cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does warranty cover this?

Terepin
Level 8
Video: https://goo.gl/uwVlXK I was told by member on Guru3D forum that the whine it's coming from fan's bearing. I want to know if warranty cover this so I won't be pointlessly sending my brand new card for repair.
2 REPLIES 2

Korth
Level 14
ASUS GTX1080Ti Founders Edition, yes?

It's a "low-pitched" whine (to my ears), although your recording and my playback might not be reproducing the sound accurately. Seems a little too low to be fan bearing (and worn ball bearing tends to have more of a metallic "rattling" sound). And much too low to be coil whine. Is the fan imbalanced?

You might try different rpms. Sometimes (well, very rarely) a fan hits a "perfect" harmonic frequency which causes the fan (or other nearby things in the environment) to oscillate/vibrate at audible frequencies. Notching rpms up or down by just a couple percent can solve this.

Are you sure that noise is on the GPU card? Not on the CPU cooler (pump, it kinda sounds like) or on the PSU fan?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Is the fan imbalanced?

As a matter of fact, it is. When I compared it to my previous 1070 FE, fan on this card is slightly loose .

Korth wrote:
Are you sure that noise is on the GPU card? Not on the CPU cooler (pump, it kinda sounds like) or on the PSU fan?

Dead sure. Once I stopped the fan the noise also stopped.