cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G551JK (4710HQ) thermal throttling

Shloeb
Level 7
Hello,

I have been using this laptop from last 2.5 years. It has a 4710hq processor and a nvidia gtx 850m GPU.

I have noticed the following temps in gaming at load:

CPU: 95 degrees
GPU: 90 degrees

I decided to undervolt my processor today by 0.050v and ran Prime95 I have noticed that the processor is able to reach a max clock speed of 2.50ghz instead of the capable 3.50 ghz clock.

I would like to know if this is normal with notebook cooling? Has anybody else faced similar problems? Does it mean I can't expect more performance out of this machine with the amount of cooling provided by ASUS?

Or should I be looking for better quality thermal paste and cleaning stuff. However, before going that route I would like to know if 3.50 ghz clocks are achievable without any over the top cooling solutions or not.

Thanks

PS: I got the laptop cleaned about 6 months back.
2 REPLIES 2

unclewebb
Level 10
The 4710HQ has a TDP rating of 47 Watts. *When running a stress test like Prime95, the CPU would like to consume WAY more than 47 Watts. *For long term use, Intel designed this CPU to throttle back the CPU speed so it does not exceed 47 Watts. *It does not matter how great your cooling is. *When running stress tests like Prime95, you will still be limited to 47 Watts.

The 4710MQ is rated at 3.50 GHz but this multiplier is only available when a single core of the CPU is active. *This speed is rarely achieved because most apps / games combined with all of the Windows background processes will keep more than one core active, all of the time. **

Cleaning and repasting your CPU is always a good idea but it is not going to allow you to go beyond these built in limits.*

unclewebb wrote:
The 4710HQ has a TDP rating of 47 Watts. *When running a stress test like Prime95, the CPU would like to consume WAY more than 47 Watts. *For long term use, Intel designed this CPU to throttle back the CPU speed so it does not exceed 47 Watts. *It does not matter how great your cooling is. *When running stress tests like Prime95, you will still be limited to 47 Watts.

The 4710MQ is rated at 3.50 GHz but this multiplier is only available when a single core of the CPU is active. *This speed is rarely achieved because most apps / games combined with all of the Windows background processes will keep more than one core active, all of the time. **

Cleaning and repasting your CPU is always a good idea but it is not going to allow you to go beyond these built in limits.*

Thank you for the response. I really appreciate it. I guess I will let it be.