cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G11cd upgrade issue with I5-7500 cpu

logitack
Level 7
I have updated the computer BIOS to 0905. I am trying to install an I5-7500 cpu.

After I install the new CPU and start-up the computer, nothing appears to be happening, monitors show no screens and sometimes the keyboard's backlight doesnt work. Other than updating BIOS to 0905, which i have done, is there something else I need to do before the i5-7500 cpu will work on the G11cd?
5 REPLIES 5

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
fyi.

Unfortunately, ASUS doesn't expect customers to upgrade these complete desktop systems, or doesn't provide much support or information about it as you may have found.

If you check the ASUS G11CD download site though in addition to the 0905 bios for the normal G11CD, there is also a 0602 bios for the 'Kabylake' cpu which your i5-7400 falls under, but it's really for a different G11CD motherboard, so unfortunately, it sounds like your system may not support the i5-7400 if you want to check into it more.

If you try to flash the G11CD-K 0602 bios, you should see the system will not let you since you don't really have the correct motherboard or system for that bios (and cpu).

You may want to check around more to confirm this and maybe check that cpu to confirm it is good if there is an easy way (pretty sure it is ok), but that's my understanding of the situation although I have not tried it myself or checked much more into it.

Sorry for the trouble and hope that makes sense. Hopefully it can save you some time and trouble at least. Thanks.

Thanks for the response. I did email asus and it was suggested i flash bios with 0905 and was told it would work. I have subsequently emailed back that it did not work and for more help....but they have yet to respond.

The first time i contacted Asus, I asked if the I5-7500 cpu would work in the g11cd and was assured it would. (eyeroll)

received a response from Asus

Thank you for your response.

There was an update yesterday (2017/05/12) to BIOS version: 0602 (For Kabylake)

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Desktop/G11CD-K/G11CD-KAS0602.zip?_ga=2.89064472.2008435334.1494698...

Kindly update the BIOS and test again please.

but, as D-Albert posted, that bios updaate to 0602 failed to install 😞

I am on bios 0905 and would like to move to an i7-7700 which requires Kaby Lake.

Did this get resolved for you?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
fyi.

Hopefully others will let us know if they found any solution/workaround, but if everyone didn't know already, the G11CD units sold with Skylake cpus actually uses a different motherboard as well as bios than the G11CD units sold with Kaby Lake cpus, so we wouldn't recommend or never approved any Kaby Lake cpus for the G11CD units sold with Skylake cpus.

Haven't discussed this with others to confirm, but guessing we wanted to cut down on the number of models we sell so although internally at ASUS the G11CD with Kaby Lake cpu is known as a different G11CD-K model, it's still sold as the G11CD with its unique set of specifications, but hardware-wise has other differences besides the cpu with the G11CD model sold with Skylake cpu.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks.