cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound Card

XBrookieX
Level 7
Sorry is asked before,
I have my Graphics cards in SLI set x16 would these remain at x16 if I add a dedicated sound card? or would they change to x8?
Dedicated Realtek lack the punch and tweaks from the creative sound blaster alternative.
Thanks on any technical information as I'm aware some board reduce bandwidth with the more pci slots used, my 5930k supports 40 lanes.
16 REPLIES 16

Axle_Grease
Level 7
For a 40 lanes CPU the 1st graphics card will remain at x16 while the 2nd will drop to x8. (ref: 1-19 of the User Guide)

Edit:
My apo-logies. I misinterpreted the chart on that page.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." -- Unknown

Axle Grease wrote:
For a 40 lanes CPU the 1st graphics card will remain at x16 while the 2nd will drop to x8. (ref: 1-19 of the User Guide)

No, that's the lower chart you are quoting I think, for a 28-lane CPU? At least from the manual I'm looking at for the R5E/U3.1, it shows a 40-lane CPU running in SLI with PCIe 3.0 Slot 1 at x16 and PCIe 3.0 Slot 3 at x16 also. Doesn't drop to x8 until you hit 3-way SLI.

Sounds to me like he's got the sound card installed in system slot #3, which is the first PCIe 2.0 slot available. So for that, the way I read it, you have to just be careful about that slot because it shares bandwidth with other system components (other than the GPU's).
Davemon50

Hopper64
Level 15
I was running an SLI configuration with a 40 lane CPU and the sound card (SBZ) is an x1 device. My video cards both ran x16. Post 22 here:

**https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57741-Share-Your-Rampage-V-Build-a-positive-thread/page3

Sound card just above video card#2.*
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I'm running x16x16 with soundcard in x1 slot immediately above second card....

Hopper64
Level 15
Yea. It's all about lane allocation. There's no PCIe ssd in his own spec list, so I was thinking x16, x16, x1 so he isn't exceeding 40 with that and should have no conflicts if he chooses the same installation as per Arne and myself.
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

XBrookieX
Level 7
Nice 1 thanks to you all, *(piece of mind)
I'm going to buy a dedicated sound blaster ZR to replace the onboard sound.
Gotta admit I fell for the hype to the new onboard chip *of the x99 yet disappointed coming from the creative X-fi and the options I could do with the software.
It's good to look through the side and see lots of toys amplifies the look and character.*

Hopper64
Level 15
I have tried onboard sound myself and I ended up going back to my Creative SBZ. Some are completely satisfied with onboard sound. Just a matter of personal preference.

Vlada011
Level 10
Sound Card should be installed in x1 slot. On that way she not influence on GPU speed even with 28 lanes.
No matter how motherboard look without x1 slot for me not exist. ASRock example build bunch of motherboards without x1 slot for X99.
Even mATX board need x1 slot, even better x4 and than customer could install something else if don't want sound card.

ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 is for me perfect motherboard layout.
With x1 and x4 slots. That's motherboard perfection and I can't calm down 2h after I see her pictures because I wait and wait and she show up much later.

I don't know how people could use Onboard sound, no matter on quality.
Difference between medium Realtek and Supreme FX is double better, from SupremeFX to SBZ is again same, from SBZ to SBZxR or Xonar STX II again is far better.
I had SBZ 4 years, after that I had excllent offer to buy SBZxR for only 120 euro and after I sold mine SBZ she cost me arround 60 euro. After few months I still notice difference even looking youtube, every noise is little different, every. And I could imagine than when someone upgrade from Onboard to 180$ worth card.
SBZxR keep high price, but Xonar Essence STX II cost same but I saw on discount for 180$ or euro. Anyone who think what to do should invest instantly.
Special because most of people who think about Sound Card pay 500$+ for GPU and replace for 2-3 years. Sound Card stay until motherboard support connection.
Even after 10 years difference is not so huge as 2 generation of GPU. Better sound processors with real difference show up rear, on few years.

It's normal if someone want best processor power, best Graphic, fast SSD and M.2, nice monitor... why is different with sound from PC,
it's important as anything else.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Any card that was capable of running both cards at 16x wont have an issue in the least with adding a sound card.
FWIW X8 still supersedes the bandwidth required by the GPUs so even if they dropped back to x8 no performance hit.

A suggestion that I found to be quite lucrative is to ditch the sound card and use the Toslink out or even USB to an external DAC. Plenty on the market from a few hundred to a few thousand and most are audiophile/studio quality with 24 bit 192kHz sampling rate. This dissolves any worries of lane distribution, leaves more room in your case and most importantly of all get you the best possible sound reproduction available.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein