cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot sometimes freezes with Strix GTX 1080Ti OC, Asus Prime Z270-A with DisplayPort

mdzahidh
Level 7
Hi, I'm having this super frustrating problem - the system freezes at the Asus Logo at bootup (when you are asked to presse F2/Del for setup). After countless trial and errors I figured, it only happens when I connect my 4K Dell monitor through the DisplayPort on the GPU. Following are the details

MOBO: Asus Prime Z270-A
GPU: Asus Strix 1080Ti Overclocked
Cooling: CPU is water cooled.

This doesn't seem to happen when I connect any monitor on the DVI/HDMI. Also, the problem doesn't occur all the time, but frequently enough to cause massive frustration. When the system freezes; sometimes the VGA error led is on sometimes the DIM error led is on.

Is there any known incompatibility with the said GPU and the motherboard ?
9 REPLIES 9

it does ! what does it have to do with the usb hub, nothing is connected to the monitor usb, neither is the monitor's usb even connected to the pc.

mdzahidh wrote:
it does ! what does it have to do with the usb hub, nothing is connected to the monitor usb, neither is the monitor's usb even connected to the pc.

That's what I wanted to know. Thanks.

Does your monitor have a Deep Sleep function for DisplayPort? If so, try disabling it.

My monitor (Dell p2715q) doesn't seem to have a clear Deep Sleep setting in the menu. I was using the stock minDP -> DP cable this whole time and as part of one last desperate move, I used a DP->DP cable and that seems to have fixed the issue for now ! Pretty bizzarre that a boot issue winded up being a simple $7 cable issue.

Chino wrote:
Does your monitor have a USB hub?

Hello
I have similar problem...the message for me is ''DPnoSIGNAL'' and need restart to come back.
I try these but the problem remain:
Update drivers Nvidia and monitor.
I replace cables DP and HDMI.
I change the resolution from 2540 to 1920
I replace the monitor with another ASUS 24 inch and everything its OK.(perhaps the VGA 980 is not cooperates good with pg278qr)

Thanx
George
Μobo:ROG STRIX Z790-F GAMING WIFI-CPU:Intel Core i9-14900K-Cooler:EKW-EK-KIT RGB 360-RAM:G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5-6400 CL32 64GB(4 x 16 GB)-GPU:ASUS GeForce® ASUS ROG STRIX GAMING RTX-3080Ti-#43; EKW-EK-KIT 480 RGB -PSU:Corsair HX1200i:HDD:Samsung M2 980 PRO with heatsink 2TB+Samsung 990 PRO 2 TB RAID-0 +Asus RAIDR Express 240GB- Case:Thermaltake View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Editionx

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi George,

What do you mean by similar problem?
Does your system also freeze?
Or only the PG278QR can't detect a signal?
Both HDMI and DP? Tried selecting the input manually?

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Hi George,

What do you mean by similar problem?
Does your system also freeze?
Or only the PG278QR can't detect a signal?
Both HDMI and DP? Tried selecting the input manually?

Hello,
During I playing some games (Company of Heroes2,World Of Tanks etc) the monitor(PG278QR) stops and message appear ''display port No signal''(both input HDMI or DP) and only restart needed to come back
I 'm trying reinstall drivers of vga card(ASUS MATRIX-P-980) ,previous drivers of Nvidia,change the card to another pci-e slot(ASUS RVE10),change resolution from 2K to 1920x1080 60hz and fresh windows 10 install nothing at all.Of course trying another cables DP or HDMI,unpluged the usb hub of monitor,try to select from menu of monitor input manually the HDMI to DP no good result.
I try my old ASUS monitor VS248H and everything its OK.
I bought this monitor before 2 months for better performance and the problems remains from the first date of use.
I 'm wondering if there is any problem of compatibility about monitor and card but I dont have another card with display port to try this..
Thanx
Μobo:ROG STRIX Z790-F GAMING WIFI-CPU:Intel Core i9-14900K-Cooler:EKW-EK-KIT RGB 360-RAM:G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5-6400 CL32 64GB(4 x 16 GB)-GPU:ASUS GeForce® ASUS ROG STRIX GAMING RTX-3080Ti-#43; EKW-EK-KIT 480 RGB -PSU:Corsair HX1200i:HDD:Samsung M2 980 PRO with heatsink 2TB+Samsung 990 PRO 2 TB RAID-0 +Asus RAIDR Express 240GB- Case:Thermaltake View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Editionx

Koutport wrote:
Hello,
During I playing some games (Company of Heroes2,World Of Tanks etc) the monitor(PG278QR) stops and message appear ''display port No signal''(both input HDMI or DP) and only restart needed to come back
I 'm trying reinstall drivers of vga card(ASUS MATRIX-P-980) ,previous drivers of Nvidia,change the card to another pci-e slot(ASUS RVE10),change resolution from 2K to 1920x1080 60hz and fresh windows 10 install nothing at all.Of course trying another cables DP or HDMI,unpluged the usb hub of monitor,try to select from menu of monitor input manually the HDMI to DP no good result.
I try my old ASUS monitor VS248H and everything its OK.
I bought this monitor before 2 months for better performance and the problems remains from the first date of use.
I 'm wondering if there is any problem of compatibility about monitor and card but I dont have another card with display port to try this..
Thanx

Hello again!
After a responce from MasterC@Asus all issues fixed with this Nvidia driver: 387.92.
Thanx very much !!