cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Problems

RonGod666
Level 7
Greetings All. I've built several "PC"s in the past, but the CH6 Hero is the only mobo that has ever given me problems. First I am not a fan of Win10. My favorite OS is Win7. I bought the CH6 Hero and the Ryzen 7 because I've been a fan of AMD and ASUS for sometime and almost all of my builds have been based on those two brands. Now to my problem. I've assembled my new computer and want to load Win7 64 Pro. I turn on the machine and go to BIOS and make sure that USB Legacy is supported. I exit BIOS and load the default settings. The PC then boots form my USB drive and I get to the first Windows installation screen and my mouse and keyboard are dead. I go back into BIOS and ensure that USB Legacy is still supported. It is. I have a drive with Win7 64 Pro on it so I put that in the new machine and attempt to boot from it. The machine boots and I get to the logon screen, but my mouse and keyboard are still dead. I've tried different keyboards and mouse. No love.

Mobo: CH6 Hero 1002
Processor: Ryzen 7 1800x
Memory: 64 GB Corsair
Video: AMD XFX
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO Series - 250GB NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD
WiFi: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 802.11ac, Dual Band, 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 - (7265NGW)
HD: Seagate 1TB Firecuda SSD (hybrid) and 3 TB Seagate

ASUS technician suggested that I RMA the board. The new board behaves just like the old board.

Help
20 REPLIES 20

Korth
Level 14
If ASUS technician suggested RMA then maybe that's the smart thing to do, lol.

Do your USB keyboard/mouse work fine in Win10? If so, then not likely a hardware fault.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

eight-bit
Level 7
What USB ports do you have your kb and mouse on? If you are on USB3 ports Win7 might need drivers before it plays nicely with them.

USB2 ports.

eight-bit wrote:
What USB ports do you have your kb and mouse on? If you are on USB3 ports Win7 might need drivers before it plays nicely with them.

SubnetMask
Level 9
Make sure everything is plugged into USB 2.0 ports. Pretty sure Win 7 and USB 3.0 ports don't play nice in setup. Once you have windows installed and the drivers installed, the 3.0 ports are fine.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Same-o canned answers.

SubnetMask wrote:
Make sure everything is plugged into USB 2.0 ports. Pretty sure Win 7 and USB 3.0 ports don't play nice in setup. Once you have windows installed and the drivers installed, the 3.0 ports are fine.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

RonGod666 wrote:
Same-o canned answers.

Whatever dude :rolleyes:. Fact is Windows 7 doesn't natively support USB 3.0. For better or worse, there are more USB 3.0 ports than 2.0 ports. So if something was plugged into anything other than the 2.0 ports, it's likely it won't work for Win 7 setup. I did get Win 7 x64 running on my Ryzen without any major hoops or hurdles. After I realized the reason it was failing to fully boot setup because I was booting off a USB 3.0 port. Everything on 2.0 (My KB & Mouse - Microsoft Scuplt Ergonomic KB and Logitech MX Master mouse - are connected to a USB hub on one of my Dell U2410 monitors, not directly connected)? After the initial install, install appropriate drivers and golden. I'm also only using the two 'non special' ports - not the ones usable for BIOS flashback or 'keybot'. I see you mention that you have your KB & Mouse plugged into 2.0 ports - perhaps it's some other totally random, unrelated and totally unexpected thing like I've been fighting with the USB 3.1 ports? I am on board #4, where I FINALLY found, with a random comment from Bahz, that when I have my three monitors connected via DisplayPort, the AsMedia USB 3.1 controller goes TILT and vanishes (and actually, on this board, I get a USB over current message on boot - with NOTHING USB connected). If I only have one via HDMI or DisplayPort, or two, one via DisplayPort and one via HDMI, the controller is present and happy as a clam. Why three DisplayPort connections to a XFX Radeon RX480 has ANY effect on the onboard AsMedia USB 3.1 controller, I have ABSOLUTELY no clue. But that's what seems to be happening for me. And for the record, Asus told me the same thing with my USB 3.1 port issue - RMA it - but because I could still swap it with Microcenter, I did that instead of RMAing it because I can't be without my machine for a week or three. No one had ever seen this issue, not even Asus. I must be the only one with a C6H, a XFX RX480 video card and three Dell U2410's connected via Displayport.

And as far as AMD being 'inconsiderate' in 'not supporting' anything before Win10, don't blame AMD. If anything, I'd say blame Microsoft. The same issue exists with Intel. The latest Dell laptops that I order for work can no longer support anything before Win 10 because they are not making drivers for these machines and Win 7 (or something to that effect - unlike with Win7 & Win8/8.1, where you could still get Win 7 if you wanted). Like you, I HATE Win 10 - it SUCKS - and it really ticks me off that we're being railroaded into such a flaming bucket of suck invasive, spying, piece of junk OS. And don't get me started on how it 'just installs stuff'. You get rig of the junk, then install an update, and IT'S BACK!!!! Or junk just randomly shows up! Personally, I hope Microsoft comes to their senses and makes a 'Win 11' that is essentially an updated version of Win7, not a bucket of suck like Win10.

flynkalika
Level 7
Am i the only one that remember that AMD said something like "WIndows 8.1 or older won't be supported"?

flynkalika wrote:
Am i the only one that remember that AMD said something like "WIndows 8.1 or older won't be supported"?

I remember reading that before amd was even showing demos of the cpu but why in the hell would asus even have downloads for unsupported versions of windows?

AfterShock wrote:
I remember reading that before amd was even showing demos of the cpu but why in the hell would asus even have downloads for unsupported versions of windows?

Perhaps it's just laziness buy the cut-and-pasters.