cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JM plugged in, charging 0% - Solid red battery light - Not charging

mattd24
Level 7
I have a G750JM, and it has completely stopped charging. If the power chord is unplugged, the laptop instantly shuts off.

History:About 3 months ago, the computer began instantly shutting off when it reached 30-50% battery (if it wasn't plugged in). This leads me to believe that the issue MIGHT be 'a failing battery that has finally completely failed'. This is my only sign of hope, as trouble shooting the PSU, input jack, and battery usually isn't even worth the effort/cost. I don't understand why there isn't a more specific way to indicate which piece of the hardware has failed since this issue is so common amongst laptops, and since its an expensive "quality" gaming laptop.

Issue: Despite the computer spontaneously turning off at lowerish-battery, the computer had been charging just fine. Then last night, the large Windows 10 update that I've been putting off for the last 2-3 weeks finally automatically installed. Now, the computer says "0% plugged in, charging" when I mouse over the battery tray-icon, however when I click that icon - the battery level indicator indicates "0%, plugged in, not charging". The battery light on the laptop is solid red (orange?) and ever so rarely turns green for a second, then switches back to solid red.

-Additionally, my keyboard and mouse keep cutting out for 1 second every 10 seconds or so, which I'm assuming has something to do with an interrupted supply of power (it's as if the OS briefly freezes for a micro-second, and no mouse keyboard input is recognized for that micro-second).

The inconsistency: Now all of a sudden I have a battery that may have been failing, but COINCIDENTALLY didn't completely fail until the new Windows update, which is strange. And of course, the Windows UI labels it as both "charging" and "not charging" just to make my life more miserable. Regardless, the percentage never goes above 0%.

My concern: This isn't the first time this has happened. My previous laptop, an Alienware, also stopped charging for no reason. I tried trouble shooting it and it ended up being a complete nightmare, I couldn't figure it out. After selling the $400 computer to a resale website for $30 - they indicated me that port/contact that the battery actually connects to to had failed.

I cannot keep paying $1000 for "quality laptops" that break like this. I can't keep troubleshooting by ordering a new PSU - waiting a week - testing it - sending it back. Ordering a new battery - waiting a week - testing it - sending it back. Ordering a new power jack - waiting a week - opening the laptop (where all the screws came pre-stripped) - installing the new jack - seeing if it works - etc. In fact, at this point, if any are willing purchase the laptop at a discount and doing the troubleshooting yourself, PM me. I'm currently unemployed and I can't even do the transcription work that I was doing for extra cash because the keyboard keeps briefly cutting out.

Anyways, in hopes of salvaging this situation. Have any of you encountered this scenario? Or do you have any way to verify which piece of hardware is failing? Perhaps if I go to Fry's Electronics they will let me use one of the ROG batteries and see if it is, in fact, the battery that has failed? Also, do any of you have a brand recommendation for a laptop where the build quality is solid enough that it just WONT FAIL (I mean, if it's been 10 years that's one thing, but them breaking every 2 years isn't acceptable).

I would appreciate any input, thanks.

EDIT: The laptop still runs, while plugged in, if the battery is removed. Should I take this as a sign that the malfunction is the battery itself? Also, I've already tried going into the device manager and uninstall/reinstalling the Miscrosoft ACPI.
2 REPLIES 2

AtlasMinor
Level 8
The PSU/ Charger that came with your laptop is probably NOT putting out enough wattage to keep a charge when activating the dedicated GPU, i try looking into that topic and 'this years 2017 Notebooks GPU's are to strong for the shipped PSU's'

This was in the news recently, if there is any way you can get a voltage monitor to monitor wattage consumed during normal operation and when gaming/ 3D app opened, you will probably see how much is actually needed to power this years mobile dedicated stand alone GPU's.

Something like that is inexcusable.

AtlasMinor wrote:
The PSU/ Charger that came with your laptop is probably NOT putting out enough wattage to keep a charge when activating the dedicated GPU, i try looking into that topic and 'this years 2017 Notebooks GPU's are to strong for the shipped PSU's'

This was in the news recently, if there is any way you can get a voltage monitor to monitor wattage consumed during normal operation and when gaming/ 3D app opened, you will probably see how much is actually needed to power this years mobile dedicated stand alone GPU's.

Something like that is inexcusable.

Well, it is a 2014 laptop. It has a Nvidia Geforce GTX 860M in it. I will try to get a hold of a voltage meter, but is there any reason why it would have been able to power the 860M for the last 2 years, then all of a sudden stop being able to do so? I'm under the impression that with normal desktop-activity (not gaming) it switches to the integrated Intel graphics; so I'd suspect that when I'm not gaming the PSU should still be fully capable of charging the battery.

BTW:IMPORTANT UPDATE: As of this very moment, the solid red battery light is now blinking on and off, on and off. The battery is still showing 0% charge.