cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nvme (m.2) With standard Ssd, how do i set things up

Jerok
Level 7
Hello Fellow ROG users.
I'm going for my final stage of my Hero IX I7 build where it is time to get a Samsung evo 960
For my system and studio software.

Now here is my plan
Evo 960 m.2/NvME 250gb for win 10 and. Studio software
Evo 850 ( sata ssd) 500gb for files and games.

So have b n going through the manual but it seams a bit low on info.

What port for the name should I use?
Is there any SATA port I should not use for the storage ssd when I am using it in combo with a NvMe?

Why settings do I need to adjust in bios for the nvme to work in it's best performance?

Take care
10 REPLIES 10

Chino
Level 15

What's the rationale for installing Windows from UEFI? Can you elaborate further?

I didn't do this and don't appear to have any problems.

Thanks for your replys.
I alwaya use UEFI, I also always disable CSM since I don't need it.
However, I'm in not sure *though that The HERO IX is setup correctly by default for use with the Samsung 960 Evo.
As in the storage section of the UEFI Bios?*

mcleod52 wrote:
What's the rationale for installing Windows from UEFI? Can you elaborate further?

I didn't do this and don't appear to have any problems.

This is a good read that I always recommend for new UEFI users. 🙂 10 things you should know about UEFI

Jerok wrote:
Thanks for your replys.
I alwaya use UEFI, I also always disable CSM since I don't need it.
However, I'm in not sure *though that The HERO IX is setup correctly by default for use with the Samsung 960 Evo.
As in the storage section of the UEFI Bios?*

Oh! I see what you mean now.

The M.2_1 slot should be on Auto which makes the motherboard detect the type of SSD automatically. You can put it on PCIE mode if you like. Since the M.2_2 slot only accepts PCIE devices, there's no need to define a type. Instead you can configure the bandwidth. If you're using this M.2 slot, then make sure it's on X4.

Chino wrote:
This is a good read that I always recommend for new UEFI users. 🙂 10 things you should know about UEFI

Oh! I see what you mean now.

The M.2_1 slot should be on Auto which makes the motherboard detect the type of SSD automatically. You can put it on PCIE mode if you like. Since the M.2_2 slot only accepts PCIE devices, there's no need to define a type. Instead you can configure the bandwidth. If you're using this M.2 slot, then make sure it's on X4.

For a m.2 ssd on Maximus IX hero (in my case sm961) is there a preferred port for Max performance. I assumed that m.2 port 1 is closest to the CPU and would use the z270 4 PCI lanes leaving the 16 CPU pcie lanes free for my gpu. Am I off base here? I noticed the m.2 per two is the only one that supports the 3d print fan holder for m.2 drives. It also is away from the house and CPU heatvsources. So now I am questioning.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

chevell65
Level 12
What port for the name should I use?
Is there any SATA port I should not use for the storage ssd when I am using it in combo with a NvMe?

M.2_1 in PCIE mode is not supposed to share any SATA slots (M.2_2 in X4 mode (required for full speed of the 960 Evo) disables SATA 5 & 6)

The M.2 drives are famous for throttling when they get hot. They will get hot and start throttling when moving large files with them. You can add a 3D printed fan holder and 40mm fan to prevent this.

Thanks people, that was the answer I needed.
I plan to use the m.2_2 slot since it's in a better position far away from other components
and closer to the front intake that will blow air to aid the cooling.*

Thanks again*

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
From a cooling standpoint, I'd use the M.2_2 given the choice. 🙂

I agree thermally that's preffered. I'd like to know pcie lanes are consumed by each m.2 port. Z70 chipset is allocated four or 8 lanes above the 16 lanes dedicated to the pcie bus. So I assume either one port on each or both on the chipset lanes. Ideally I want to preserve all 16 for the gpu on the pcie lanes.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk