Threaded View

ROG Member Array

Weird working way with my G.Skill B-DIE 3600MHz DRAM

Hi, I am Taner. I am new to the forum and AMD processor. I have been through weird overclocking way with my C6H motherboard and the G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTRZ Memory.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1700X

Motherboard: Crosshair VI Hero

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB (F4-3600C16D-GTZR)

1. For my system, I cannot run the memory above 2933MHz without BCLK overclocking. Frequency from 2133Mhz to 2933MHz are okay to run BCLK at 100.00MHz.

2. I cannot reach 3200MHz with or without BCLK overclocking, which a sweet spot.

3. Sometimes I am able to boot up my memory at 3402MHz frequency with BCLK overclocking at 116.2MHz. The timing is 16-16-16-16-36 or 16-15-15-15-36. Both timings are okay. But rebooting the PC will cause the failure of getting such a high DRAM frequency again. Thus this way is not a final solution.

4. I figured out a very strange way to get 3600MHz for a short time use without reboot. But also, it will fail to reboot. But personally I strongly suggest you guys to try this way if you have Samsung B-DIE high speed memory! It will prove that this board is able to run high speed memory. ASUS and AMD just need to improve memory capability.

First, remove the second memory module and leave only one memory module on DIMM A2 slot. Then boot your computer and go to BIOS.

Second, change your memory setting to what your memory suggests. For my memory, its XMP is running at 1.35V and timing is 16-16-16-16-36. But improve setting like these: SOC Voltage 1.25V, DRAM Voltage 1.45V, Timing 18-18-18-18-36. Save BIOS setting and reboot.

Third, you will see that your PC is able to run at suggested high memory speed(for my situation, it's 3600MHz). If you fail to do this, try to get higher Memory Timing and get 1.5V very high DRAM Voltage. With all these settings, make sure you can go into Windows and then shutdown the windows inside Windows(not re-start!).

Finally, immediately plug your second memory module to the DIMM B2 slot and then boot your PC. You will figure out that your PC will boot successfully go into Windows working well! But remember this: after reboot, it will fail to boot up with such a high speed DRAM frequency again.

To make it short, it is simply to make sure high DRAM speed runs successfully with only one memory module. And then plug the second memory module back. And magically, high DRAM speed will work!!! What a magical trick!

Even thought it's a unstable way to overclock to get 3600MHz. But at least it proves that Ryzen can get high memory speed. Motherboard makers and AMD just need to improve memory capability! Yes! everything is possible!
    Last edited by CuewarsTaner; 05-11-2017 at 07:18 PM.