectly fine.

Does anybody have an idea what this could be ?

Things I tried:
-)I always uninstall drivers with DDU, so this is not the error
-)Switched to prefer maximum performance in the nvidia control panel

My Specs:
Core i7 5930k on an Asus X99-A, Win 10pro (anniversary update, tried Creators Update without luck but rolled back due to broken Gsync), Acer XB321HK UHD Gsync Monitor and I'm using GPU Tweak II to monitor clock rates

Many thanks in advance,
Kalandon
16 REPLIES 16

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
kalandon wrote:
Hello,

I recently switched from 2x980ti to a 1080tiand I have a weird problem with my new Strix 1080Ti OC: I usually disconnect my pc from power via a switch on a power strip over night. When I cold boot the pc the next day, my 1080Ti is stuck on 258mhz (results in about 18fps). When I restart the pc without going into a 3d application the card is stuck at 558mhz. When I restart the pc after entering a 3d application, the card works perfectly fine.

Does anybody have an idea what this could be ?

Things I tried:
-)I always uninstall drivers with DDU, so this is not the error
-)Switched to prefer maximum performance in the nvidia control panel

My Specs:
Core i7 5930k on an Asus X99-A, Win 10pro (anniversary update, tried Creators Update without luck but rolled back due to broken Gsync), Acer XB321HK UHD Gsync Monitor and I'm using GPU Tweak II to monitor clock rates

Many thanks in advance,
Kalandon

Have you tried uninstalling GPUTweak?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

I will try that and test it tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion!

Kala

I tried uninstalling it but it didn't change anything.

Kala

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Can you please outline your specs and also what else is running in the background on the system?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Detailed Specs:
Asus X99-A Motherboard
Intel Core I7 5930K Prozessor (Running at Stock Clock speed)
4x 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666mhz
Windows 10 Anniversary Update (As stated before: rolled back from Creators since that breaks Gsync) running on a Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD
Corsair Professional Series Platinum AX1200i 1200W PSU
Acer Predator XB321HKbmiphz Connected via DP
Samsung SyncMaster S27A850T Connected Via DVI
Samsung SyncMaster S27A850 Connected Via DP

Thing I'm trying right now:
I haven't disconnected the pc from power over night and will see when I come back from work if it still occurs if it had power while turned off.

Thing I might try when this does not help:
Updating Bios
Maybe try different PCI-E Slot

Regards,
Kala

Arkhen
Level 7
I'm experiencing the same issue on my Strix 1080 Ti. However, I don't turn off power on the wall but still get this on cold restarts.
Let me know if you find a solution to this.

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 4.4GHz 1.275v
GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti
RAM: 4x 4GB Corsair Plat. DDR4 2800MHz
MBD: Asus Rampage V Extreme, latest BIOS 3504
PSU: Seasonic Prime 750w Titanium
Monitor1: Asus VG248QE 144hz 1920x1080
Monitor2: BenQ XL2410T 120hz 1920x1080
Nvidia driver version: 382.05 (With "prefer maximum performance" selected)

Hi Arkhen,
At least now I know that I'm not crazy. I still haven't found a solution. Switching the PCI-E slot did nothing and Updating the Motherboard bios did neither. I also contacted Asus support and they said that they haven't encountered the issue and that I have to RMA the card through the vendor.
Since I don't want to go back to a single 980ti (sold one already) I'll live with it for a while.

Regards,
Kala

No issues here with my Strix OC 1080ti but I see 2 differences between both your setups and mine . I'm on Z170 M8F and your both running dual monitor setups . I'm sure there used to be a similar issue with NVidia and dual's , have you tried using only 1 monitor ?

Thanks for the suggestion AndyVee, I'll try that in the next few days.
Another thing we both have in common: X99 chipset mainboards manufactured by asus. Maybe it has something to do with either a bug in the mainboard bios or graphics card bios that messes with the clock rate profiles on a cold boot.
I will also test the card in another system to see if this occurs there as well.

Kala