cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDD Indicator LED always on, fan header not working, SenseMI query

alexjames
Level 7
Hello all! 😄

Just bought my first ROG motherboard, the X370 Hero, and I have a couple of questions.

I'm using 3200Mhz Corsair LPX at 2133 & a 1700.

I have all of my front header LED & switches plugged in, and they work fine. However, a big orange HDD LED also flashes on the bottom right of the board whenever the HDD light on my case is. This is pretty annoying, can it be disabled? I had a look through the BIOS but couldn't find anything.

Also, my fan connected to 'CHA2' barely spins & is not detected in Windows. The fan works using an external fan controller or a different port on the motherboard.
Any quick fixes for this? If the port is dead I'll probably just go back to using my controller.

and finally... I'm a bit confused about the 'Sense MI Skew' settings & how I should set it using a 1700. When set to auto, my temps never go higher than 49C.
When set to 'Disabled', I see a max of around 64C. I assume I keep it off, however it would be nice if the motherboard could automatically detect whether this option should be enabled or disabled after a CPU install.

That's about all I have to say for now.. Loving the board so far, apart from these little issues
20 REPLIES 20

entropic-remnan
Level 9
Go into the BIOS and set up the "Q-fan" system. Set fan channel 2 to "DC" and then select the maximum all the time. It's a radio button under the graph for that, than click "apply". If it spins up properly then the port is probably fine but it's not seeing the feedback from the fan for some reason. Try some different configurations for that.

I'm using CHA2 in PWM with a pair of Noctua NF-F12 fans for my fron intakes using Noctua's Y-cable and it works fine. It's running PWM in that configuration.

Turn SenseMI skew to "Disabled" on a 1700 (which I have) or temperatures can appear to be all over the map when they ain't.

No clue on the light blinking, sorry.
Tired of trolls and mods that act like this platform has no problems and it's the users fault. Later.

entropic-remnants wrote:
Go into the BIOS and set up the "Q-fan" system. Set fan channel 2 to "DC" and then select the maximum all the time. It's a radio button under the graph for that, than click "apply". If it spins up properly then the port is probably fine but it's not seeing the feedback from the fan for some reason. Try some different configurations for that.

I'm using CHA2 in PWM with a pair of Noctua NF-F12 fans for my fron intakes using Noctua's Y-cable and it works fine. It's running PWM in that configuration.

Turn SenseMI skew to "Disabled" on a 1700 (which I have) or temperatures can appear to be all over the map when they ain't.

Thank you sir! I will try what you suggested regarding the fan as soon as I can.

Does the inbuilt HDD LED not blink for you? I feel like the board might not think I have my HDD LED wires connected. Maybe the wiring to the header isn't quite right.

Will leave Sense MI Skew disabled. Thank you. Should be made more clear/automatic for less advanced users though.

Thanks again for your suggestions! 🙂

Ahhh, now my LED's have died. I have not installed any sort of lighting control program.

Also, I couldn't get the fan to work 😞

I had high hopes for this board, I really hope the next BIOS update addresses some of these issues.

At least it boots 10-15 seconds faster than the MSI X370 SLI Plus I had.

entropic-remnants wrote:

Should i disable SenseMI skew on the 1600x? i am not having temp issues my max temp underload stays below 59-60 degrees also at these temps
my radiator is relatively cool as i can feel coolish air exhausting through the otherside

moshdaman wrote:
Should i disable SenseMI skew on the 1600x? i am not having temp issues my max temp underload stays below 59-60 degrees also at these temps
my radiator is relatively cool as i can feel coolish air exhausting through the otherside

Does your motherboard flash in the bottom right when you're reading/writing data to storage?
I need to know if it's normal hahah

alexjames wrote:
Does your motherboard flash in the bottom right when you're reading/writing data to storage?
I need to know if it's normal hahah

flashes all day even when idle on desktop im having a epileptic fit here

Ah! Thanks guys, at least I'm not alone here.

Hopefully in the next UEFI we have the option to turn it off. 🙂

alexjames wrote:
Ah! Thanks guys, at least I'm not alone here.

Hopefully in the next UEFI we have the option to turn it off. 🙂

There is, side effect is that the red light on the power button on the board is disabled as well. And not sure, but I think it disables your HD activity light on your case also.

Stumbled on it when trying to get my RGB working agian. Not at the machine right now, so I am only taking guesses at the option's location, but I believe it was under Advanced -> RoG effects -> RoG LED or something along those lines.

eight-bit wrote:
There is, side effect is that the red light on the power button on the board is disabled as well. And not sure, but I think it disables your HD activity light on your case also.

Stumbled on it when trying to get my RGB working agian. Not at the machine right now, so I am only taking guesses at the option's location, but I believe it was under Advanced -> RoG effects -> RoG LED or something along those lines.

I don't want to disable the onboard RBB LED's though, just an option to turn the red power button and HDD activity light off would be nice.
My RGB LED's started working again after a restart.
Thanks!