cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG G752VY Thunderbolt 3 firmware-upgrade (2017-5-12)!

Gustave
Level 9
For those interested:

There is an update at the G752VY support site regarding the Thunderbolt 3 adapter. It prepares the G752VY for the XG Station 2.

Cheerio!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
19 REPLIES 19

diogogmaio
Level 7
Gustave wrote:
For those interested:

There is an update at the G752VY support site regarding the Thunderbolt 3 adapter. It prepares the G752VY for the XG Station 2.

Cheerio!

I don't see anything new .... ?!?!?

Gustave
Level 9
It wasn't there yesterday!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CladMaster
Level 7
I can confirm that the firmware is there for the G752VL as well.

Please note:
There is no update for the models listed below (I looked today), so they may not need the firmware update, maybe someone can confirm this.

ROG G752VM
ROG G752VS OC Edition (7th Gen Intel Core)
ROG G752VS
ROG G752VSK

UPDATE: 8/20/2017

If you are having problems updating the Thunderbolt firmware to the latest version download all the Thunderbolt firmware files for your laptop from the correct download section and flash them in order using the steps below as a guide.

If you have firmware 10, flash the next one above that ... ie ASUS Thunderbolt firmware Update NVM_v10_TI_v1.3 to ASUS Thunderbolt firmware Update NVM_v13_TI_v1.3

Once you have updated the firmware(s) in order, you should be able to flash the latest one.

UPDATE END

Thunderbolt Firmware update for the following ------- G752VY, G752VT and G752VL

There are two downloads under "XG Station 2", download both files, make sure you are in the support area for your laptop model ie G752VY, G752VT or G752VL etc. (See the support page for your laptop model, download the correct files, more details below).

Install as follows.... for all G752 models VY, VT and VL.

Step one

Warning -- Download the correct BIOS file for your laptop before you flash it, always double check before you flash the BIOS, if in doubt, delete the file and start again.

Make sure you have flashed the latest BIOS to your G752VL / VT / VY (See the support page for your laptop model and select BIOS and download the latest one and flashed it).

Uninstall any Thunderbolt driver / software that you have on the G752xx and reboot.

Install the new Thunderbolt Driver and reboot.
NEW
Thunderbolt Driver -- Version 16.3.61.275
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?94002-NEW-Intel-Thunderbolt-Software-Driver-Version-16-3-6...

Step two

Please note the 'xx' in the model name .... ie G752VT (G752xx), make sure you download the correct Thunderbolt Firmware for your laptop as detailed below

G752VL >> G752VL_TBT_FW_For_XG_Station2.zip
G752VT >> G752VT_TBT_FW_For_XG_Station2.zip
G752VY >> G752VY_TBT_FW_For_XG_Station2.zip

The new Thunderbolt firmware is double packed in this file >> G752xx_TBT_FW_For_XG_Station2.zip. Unzip the file using WinZip or 7-ZIP.
Find the file named >> Update_V1.0.1.0 G752xx.7z This file needs to be unpacked using WinZip or 7-ZIP.

You will now have a folder called >> Update_V1.0.1.0 G752xx and inside that the same folder again (Update_V1.0.1.0 G752xx)
eg, (x:\Asus G752\eSupport\ThunderBolt\G752xx_TBT_FW_For_XG_Station2\G752xx_TBT_FW_For_XG_Station2\Update_V1.0.1.0 G752xx\Update_V1.0.1.0 G752xx)

Step three --- Flash the update

Make sure that the Thunderbolt software is running, there should be a Thunderbolt icon in the right side of the start bar next to the clock (see picture below).
Make sure that there is no device connected to the USB-C / Thunderbolt port on the laptop.
Run the file Update.exe that's in the folder called 'Update_V1.0.1.0 G752xx' and click on Update.
Wait for the update to complete, it can take up to 2 minutes.
When done, shutdown the laptop (do not do a Restart)
Pull the power lead and wait 10 - 20 seconds and plug the power lead back in and restart the laptop.
Run the Thunderbolt software.
Right click the Thunderbolt Icon on the right side of the Start Bar (task bar).
Click on settings
Click on Details
You need to have the following as shown in the picture below. If for some reason you don't see NVM Firmware of 21.00 or PD Firmware of 1.07.06, do step three all over again.

CladMaster wrote:
I can confirm that the firmware is there for the G752VL as well.

There is no update for the models listed below (I looked today), so they may not need the firmware update, maybe someone can confirm this.
ROG G752VM
ROG G752VS OC Edition (7th Gen Intel Core)
ROG G752VS

Thunderbolt Firmware update for the following ------- G752VY, G752VT and G752VL

There are two downloads under "XG Station 2", download both files, make sure you are in the support area for your laptop model ie G752VY, G752VT or G752VL etc. (See the support page for your laptop model, download the correct files, more details below).

Install as follows.... for all G752 models VY, VT and VL.

Step one

Warning -- Download the correct BIOS file for your laptop before you flash it, always double check before you flash the BIOS, if in doubt, delete the file and start again.

Make sure you have flashed the latest BIOS to your G752VL / VT / VY (See the support page for your laptop model and select BIOS and download the latest one and flashed it).

Uninstall any Thunderbolt driver / software that you have on the G752xx and reboot.

Install the new Thunderbolt Driver and reboot.

Step two

Please note the 'xx' in the model name .... ie G752VT (G752xx), make sure you download the correct Thunderbolt Firmware for your laptop as detailed below

G752VL >> G752VL_TBT_FW_For_XG_Station2.zip
G752VT >> G752VT_TBT_FW_For_XG_Station2.zip
G752VY >> G752VY_TBT_FW_For_XG_Station2.zip

The new Thunderbolt firmware is double packed in this file >> G752xx_TBT_FW_For_XG_Station2.zip. Unzip the file using WinZip or 7-ZIP.
Find the file named >> Update_V1.0.1.0 G752xx.7z This file needs to be unpacked using WinZip or 7-ZIP.

You will now have a folder called >> Update_V1.0.1.0 G752xx and inside that the same folder again (Update_V1.0.1.0 G752xx)
eg, (x:\Asus G752\eSupport\ThunderBolt\G752xx_TBT_FW_For_XG_Station2\G752xx_TBT_FW_For_XG_Station2\Update_V1.0.1.0 G752xx\Update_V1.0.1.0 G752xx)

Step three --- Flash the update

Make sure that the Thunderbolt software is running, there should be a Thunderbolt icon in the right side of the start bar next to the clock (see picture below).
Make sure that there is no device connected to the USB-C / Thunderbolt port on the laptop.
Run the file Update.exe that's in the folder called 'Update_V1.0.1.0 G752xx' and click on Update.
Wait for the update to complete, it can take up to 2 minutes.
When done, shutdown the laptop (do not do a Restart)
Pull the power lead and wait 10 - 20 seconds and plug the power lead back in and restart the laptop.
Run the Thunderbolt software.
Right click the Thunderbolt Icon on the right side of the Start Bar (task bar).
Click on settings
Click on Details
You need to have the following as shown in the picture below. If for some reason you don't see NVM Firmware of 21.00 or PD Firmware of 1.07.06, do step three all over again.

What about prototype folder»?

Faberge
Level 7
Thanks for the guide, Clad. Today I was able to update the FW on my G752VY as well. The TB controller with the last version shows the available eGPU support (prev. lacked). The XG2 Tool also states that the graphic station is connected to the notebook successfully. Yet I cant find where the external GPU can be paired with the notebooks screen, as it is considered to be "inactive" in some Nvidia's tool (second icon from the left in the Task bar on your picture). So in games there is no increase in performance, as only internal card is considered to work with the display.That still puzzles me.

Faberge wrote:
Thanks for the guide, Clad. Today I was able to update the FW on my G752VY as well. The TB controller with the last version shows the available eGPU support (prev. lacked). The XG2 Tool also states that the graphic station is connected to the notebook successfully. Yet I cant find where the external GPU can be paired with the notebooks screen, as it is considered to be "inactive" in some Nvidia's tool (second icon from the left in the Task bar on your picture). So in games there is no increase in performance, as only internal card is considered to work with the display.That still puzzles me.

If you're trying to use an external GPU dock, like the XG Station 2, you'll need to connect an external display if your laptop supports GSync. Says so right at the bottom of the XG Station 2 page "*if your notebook supports NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ technology, an external display being connected to ROG XG station 2 is required to utilize the graphics card in ROG XG Station 2."- https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards-Accessory/ROG-XG-STATION-2/

BoutTime01
Level 7
So interestingly if I click on the link and change the model to the G752VT, the website shows the Thunderbolt port as supporting speeds upto 40gbit/s instead of 20gbit/s. So the question I've ever been asking all along is can my G752VT support 40gbit/s?
If yes then I may still opt for an XG Station 2. The fact they have rolled out software support for it makes me think the TB supports the higher speeds otherwise they wouldn't have bothered as 20 Gbits/s is nowhere fast enough to utilise the XG Station 2. It would be no quicker than the built in mobile GPU.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

BoutTime01 wrote:
So interestingly if I click on the link and change the model to the G752VT, the website shows the Thunderbolt port as supporting speeds upto 40gbit/s instead of 20gbit/s. So the question I've ever been asking all along is can my G752VT support 40gbit/s?
If yes then I may still opt for an XG Station 2. The fact they have rolled out software support for it makes me think the TB supports the higher speeds otherwise they wouldn't have bothered as 20 Gbits/s is nowhere fast enough to utilise the XG Station 2. It would be no quicker than the built in mobile GPU.

I am still trying to get this verified with the speed of the USB-C / Thunderbolt port. As soon as I have some info I'll post it here.

CladMaster wrote:
I am still trying to get this verified with the speed of the USB-C / Thunderbolt port. As soon as I have some info I'll post it here.

Thanks. I've been trying too and was told it is 20Gbit/s but they were on using the Asus product support site fire reference which have been shown to be wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk