cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

win 7 install issues on z270e gaming

smaxxsmith
Level 7
hello everybody! just assembled a new pc. z270e gaming mobo, i5 7600. 2@8 gig g.skill ddr4-3200. 2 tb seagate barracuda hdd. i tried to install a purchased copy of win 7 pro 64 bit with external dvd drive thru the usb 2.0 port. got the -dvd/cd driver missing- at the very beginning of install. put a download copy of iso file from microsoft on a usb using the usb tool program. link provided by microsoft. on next attempt to boot, usb appeared to be working fine, then the same -missing dvd/cd driver- at the same place at the beginning of the install. most things ive read imply that simply using the usb, to install win 7, fixed the issue. anyone have an additional suggestion? oh, one other thing, mobo doesn't seem to see the new hdd. install never gets to the point of formatting it. is that normal?
11 REPLIES 11

Fletcher
Level 7
I had something similar with installing Windows 10 Pro from a USB drive. It was trying to find drivers for something..forgot what it was, probably for the USB ports. I ended up trying another port and it worked. Once you get pass this part you'll get an option to format your drive. Does the mobo see the drive after posting (bios menu)?

ive tried both the usb 3.0 and usb 2.0 ports. again, cant seem to get to the format point. it asks what language then has -start install- button. clicking on this brings it to the page with -cd/dvd driver is missing- on it. as far as bios seeing the hdd, i see nothing that identifies it in the bios. not sure if it should see it or not since its a new unformatted hdd. it does see the usb drive, obviously, it starts the install.

Your bios should see the hdd even if it's not formatted. If this is your system drive, you have to sort this out first.

ok, ill pick up a new hdd on my way home from work and try it tonight. hopefully this could be the problem. or at least one less problem! lol. thank you!

Chino
Level 15
smaxxsmith wrote:
hello everybody! just assembled a new pc. z270e gaming mobo, i5 7600. 2@8 gig g.skill ddr4-3200. 2 tb seagate barracuda hdd. i tried to install a purchased copy of win 7 pro 64 bit with external dvd drive thru the usb 2.0 port. got the -dvd/cd driver missing- at the very beginning of install. put a download copy of iso file from microsoft on a usb using the usb tool program. link provided by microsoft. on next attempt to boot, usb appeared to be working fine, then the same -missing dvd/cd driver- at the same place at the beginning of the install. most things ive read imply that simply using the usb, to install win 7, fixed the issue. anyone have an additional suggestion? oh, one other thing, mobo doesn't seem to see the new hdd. install never gets to the point of formatting it. is that normal?

Installing Windows 7 on the Z270 platform requires some extra steps: Windows 7 and USB 3.0 driver installation

ASUS_EZ_Installer
-Use this tool(V1.03.06) to create a Windows 7 installation file with USB 3.0 drivers preloaded for motherboards

excellent! now we're talkin'! do you agree that the hdd SHOULD be seen by bios even if its a new hdd? i was going to go with a ssd to replace the possibly faulty hdd. alota money! dont want to if this one may be good. any issues with putting a ssd on this board? should i skip the wired ssd and jump right to the m.2 ssd? i thank you guys for all your big brains! im obviously lacking in them. lol

Chino
Level 15
Yes, the HDD should show up in the BIOS. Are you looking at the right section?

Up to you if you want to roll with NVMe or normal SATA SSD. The motherboard supports both. 🙂

chevell65
Level 12
Seems like this should still work if the USB was plugged into one of the USB 2.0 ports. Or at least that's how it usually works.

The DVD/cd driver missing issue is likely an improperly formatted USB drive or a bad image or .ISO corruption.

thanks, im getting farther. ive tried the asus ez installer and it had an error trying to install the driver pack. can i edit the iso file to manually drop in the drivers and if so, any suggestion on an edit tool? where could i find the specific files for the usb 3.0 drivers and ssd over sata? i picked up a samsung 850 evo ssd. checking to see if the bios sees it tonight. i thank you guys for the help!