cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water temp controlled fan speds.

Waza88
Level 7
Crosshair 6 Hero has an input for liquid temperature sensors, is it possible to run fan profiles from this data alone?
My Ryzen 1700 is running too cold 😄 I am having a lot of trouble getting proper fan response in relation to the loop temperature.
I also have two R9 290s in the same loop and this makes this issue worse since some games are really heavy on the GPUs while my CPU is barely braking a sweat.

I don't like to run software based solutions so I really really would like to have BIOS based fan curve.
18 REPLIES 18

flynkalika
Level 7
Waza88 wrote:
Crosshair 6 Hero has an input for liquid temperature sensors, is it possible to run fan profiles from this data alone?
My Ryzen 1700 is running too cold 😄 I am having a lot of trouble getting proper fan response in relation to the loop temperature.
I also have two R9 290s in the same loop and this makes this issue worse since some games are really heavy on the GPUs while my CPU is barely braking a sweat.

I don't like to run software based solutions so I really really would like to have BIOS based fan curve.

Subscribed o.o

entropic-remnan
Level 9
That would require the mobo to have an input for a coolant temperature sensor. There doesn't appear to be a place where that could be done on the Crosshair VI -- maybe in the next generation? If you were to bring that in via USB say, it would have to meet some standard and then it could be put in the mobo BIOS -- but is there an USB based coolant temperature standard that everyone sticks to?

If you think about it though, your 1700 has 16 threads available and even the most demanding games never load them all up much. It seems to me that a quality software solution would actually be very little overhead so perhaps you can try that and see how it performs.

Not sure which programs you would use for that though. I just used Corsair Link when I was running my AIO but it sounds like you've got a much more complex setup and I have no experience with that.
Tired of trolls and mods that act like this platform has no problems and it's the users fault. Later.

entropic-remnants wrote:
That would require the mobo to have an input for a coolant temperature sensor. There doesn't appear to be a place where that could be done on the Crosshair VI

This mobo has W_In and W_out temperature sensor pins. So it can already monitor liquid temperatures along with tachometer to monitor flow rates.
Would be cool if this data could be used to run the system fans. I don't have proper sensors on hand but I do have liquid temperature sensors in place connected to two LCD displays. I don't really care for the mobo to know the water temp if I cannot use it to run fans and hence I would like to know if that is possible before shelling out cash for the sensors.
I'm quite sure this is something that could be implemented with a bios update if it does not already exist, since there already is temperature reading in place for watercooling loops.

I used one of my air temperature sensors that is measuring hot air leaving my case after all of the radiators. This probe is usually withing 2-4c from liquid temp.
Connected to W_IN Temperature

entropic-remnan
Level 9
Holy crap! All the time I've spent with this thing and I never once noticed those inputs. Well bless me for an idiot and thanks for being gentle with my education, lol. I really do feel stupid.

Well, I agree with the premise then: since those inputs are there it really should be built in that some of the fan or pump outputs should be controlled by those temps.
Tired of trolls and mods that act like this platform has no problems and it's the users fault. Later.

AlexB121
Level 7
Great post now my question is when i use asus ai suite 3 i see water in temp water out temp but no flow speed is that only available in bios or is there another program we can use from asus that will give me all the input meaning water in water out and flow speed not just water in and water out like asus suite 3

Asus121 wrote:
Great post now my question is when i use asus ai suite 3 i see water in temp water out temp but no flow speed is that only available in bios or is there another program we can use from asus that will give me all the input meaning water in water out and flow speed not just water in and water out like asus suite 3

You have to set the CPU fan to Water Cooler (you can choose CPU FAN or Water Cooler when assigning the FAN Position). If you click on the CPU Fan now there is a display for flow.

Also i just noticed in the FAN section at the bottom right there is WATER_FLOW aswell.

Krayn wrote:
You have to set the CPU fan to Water Cooler (you can choose CPU FAN or Water Cooler when assigning the FAN Position). If you click on the CPU Fan now there is a display for flow.

Also i just noticed in the FAN section at the bottom right there is WATER_FLOW aswell.

Can u post a screen shot of the in windows water flow

Asus121 wrote:
Can u post a screen shot of the in windows water flow

i dont use a flow sensor in my loop but sure.

(marked the two spots where the flow is shown 🙂 )

Krayn wrote:
i dont use a flow sensor in my loop but sure.

(marked the two spots where the flow is shown 🙂 )

Found it its not reading but i found it wondering if its my sensor or what it is is..U think the sensor has a flow cycle in and out ?