Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AIO choice

Links
Level 7
Hello guys!

Here is the story:
I have i7 7700k. It has those famous heat spikes.
They drive me nuts.
Not so long ago I have succesfully got a replacement with RMA.
But the new one spikes even worse!

No BIOS settings or fan curve makes a difference. (maybe you know something to advice here)
Now I have a Noctua air cooler. It handles temp well, but I have to keep it in the manual constant speed mode, to keep the fan steady and quiet.
But when my 1080ti arrives, I will star to play and I'm afraid that Noctua will not handle all the CPU heat on it's current low speed.
But manualy changing the fan curve between silent and high performance every time is no too convenient.

So I am thinking about buying a AIO water cooler.

I'm planing to set those coolers to control the fan's speed by water temperature (they can do that, do they?).
Because water will change it's temp smoothly, there will be no fan speed jumping.
Heat spikes don't consern me in terms of temp too much. It's all about the fan rpm ramping.

Will this plan work?
And what AIO would you advice me to buy?
My choice is prety poor.
Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ring, Corsair h115i, be quiet silent loop 280 and krakens 52 or 61.
And some fans if there will be need for replacement. Cuz reviews often advice to replace stock fans, especially on Corsair.

Thanx in advance!
10 REPLIES 10

Menthol
Level 14
Unless you set the fans manually or with a controller you will probably see the same thing.
The best thing you could do is delid the CPU, Silcon Lottery does this for $50.00
Any of the AIO's you listed will work fine and yes the supplied Corsair fans can be noisy at full speed, personally I don't use software for fan control as it can cause other compatibility issues, but many people do use it

JustinThyme
Level 13
As menthol pointed out the AIO is not going to stop the spikes, delidding will tame them quite lucratively though.

If you are going to liquid cooling your best bet is a custom loop. AIO solutions offer no better performance than a decent air cooling HSF. They do free up case space and generally run a little quieter when configured correctly but are nowhere close to the same ballpark in performance as a custom loop. The biggest pitfall of all AIOs is their construction. Cheap plastic for everything with plenty horror stories of fittings on the block and/or rad cracking and giving everything in your case a nice coolant bath. One user posted here a few month back and had a near total loss. Everything cooked but the PSU and optical drive. They are cheaper for a reason. I keep a corsair h115i in the box for use when testing or setting up outside of a case but thats where it ends. Tried it for a short period and it just doesnt deliver anywhere near as well as a custom loop. Block is rough machined with zero polishing which Ive lapped down somewhat so the craters are at least in check. Difference in temps was substantial enough to get a 6700K from 4.6Ghz on the AIO to 5Ghz on the custom loop.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Links
Level 7
Thanx for your answers.

But I'm not trying to eliminate the spikes.
I'm trying to eliminate fans ramping by monitoring the smoothly changing water temp instead of rapidly spiking CPU temp.

Now i got low Temps around 65°C while 100% CPU load.

I am happy 🙂

This would suit me.
Thanx for the link.

But still, I thought that 280mm AIO would handle better.

Links
Level 7
After some googling I have found out, that the only AIO with water temp control function is Kraken.

Maybe someone can tell me, if I set fans to constant ~400rpm, what temp will this (Kraken x62 or BeQuiet Silent loop 280) AIO handle?
Handle, I mean, what would be CPU's max temp at high loads?

Vlada011
Level 10
It's bad because EKWB delay MLC CPU Cooler from Spring to Autumn.
That should be replacement for EKWB Predator.
Expandable systems are always better if you decide sometimes to install GPU.

Links
Level 7
The only point is to get a cooler, that will be able to work on low rpms without overheating.
Cuz I can not give CPU the rights to controll the fan. CPU spikes and fans go loud without any need.

Under load temp is fine and almost no spikes. But with no load temp jumps all over the place.

Buellersdayoff
Level 7
Corsair aio should be able to use water temp in the corsair link software, at least the older h80i I have can do it.
As mentioned, setting up a manual fan curve in the bios adding a 25 second fan step up should fix the issue