cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is G752VS-RB71? "The RB71" part mostly..

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Title says it all.

I found this version and was unsure of it.. what's so special about it? (G752VS-RB71)

The ones around me are called G752VS-GC086T.

What's the difference?
10 REPLIES 10

Eleiyas
Level 10
Normally, it's to do with the part specifications - each one has something slightly (or largely) different than the other models (of G752VS).

To see what I mean, check this out:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006616%2050001315%2040003365&IsNodeI...

Usually there is no reason to concern yourself with these details, as you anyway get a general overview of what the hardware configuration is when purchasing.

Typically all the different identifiers have to do with:
Different regions (both marketing wise and possible hardware limitations imposed by law, e.g. the total frequency range of publicly available 2.4GHz band)
Different parts (6th gen/7th gen, HQ/HK, GeForce 980m/1070, etc.)
Different part manufacturers (primarily about RAM and NVMe SSD)
Factory OC
Promotion-eligibility
and so on
He who invokes history is always secure.
The dead will not rise to witness against him.

You can accuse them of any deeds you like.
Their reply will always be silence.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Sheltem wrote:
Usually there is no reason to concern yourself with these details, as you anyway get a general overview of what the hardware configuration is when purchasing.

Typically all the different identifiers have to do with:
Different regions (both marketing wise and possible hardware limitations imposed by law, e.g. the total frequency range of publicly available 2.4GHz band)
Different parts (6th gen/7th gen, HQ/HK, GeForce 980m/1070, etc.)
Different part manufacturers (primarily about RAM and NVMe SSD)
Factory OC
Promotion-eligibility
and so on

Well, I want the G752VS-RB71 since it seems to be the cheapest model with the 1070m in it. What other drawbacks are there in this unit other than the missing SSD (which I can supply my own 2.5") and the i7 6700HQ?

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Ah, it's largely cheaper because it doesn't come with an SSD.. now I see.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Crap I just noticed.. is the Storage Layout 1x 2.5" SATA and 1 dual NVMe? You cannot have 2x 2.5" SATA slots?

Damn it, I guess there's no point going for the cheaper model then if I cannot put my 2.5" SSD inside next to the 7200RPM HDD.

Can someone confirm? :c

I believe all G752VS have 2x NVMe (over PCIe) + 1x SATA3.
You should be able to replace the optical drive with a caddy and have a 2nd 2.5" SATA drive in there, though.
He who invokes history is always secure.
The dead will not rise to witness against him.

You can accuse them of any deeds you like.
Their reply will always be silence.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Sheltem wrote:
I believe all G752VS have 2x NVMe (over PCIe) + 1x SATA3.
You should be able to replace the optical drive with a caddy and have a 2nd 2.5" SATA drive in there, though.

Hmm.. I wonder how much the Caddy costs.. I certainly don't use the CD Tray that's for sure..

Yes since the G752 came out they all have 2x M.2 NVME, 1 SATA slots. I don't know what the GL or GX models have.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Clintlgm wrote:
Yes since the G752 came out they all have 2x M.2 NVME, 1 SATA slots. I don't know what the GL or GX models have.

Oh well I guess it's still a plus since NVMe is much faster and can be RAID'ed in one HDD bay.. so that's cool. I just wish I could've skipped the expense and used my own drive. Oh well. ;<