cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 long and 3 short signals

TheEternaL
Level 9
Hello.
At me today at reboot the speaker issued one long and three short signals thus after a signal post AA and on the screen there is no signal.
With what it can be connected?
What does 1 long and 3 short signals mean?

After that, I took out the graphics card and put it back and it all started.
14 REPLIES 14

Nate152
Hi TheEternal

The one long beep with three short beeps is a gpu error, if everything is working ok it sounds like you solved the problem.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi TheEternal

The one long beep with three short beeps is a gpu error, if everything is working ok it sounds like you solved the problem.

Thanks.

davemon50 wrote:
According to the RVE10 Owners Manual, that means "No VGA Detected". So I guess your card was just not seated correctly and is why replacing it fixed the problem. See attached from the manual.

Thank you.
Simply there is not present in Russian.
And I'm here and so an interpreter.
Bad as Asus do not think to do Manual in Russian. 😞

Hello

Got a similar problem. Occasionally, one long and three short beeps sound but still it boots without any error or special POST code displayed I could notice so far.
Reseating or similar is no further option anymore since I've done so much already. Also, the PC crashes (2nd GPU probably) when standing upright if I don't clock down the GPU compared to when it is laying on it's side or an open test bench on a table, running without any problems higher GPU clocks. No idea anymore other than it's a cooling problem of the 2nd GPU (2x Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC) but I can't notice any temperature problems read by any sensor!

CPU is i7-6590X and MB is X99-E WS. Power supply is AX860i, also got an AX850 (older). No idea if one or both of them have any issues but at least none of them crash generally on full load.

Would be sooo thankful for a solution since it's bothering me for over a year now, wasted so many days and weekss and nothing made anything really better or fixed at the end!

Best regards

Hi, i have that same issue 1 slong plus 3 short beeps beeps with white led stays on after post. This only happens with a the 1st start of the system, if i restart it goes away. I tried with 2 different GPUs and with the same output. This is odd.

ASUS B450i Gaming

I have the same issue. Have you solved it?

davemon50
Level 11
According to the RVE10 Owners Manual, that means "No VGA Detected". So I guess your card was just not seated correctly and is why replacing it fixed the problem. See attached from the manual.
Davemon50

UltraNEO_
Level 11
With my Asus VI Extreme Encore, I experience this randomly.
Sometimes It simply works, other times it'll beep.. 1 long, 3 short.
The system continues to load and windows appear. Anyone experienced this? LUL It's weird.
ASUS ROG RVIE Encore| i9-10940x | Dominator Platinum 128GB 3333 MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti SLI | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe (x3)
WD Black 4TB | WD Black 6TB x2 | EVGA 1600 P2 | CaseLabs SMA8 | Custom Water Cooling | HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 560
XSPC RX 480 v3 | XSPC D5 Vario x2 | EK Blocks | EK-RES X3 400 | BitsPower Fittings | GentleTypoon 1850 x12 | Corsair SP140 x8 | Lamptron CM615

Twitch.tv/MsNikita | Twitter.com/MsNikitaTV | Instagram.com/MsNikitaTV | Reddit.com/r/MsNikitaTV

UltraNEO* wrote:
With my Asus VI Extreme Encore, I experience this randomly.
Sometimes It simply works, other times it'll beep.. 1 long, 3 short.
The system continues to load and windows appear. Anyone experienced this? LUL It's weird.

Oddly, for a couple weeks now, my Crosshair VI Formula does one beep (which means all is fine), and then a few seconds later follows up with one long four short beeps (which according to an old Asus manual means "Hardware component failure"). And yet it then starts and all is fine.

Someone suggested reflashing the Bios to solve this. I'm not reflashing unless it's more than a glitch. It has to be a software glitch/error due to a coding error/oversight, but who knows what it is.

piratino
Level 9
Hello there!
Old thread, I know.. but I'm facing similar problem and I might have found what's causing this strange behavior at my new computer.

I have heard the "long-beep+3-short-beeps" when booting up with the monitor turned OFF.
Computer boots up with no "long-beep+3-short-beeps" if monitor is turned ON before post boot.

Let me explain better what I think is happening here...

I have bought a new motherboard and CPU: ASUS ROG Z590-I motherboard and Intel 11700K CPU.
After having installed everything and updated the motherboard bios to the last version, I made some hardware tests so to check if everything was working good, and while doing so, at some point, I heard the "long-beep+3-short-beeps" !!!
When I first heard it, it was while testing/trying to boot with the CPU integrated graphic card.

Let me step back a little.

I have always thought that the internal graphic card is always active (or at least active when selecting the default bios settings). As I was indeed in default bios settings when doing these tests, I was confident that the internal graphic was always turned on (just to be clear).
I then later understood that in my particular new motherboard this is working differently: the CPU internal graphic card is on/active ONLY when there is no PCIe GPU installed in the system, or better said, when there is a PCIe GPU installed onto the motherboard, the CPU integrated graphic card is disabled/turned OFF, such that it is not even present/visible in Device Manager within Windows 10.

The first time I turned my system on with my monitor attached to the motherboard HDMI port, I heard the "long-beep+3-short-beeps", and just a few seconds later I realized that my monitor was turned OFF. Turning it ON was not showing up nothing, so I had to reset the system by pressing the reset switch on the case.
When the computer booted up again (still with the CPU internal graphic card) the monitor was ON since before the computer restart, and this time everything went smooth.
So for booting up with the CPU integrated graphic card I must turn ON my monitor before motherboard post boot, otherwise it ends up with the "long-beep+3-short-beeps" forcing me to reset the computer to boot up again correctly.

Later I have mounted the PCIe GPU onto the motherboard and closed the case, and at first boot I still heard the "long-beep+3-short-beeps" !!!
Guess what?? My monitor was turned OFF !!! (I have probably turned it off as a reflect action that I do every time I turn off the computer).
I then turned the monitor ON and guess what??? I was able to see my Windows 10 login screen!!! (probably when booting up with a PCIe GPU installed and a turned OFF monitor would end up with hearing the "long-beep+3-short-beeps" but with the ability of seeing something on screen if turning ON the monitor, to the contrary of what happens if booting up using the CPU internal graphic card where a reboot is necessary).
I then rebooted correctly my computer plus turning it off and turning it on again (made both tests), both with the monitor kept turned ON, and the result was NO "long-beep+3-short-beeps".

So for what I know now, I can stand that for the motherboard to boot up correctly, it needs to feel a turned ON monitor plugged into the PCIe GPU or CPU internal graphic card, otherwise it will end up advising some sort of anomaly using the "long-beep+3-short-beeps", with or without the ability to reach (respectfully) the Windows 10 login screen.

Personally speaking, it sounds a bit strange, and I have not found any official confirmation about this.
I'll contact ASUS costumer support opening a ticket asking them about this.
I'll keep this thread updated.
Thank you for reading.