cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bios not detecting m.2 ssd 960 EVO NVMe on Maximus IX Formula

gimmieaname
Level 7
Hello,

I just assembled my rig. For now, the only mass storage device connected is my SAMSUNG 960 EVO NVMe PCIe. I also have Windows 10 USB installation.

First, the bios is not detecting the m.2 ssd. I made several changes to the bios to get it to recognize the drive, but no dice.

From reading on the forums, I have obtained the following and put them on a USB stick:

Samsung NVM Express Driver 2.2.exe

Samsung_Magician_Installer.exe

Z170-PRO-GAMING-ASUS-2003.CAP

But how do I even go about loading these up if the system has no Windows installation? Should the bios recognize the ssd prior to Windows installation? If that is the case, what can I do to get it recognize the drive?

I guess I am at a loss on how to install anything when there is no OS.

I thought that this would be plug and play, I am disappointed that this much setup is required for something as simple as a mass storage device.
15 REPLIES 15

Chino
Level 15
1. Clear your CMOS.
2. Turn on your system.
3. Spam the F8 key once you see the ASUS logo upon POST.
4. Select the entry with the UEFI prefix for your installation media.

Chino-your suggestion worked like magic. I reset the CMOS, restarted and bam!

This is perfect, thank you kind stranger.

Chino wrote:
1. Clear your CMOS.
2. Turn on your system.

Fails at step 4 for me. When I spam F8 I see nothing in the boot options screen.

I tried loading a Win10 ISO from USB and loaded the standard NVME driver from the Win10 setup as well as Samsungs V2 NVME.INF as the driver. Still receive the error 'no drives found' so I am thinking this motherboards M2_2 is just defective.

Chino wrote:
1. Clear your CMOS.
2. Turn on your system.

Hey guys I been reading forums for the part 3 days. And I need some serious help. So here's the problem. I have a asus Maximus ix formula and installed on it the 960 evo 1t ssd m.2. So when I first built the rig all went smoothly got windows on the ssd and all was well for about 4 months. One day I come back to see my screen in bios and the ssd is not detected. I went through the usual trouble shooting. Trying it out in both m.2_1 and 2 slots. So I figured ok. The ssd is dead * Got a new one from amazon. Installed it properly in slot 1. Boot it up. Bios sees the 960 evo. Cool. Proceed to install windows 10 as normal. Windows goes through its usual stuff partitioning what it need. Installs and goes for the restart to initialize windows. BUT IT DOES NOT. it kicks me back to the bios. I have tried many things at this point. Everything from cmd disk part clean to messing with all the options in the bios * * I even went as far as to see if the dam thing works. So I installed windows on another ssd a Samsung 850 evo 500 gb. And it took it just fine and I got windows running on it. And I went into device manager and I see that windows see and detects the 960 evo. I can even see the windows files that were installed on in. But every time I got to boot from the 960 it says no. And kicks me to the bios with no errors. And also in the boot menu I see the drive but I don't see the boot manager. I also made use it was formatted correctly to GPT FORMAT * * I'm just lost at this point. I even called an IT guy to help and we still couldn't figure it out. Nor could the ASUS customer support or Samsung support. * The thing is weird that the bios sees it. Windows sees it when loading from different ssd. But it refuses to boot from it. Also Samsung magician can't see it either. Now granted that the 850 is formatted to MBT that might be why Magician can't see it. But at this point I need help. I'm out of ideas and my eyes are gonna start bleeding if I google any more. @Chino please help. I know you know this still like the back of your hand. I need your magic.*

Stig42 wrote:
Hey guys I been reading forums for the part 3 days. And I need some serious help. So here's the problem. I have a asus Maximus ix formula and installed on it the 960 evo 1t ssd m.2. So when I first built the rig all went smoothly got windows on the ssd and all was well for about 4 months. One day I come back to see my screen in bios and the ssd is not detected. I went through the usual trouble shooting. Trying it out in both m.2_1 and 2 slots. So I figured ok. The ssd is dead * Got a new one from amazon. Installed it properly in slot 1. Boot it up. Bios sees the 960 evo. Cool. Proceed to install windows 10 as normal. Windows goes through its usual stuff partitioning what it need. Installs and goes for the restart to initialize windows. BUT IT DOES NOT. it kicks me back to the bios. I have tried many things at this point. Everything from cmd disk part clean to messing with all the options in the bios * * I even went as far as to see if the dam thing works. So I installed windows on another ssd a Samsung 850 evo 500 gb. And it took it just fine and I got windows running on it. And I went into device manager and I see that windows see and detects the 960 evo. I can even see the windows files that were installed on in. But every time I got to boot from the 960 it says no. And kicks me to the bios with no errors. And also in the boot menu I see the drive but I don't see the boot manager. I also made use it was formatted correctly to GPT FORMAT * * I'm just lost at this point. I even called an IT guy to help and we still couldn't figure it out. Nor could the ASUS customer support or Samsung support. * The thing is weird that the bios sees it. Windows sees it when loading from different ssd. But it refuses to boot from it. Also Samsung magician can't see it either. Now granted that the 850 is formatted to MBT that might be why Magician can't see it. But at this point I need help. I'm out of ideas and my eyes are gonna start bleeding if I google any more. @Chino please help. I know you know this still like the back of your hand. I need your magic.*

Have you figured it out and if not is there anywhere else to go and get help. I've been looking for weeks to get a bios that supports nvme on Maximus VI Formula with no luck. I'm not a computer engineer so I guess Asus was the wrong way to go. I hope you get your system up and running.

sdmf74
Level 11
Any heat issues using NVME drive on M9F?
Which Nvme slot did you use? Any feedback would be great?
ASUS Maximus 13 Hero, Intel I9 11900k, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA

Hi Chino

Sorry to necro bump this thread but I'm having the same issue and your fix seems relevant, but I'm not seeing anything listed I boot manager.

It's strange, because I had another Formula IX that detected my NVME out of the box but had to go back to Asus for repair.

I now have another Formula IX that I just opened from a sealed box, and it will not detect anything in the M.2_2 slot at all. My old 950 Pro, a brand new 960 Pro, nothing.

The 950/960 both definitely work because they boot fine off a PCIE card. I even went as far as to create a bootable ISO of Win10 with the Samsung nvme.inf loaded on it, but when I get to the point in Windows Setup to choose a drive > load driver > nvme.inf it says no drives found.

Do you think this might be a bad M.2 slot?

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
Chino, i will receive the 960Evo NVMe, Tuesday.

It will be great to make something in order make the correct configuration. Example if CSM has to be on or off. if on M2_1, what else has to be change. if M2_2 is use, aside of x4, what else has to be selected. There are tutorials for raid. in fact is so easy.

Example on hero ix, the top slot is controlled by cpu. the bottom with PCH. benefits on each. there so many many different videos around. but non that really make the trick.

CSM has to be off? there is need to change gen3 on all pcie. why there are 2 types of boot screen. one is nice and the other is bulky. the nice one on heroix is when the CSM if off. etc.

Also on slot M2_1 before doing all these, there is need to change from SATA to PCIe, thnks like that! I add something as a photo that i find.
Learn, Play Enjoy!