cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coffee Lake support

Luca1980
Level 7
Hi guys,

Will Coffee Lake new processors be supported by Z170 MB?

Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

Menthol
Level 14
That question probably cannot be answered at this time

JustinThyme
Level 13
While I would agree there can be no 100% guaranteed answer my guess would be not even remotely. the Z170 doesnt even fully support kaby lake then add to it we are going to 6 cores over 4 cores and a Z300 series chipset is part of the package aimed for launch at the same time. If I was a betting man I would place my money that the pins are changing and so are the boards and a Z270 wont even support it. This is of course all speculation.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
While I would agree there can be no 100% guaranteed answer my guess would be not even remotely. the Z170 doesnt even fully support kaby lake then add to it we are going to 6 cores over 4 cores and a Z300 series chipset is part of the package aimed for launch at the same time. If I was a betting man I would place my money that the pins are changing and so are the boards and a Z270 wont even support it. This is of course all speculation.

Sure pure speculation.....but Coffee Lake is the same socket 1151 as Kaby lake and Sky Lake (so far nothing else have been reported) . So when we go deeper in you will notice that the 1151 stands for how many pins on the CPU. So when Coffe Lake uses tthe same numbers (1151 pins) Coffe Lake will fit just fine on Z170 (Z270) boards. As you recall The Z170 boards had a BIOS Update to FULL support of Kaby Lake.....not 90 % but 100%. It was the BIOS 3101 that kicked in Kaby Lake support. If you still have the Sky Lake on Z170 no need to go further than BIOS 2202. Conclusion must be that YES you can use Coffee Lake CPU on Z170 (Z270) boards.....BUT with 6 cores on Coffee you WILL miss 2 cores on Skylake and Kaby boards. But how much it will affect performance is unknown. I do not think you will notice anything. Only in Benchmarks and playing games on highest settings on 4K. And i don't think it will be something you will notice when playing games. A couple of more framerates maybe 5. The real difference will be in PCIe lanes. Coffe Lake will have 44.

Korth
Level 14
If Intel makes any Kaby Lake processors with LGA1151 socket then ASUS will release firmware/BIOS updates to support it on all of their LGA1151 motherboards.

If Intel only makes Kaby Lake processors with different sockets, then NO.

The public doesn't really know what Intel is up to yet.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Luca1980
Level 7
Thanks guys.
It will be LGA1151 for sure, but also I think, knowing Intel's policy, they won't make it compatible with Z170. If that's the case, then I will upgrade to a 7700K and live happy for the next 2 years 🙂

Jagdseelen
Level 8

davemon50
Level 11
I agree on PCIe lanes. It's a nice little boost in design options for motherboard mfg's to be able to use those few extra.
Davemon50

Legolas
Level 9
nope, unofficially, Coffeelake processors will not work with Z170 or Z270 motherboards. The Coffeelake processors requires Coffeelake chipset like Z370 MB for all the features like Optane and other new features. Wait and see what Intel really be doing.
Sincerely,
Legolas

Leaked SiSoftware Sandra screens have been posted showing a 6-core Coffee Lake CPU running on the Z270 chipset. These are probably engineering samples but this shows that technically it is possible.

I hope that Intel do permit support for these CPUs on Z270 and Z170 as this will provide an easy upgrade for many. If a new board is required, then switching to Ryzen may be a more attractive option.