Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Q: IDLE CPU temperautes jumps

Hello guys,

I need help and any input will be greatly appreciated

I bought Crosshair VI Hero (1107) and Ryzen 1700x and there is strange temperatures jumps in idle (no matter the clock speed - default, under or oveclocked). This might be a wrong sensor reading, but it makes my fans go frenzy.
    So every now and than (lets say 2-3 min) I have a temperature jump from 42 to about 50-52 degrees for one reading and in the next it goes down to 42. Here is graphical representation:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp_2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	2.7 KB 
ID:	64609

Name:	temp_1.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	64608

Do you know how can I override this or force it steady? (during the readouts, there is no change in VCore, Power Consumption or CPU usage, that is why I am thinking bios or sensor)

ROG Guru: White Belt Array BaneSilvermoon PC Specs
    BaneSilvermoon PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Crosshair VI Hero x370
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 1800x
    Memory (part number)G-skill 4x8 F4-3200C14D-16GFX
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG STRIX-RX480-O8G
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 1TB NVMe
    CPU CoolerCase Integrated 360mm Liquid AIO
    CaseDEEPCOOL GENOME ROG
    Power SupplySilverstone Strider SST-ST1200-PT
    Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Stealth
    Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma
    OS Win10 Home
    Network RouterNetgear Nighthawk X6

I would imagine this is XFR at work bumping up the speed of a few cores, though that shouldn't occur when you over-clock. Are you using hwinfo for monitoring? Should see the max core speeds bumping up around 4ghz if that's the case.

If you're controlling your fans from the bios, increase the fan smoothing to maybe 7 seconds, or a little higher. Then the fans will take a few seconds to gradually speed up and will only really respond to temperature increases that remain constant longer than what you're seeing here. I have my radiator fans set for a 30 second spin up and my case intakes on a 255 second spin up.
    Last edited by BaneSilvermoon; 05-14-2017 at 09:58 AM. Reason: typo

ROG Member Array

I have tried all possible scenarios - default with and whiteout XFR, overclocked - offset and manual.

Other than that I have forced the FAN to work on the same RPMs between 40 and 60 degrees - that somehow solves the fan throttling. Fan smoothing is working also but it still moves the rpm a little.

I have been poking google for the past 2-3 hours and there are people with ASUS mobos showing the same king of temperature jumps. Not sure if this is coming from the CPU or the MOBO readings.

In any case I bought the Crosshair with the idea that buying the high end product will save me from poor software/hardware implementation

ROG Enthusiast Array

That is because the "temperature" ""sensor"" measures an estimated value, never real, that takes into account the power draw vs the current thermal dissipation.

ROG Member Array

you should change your fans manually to not ramp up until around 60c then max out at 75. when tuning the low temp fan speeds find a speed that you can tolerate the sound . It updates as you adjust it so you will know when they get too loud.

ROG Enthusiast Array

This is my profile, always stays at 25%/40%

Name:	5rteherhjh.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	64613

ROG Member Array

einmudung pont

I like to say thank you for your time.

It is a measurement and not a calculation between values. The temperature is a reading of a temperature probes in the socket and the CPU (during this the jumps - the Watts, Voltage and Frequience did not change).

Yeap, I understand what you mean, probably I could even use external temp probe and wire it to a fan, but all that are a workarounds for the fans. I need a solution for the problem itself - the temp jumps .

ROG Guru: White Belt Array eight-bit PC Specs
    eight-bit PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)RoG Strix GL502VS-DB71
    MotherboardRoG Crosshair VI Hero
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 1800X
    Memory (part number)CMK16GX4M2B3200C16
    Graphics Card #1XFX AMD Radeon R9 390 8GB
    MonitorHP 25BW 25"
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Evo
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Evo
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
    Power SupplyCorsair AX860i
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB
    Mouse Corsair Scimitar RGB
    Headset SoundBlaster WoW Wireless Headset
    Headset/Speakers Logitech X-140
    OS Windows 10 Pro Creators Edition
    Accessory #1 NZXT AC-IUSBH-M1 USB Hub

Quote Originally Posted by zaiobaio View Post
    I like to say thank you for your time.

It is a measurement and not a calculation between values. The temperature is a reading of a temperature probes in the socket and the CPU (during this the jumps - the Watts, Voltage and Frequience did not change).

Yeap, I understand what you mean, probably I could even use external temp probe and wire it to a fan, but all that are a workarounds for the fans. I need a solution for the problem itself - the temp jumps .
    I have read that the temp reading is a calculated reading, not an actual temp reading from a temp probe. Reported temperature on my 1800X has some random jumpiness too, nothing that I would regard as a show stopping problem though.

As was already suggested here, modifying your fan profile is probably the best way to deal with this.*

ROG Member Array

Hello,

So you are also experiencing temperature jumps, is it possible to post a graph in IDLE. It is like that? (once square is 13 seconds wide)

Name:	timespan.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	64615

ROG Guru: White Belt Array BaneSilvermoon PC Specs
    BaneSilvermoon PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Crosshair VI Hero x370
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 1800x
    Memory (part number)G-skill 4x8 F4-3200C14D-16GFX
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG STRIX-RX480-O8G
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 1TB NVMe
    CPU CoolerCase Integrated 360mm Liquid AIO
    CaseDEEPCOOL GENOME ROG
    Power SupplySilverstone Strider SST-ST1200-PT
    Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Stealth
    Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma
    OS Win10 Home
    Network RouterNetgear Nighthawk X6

I actually did previously, and was going to post mine when I initially replied. But I don't seem to be getting either the temp spikes OR the processor speed spikes that I used to. I'm not really sure why actually.

The only change I can think of that I made recently was that after enough troubleshooting, I finally got my DPC Latency down to almost nothing.
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...hlight=latency

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast