cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird working way with my G.Skill B-DIE 3600MHz DRAM

CuewarsTaner
Level 7
Hi, I am Taner. I am new to the forum and AMD processor. I have been through weird overclocking way with my C6H motherboard and the G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTRZ Memory.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1700X

Motherboard: Crosshair VI Hero

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB (F4-3600C16D-GTZR)

1. For my system, I cannot run the memory above 2933MHz without BCLK overclocking. Frequency from 2133Mhz to 2933MHz are okay to run BCLK at 100.00MHz.

2. I cannot reach 3200MHz with or without BCLK overclocking, which a sweet spot.

3. Sometimes I am able to boot up my memory at 3402MHz frequency with BCLK overclocking at 116.2MHz. The timing is 16-16-16-16-36 or 16-15-15-15-36. Both timings are okay. But rebooting the PC will cause the failure of getting such a high DRAM frequency again. Thus this way is not a final solution.

4. I figured out a very strange way to get 3600MHz for a short time use without reboot. But also, it will fail to reboot. But personally I strongly suggest you guys to try this way if you have Samsung B-DIE high speed memory! It will prove that this board is able to run high speed memory. ASUS and AMD just need to improve memory capability.

First, remove the second memory module and leave only one memory module on DIMM A2 slot. Then boot your computer and go to BIOS.

Second, change your memory setting to what your memory suggests. For my memory, its XMP is running at 1.35V and timing is 16-16-16-16-36. But improve setting like these: SOC Voltage 1.25V, DRAM Voltage 1.45V, Timing 18-18-18-18-36. Save BIOS setting and reboot.

Third, you will see that your PC is able to run at suggested high memory speed(for my situation, it's 3600MHz). If you fail to do this, try to get higher Memory Timing and get 1.5V very high DRAM Voltage. With all these settings, make sure you can go into Windows and then shutdown the windows inside Windows(not re-start!).

Finally, immediately plug your second memory module to the DIMM B2 slot and then boot your PC. You will figure out that your PC will boot successfully go into Windows working well! But remember this: after reboot, it will fail to boot up with such a high speed DRAM frequency again.

To make it short, it is simply to make sure high DRAM speed runs successfully with only one memory module. And then plug the second memory module back. And magically, high DRAM speed will work!!! What a magical trick!

Even thought it's a unstable way to overclock to get 3600MHz. But at least it proves that Ryzen can get high memory speed. Motherboard makers and AMD just need to improve memory capability! Yes! everything is possible!
15 REPLIES 15

PeZzy
Level 7
CuewarsTaner wrote:

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB (F4-3600C16D-GTZR)

2. I cannot reach 3200MHz with or without BCLK overclocking, which a sweet spot.

I run 4 DIMMs of this memory at 3200Mhz with no BCLK overclock, but at 18-14-14-14-34 timings. My VDDSOC is 1.09 and DRAM voltage is 1.35.

Take a look at VDDSOC Phase Control and ProcODT, instead of pumping up the voltage.

PeZzy wrote:
I run 4 DIMMs of this memory at 3200Mhz with no BCLK overclock, but at 18-14-14-14-34 timings. My VDDSOC is 1.09 and DRAM voltage is 1.35.

Take a look at VDDSOC Phase Control and ProcODT, instead of pumping up the voltage.

I did. SOC voltage is high enough to 1.25V and it still didn't work. For ProcODT, I think it's 56.3, the default setting. If you know how to change ProcODT, please tell me. I cannot find it.

PeZzy wrote:

examples of what settings you use would be good i have team extreme 3600 and have the same issue cannot get 3200 to run and of course you need bclk clocking to get to 3600 which blows out my video card

tarot wrote:
examples of what settings you use would be good i have team extreme 3600 and have the same issue cannot get 3200 to run and of course you need bclk clocking to get to 3600 which blows out my video card

I can go BCLK overclock but it failed to boot memory up.

purecain
Level 9
your timings are too tight. try 18 19 19 19 39. i used that for 3200mhz yesterday and was rock solid. i had the 1800x and the divider was there so i selected it and changed the voltage to 1.35v. the system was stable as a rock but my case was live and it fried the Ethernet so until my new board arrives i cant offer any more information...
also new dividers are coming in a couple of months remember... with good ic's youll be able to hit 3600mhz at least then. :cool:
AsusCrosshairHeroVIII - 5950X
32Gb G.Skill RGB Trident 16gb3466Mhz B-Die + 16gb4266Mhz B-Die
Asus Tuf RTX3090
1TbSamsung960EVO M.2 1TbSamsung850EVO SSD Seagate2TB/3Tb CorsairForceGt 64gb
Seasonic Focus1000w 80+ Gold
Thermaltake Core X71 Tempered glass side panal

Try between 40 and 60 for ProcODT. You can also increase the Fail_CNT. Keep in mind that if the training fails, the values on this screen are reset.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/14150#post_26080357

AUStheWOLF
Level 7
How are you powering the motherboard? I keep reading similar problems, when users have the exact same hardware I have. I by no means have been lucky, but I had success with the least amount of tinkering and setup. I think it is important on any overclock to supply as much power as possible to the motherboard, which includes the 24-pin, 8-pin, and 4-pin connections.

I do have an 1800X, and I believe our overall clocks will vary but we shouldn't be this far off. On the factory BIOS, I was able to achieve ~4050MHz (100.00 BCLK) and 3200MHz DRAM (1.35V, 16/16/16/16/36)... My first overclock was just using the ASUS software, worked good enough, then adjusted the DRAM timings manually. This seemed to run rock solid, no magic here. Then, I switched to the BIOS 1107, after seeing results from a forum member who I was able to discuss the matter with, and I was able to get the DRAM up to 3600MHz.... I have ALWAYS run this DRAM with the recommended timings and voltage, but I did run into one problem. Eventually, the DRAM SPD profile corrupted, and this is often attributed to the ASUS Aura software for lighting control. I will say that the software worked perfectly for controlling the lights, but caused irregularities in one of the SPD profiles (one of the XMP ones). I did get system crashes, but only running one game, everything else ran well and I had benchmarks running smoothly. I would check your DRAM modules as well, to make sure you don't have corrupted profiles (check with CPU-Z software under SPD tab). If you do have any hardware issues, start by exchanging the modules with an RMA. I have never heard of users having to trick the motherboard into running both modules at the proper speed, and depending on how frequently you have to perform this step may damage your motherboard slots and/or DRAM.

AUStheWOLF wrote:
On the factory BIOS, I was able to achieve ~4050MHz (100.00 BCLK) and 3200MHz DRAM (1.35V, 16/16/16/16/36)...

How much voltage were you giving the CPU to achieve 4050 stable? I can get my 1800X to boot @ 4Ghz with somewhere around 1.375V, but not stable enough to pass any testing, and same results up to just over 1.4V where I get scared and stop upping the voltage lol. I have since settled for 3.9Ghz @ 1.3625V with very good temps.

eight-bit wrote:
How much voltage were you giving the CPU to achieve 4050 stable? I can get my 1800X to boot @ 4Ghz with somewhere around 1.375V, but not stable enough to pass any testing, and same results up to just over 1.4V where I get scared and stop upping the voltage lol. I have since settled for 3.9Ghz @ 1.3625V with very good temps.

I let the motherboard make that determination (FACTORY BIOS)... I left all settings on AUTO, except for DRAM voltage and timings. The overclock was completely performed using the the AI Suite 3 and was stable enough to run Cinebench R15 and 3D Mark Time Spy with impressive results, as well as DOOM and Rise of Tomb Raider. I also let AI Suite 3 make the determinations for fan curves, as I have all my chassis fans connected to the CHA_FAN headers on the motherboard. Even if you delete the software after the overclock, the AI Suite 3 allowed monitoring on a firmware level. It will actually cause a crash, then revert to best known settings for stability... Each system will vary slightly, but with the same DRAM, motherboard, and CPU architecture we should only be talking about a few hundred megahertz. I had better benchmarks with 4.02GHz than 4.20GHz according to Cinebench. Felt the same for me. I couldn't get the blazing high 145 BCLKs that other users are getting.