cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible fix for LEDs that have stopped working?

MysticPixie
Level 7
So I noticed my LEDs behaving poorly. I of course had the Aura software installed, and my LEDs had stopped working outside of windows. Well, recently I went to screw around in my BIOS and had to walk away from it for a couple of hours. I was ready to try getting Gentoo going again but couldn't remember if I'd changed anything in the BIOS, so I hit F10 (Save & Quit) just in case because if I *HAD* changed something, it was probably for a reason. At this time, the LEDs were off and had been for quite some time because I'd been working outside of Windows.

Well, I hadn't changed anything in the BIOS, but was lazy and didn't feel like going back to the menu to exit without saving and the reboot just takes a few seconds so sure whatever. My LEDs instantly started working again. Literally nothing had changed in the BIOS settings. I *may* have toggled the RGB Enable/Disable, but it's actual setting was the same going out as it was coming in. Now they're working again, along with the rgb from the wraith cooler (which isn't actually cooling anything I just put it in my case for pretty lights, heh).

I had changed settings and saved them numerous times before this and the LED behavior didn't change so somehow there was something different about not actually changing anything but still using the Save/Exit.

Anyway, I'm sure those of you with LEDs which have stopped working have already tried everything under the sun, but just thought I'd share this experience in case it helped anyone else.
15 REPLIES 15

eight-bit
Level 7
Not sure if F10 to save and exit does anything different than clicking Exit -> Save changes and restart (probably misquoted the actual buttons, but close enough lol) ... But I'll try anything once 🙂

I know for a fact I have gone into bios and exited without changing anything (clicking the menus and getting the pop up that I havent actually changed anything) many times with no change, but I have never tried to use F10 to save and exit. Fingers crossed.

Also worth noting though, I don't have the exact issue you described, I am one of the unlucky ones who's RGB doesn't work out of windows, in windows, in good times, in bad times, on sundays, etc.

entropic-remnan
Level 9
I have traveled to several alternate dimensions in the hierarchy of reality and mine don't work there either. The are deficient extra-dimensionally, extra-temporally, and extra-windowy...

To quote the Monty Python "Parrot Sketch": "The plumage don't enter into it! It's stone dead."
Tired of trolls and mods that act like this platform has no problems and it's the users fault. Later.

Tried, failed.

Filing this under "Welp, that didn't work".

I wonder what random thing is happening for those who have had their RGB come back to live seemingly at random.

Surely if ASUS representatives have stated that they're working on it, and some peoples' LEDs have returned to working order, they can't be permanently dead. That said, I can't think of a reason why a BIOS clear shouldn't restore them either.

Undesirable wrote:
Surely if ASUS representatives have stated that they're working on it, and some peoples' LEDs have returned to working order, they can't be permanently dead. That said, I can't think of a reason why a BIOS clear shouldn't restore them either.

There was a post by entropic-remnants, that while it is only based on speculation, I think probably hit the nail right on the head. That the chip that controls the Aura lighting somehow got some erroneous information written to it with no provision in place to reinitialize the chip. If this is the case, then unless the bios image contains the stock settings to be written to this particular chip, it would remain in it's current state, still unable to start. I am no electrical engineer, just a lowly IT manager, but this explanation passes the logic test for me.

SIMONHANDLEY1 wrote:
This problem is all over the forum! And to quote from entropic-remnants! I've come to complain about my parrot, lovely plumage sir, it's dead! 😮

I find something quote-worthy in almost all of his posts lol 🙂

SIMONHANDLEY1
Level 7
This problem is all over the forum! And to quote from entropic-remnants! I've come to complain about my parrot, lovely plumage sir, it's dead! 😮

SIMONHANDLEY1
Level 7
I think this sums things up! 😄

entropic-remnan
Level 9
[blushes] -- gosh...
Tired of trolls and mods that act like this platform has no problems and it's the users fault. Later.

flynkalika
Level 7
Direct from Overclocker, if it works credits goes to Dorbot. Might worth give it a shot 🙂

Well I did this after uninstalling both programs using the normal uninstallers and it got everything to defaults.
I started using advanced uninstaller pro but i'm not sure its needed.
Point being both rgb software uninstallers (Aura and Gskill) dont uninstall fully and interfere with each other after being uninstalled . Its ******* comical.

How to kill Aura.
As far as I can ascertain, Aura has three processes that run,
AsRogAuraGpuDllServer.exe, AsRogAuraService, AtkexComSvc.exe.
There are also 2 services AsComSVC and AsRogAuraService which can be removed with "sc delete AsComSVC" and "sc delete asrogauraservice" in an elevated command prompt.
Finally there is a scheduled task that loads ASRogAuraGpuDllServer.exe on every user logon. Again, remove manually in task scheduler.
You can delete the ASUS folder in program files next boot if you dont want to keep it for other (dodgy?) Asus stuff.
Job done.

How to kill Gskill
GSkill isnt as insane as Aura, this just this leaves a service called AsLEDService I think. Sc delete it too.
Delete asus folder in program files next boot.

How to bring RAM RGB back.
Do above and install GSKill again, press defaults and wait a minute or two. Reboot.
Uninstall again as above.

How to get MoBo RGB back.
Uninstall everything as above. Install latest Aura press defaults. Reboot.
Uninstall again as above.

Probably a good idea to check SPDs again.
How to repair damaged SPD

Compare your sticks SPD with known good copy.
Find they are a bit messed up.
Reflash RAM using Elmors SPD tool or Thaiphoon Burner.

Simples........