cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G20AJ upgrade to GTX 1050 or 1050 ti?

juggar
Level 7
My friend has one of these PC's with the i3. Something is wrong with the harddrive and he is sending it to me to fix/update it.

He was not able to figure out what GPU was in it but suffice to say, probably a GTX 745. This is not acceptable for Player Unknown Battlegrounds.

So, what is the strongest GPU I can put in there without having to buy another PSU? I am doing this as a favor to him so I dont want to break the bank! But I will pick up a 1050 if the PC can run it.

Will a 1050 or 1050 ti fit? I know there are no blower models. Also, the TDP of each is 75 watts. Otherwise I will go with a 750 Ti which is marginal but will do the job.
9 REPLIES 9

Chino wrote:
What power supply does he have in his PC?

Im not sure, he's essentially tech illiterate. But I would assume whatever came with the GTX 745 PC's. Probably 180 watt.

i3 cpu is only 54 watt TDP so a 75 watt card should be OK assuming it fits. Im just not sure what will physically fit.

Go over to your friend and check the parts, you can use programs like CPU-Z etc to see the actual parts.
Put these in pcpartpickers.com and check watts, the PSU should have a listing some where to see the actual rating and certificate.

As for the card a Ti will be better over a normal 1050 performance wise, simple measurements with a roller will do.
ASUS etc will list the size of the card so you can take that into consideration, or look at a Sapphire card those are pretty cheap.

HisEvilness wrote:
Go over to your friend and check the parts, you can use programs like CPU-Z etc to see the actual parts.
Put these in pcpartpickers.com and check watts, the PSU should have a listing some where to see the actual rating and certificate.

As for the card a Ti will be better over a normal 1050 performance wise, simple measurements with a roller will do.
ASUS etc will list the size of the card so you can take that into consideration, or look at a Sapphire card those are pretty cheap.

The thing is he is in New Mexico and im in North carolina (1500+ miles! 2400+ km) . Otherwise I would have already fixed it had I lived near him.

This isnt a normal PSU, this is a laptop type adapter so its not a normal ATX style PSU. The cost is similar between a GTX 1050 and 750Ti so I guess ill buy a 1050 and hope for the best that it fits. I dont have a way to know it will fit unless someone on here can confirm.

Kind of hoping someone here has used a 1050 in one of these PC's.

Yo,

You gonna have to ask your friend to find out, also when PSU get older they degrade.
Might even be that when he puts in whatever card the PSU dies on you.

Point him towards pcpartpickers.com and let him get as close as possible with the watts as he can.
A shot is better as no shot, psu dies he is further away from and needs to replace that as well.

HisEvilness wrote:
Yo,

You gonna have to ask your friend to find out, also when PSU get older they degrade.
Might even be that when he puts in whatever card the PSU dies on you.

Point him towards pcpartpickers.com and let him get as close as possible with the watts as he can.
A shot is better as no shot, psu dies he is further away from and needs to replace that as well.

He already sent me the PC via UPS. So itll be like a week before I get it.

It was hardly used so the 180 watt adapter should be fine. Was really hoping someone had experience with a 1050 fitting in the ROG G20AJ so I could just go ahead and order it so itll get here the same time as the PC.

juggar wrote:
He already sent me the PC via UPS. So itll be like a week before I get it.

It was hardly used so the 180 watt adapter should be fine. Was really hoping someone had experience with a 1050 fitting in the ROG G20AJ so I could just go ahead and order it so itll get here the same time as the PC.

Hope this helps but the dimensions on the 1050 are 5.7 x 1.5 x 4.38 inches for an EVGA

I have an Asus Turbo 1070 with 10.5 x 1.5 x 4.38 and it fits fine, so the 1050 should fit as long as you stay within the 1.5 and 4.38 dimensions.

Hope that helps

chrimen wrote:
Hope this helps but the dimensions on the 1050 are 5.7 x 1.5 x 4.38 inches for an EVGA

I have an Asus Turbo 1070 with 10.5 x 1.5 x 4.38 and it fits fine, so the 1050 should fit as long as you stay within the 1.5 and 4.38 dimensions.

Hope that helps

Thanks! I got the Zotac 1050 but its the same size as the EVGA one so it'll fit!

HisEvilness
Level 7
Even better you can look if it can handle but as it stands it looks like it has a 780, so it should work with a 1050.
https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG_G20AJ/

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-780/specifications
GTX 780 Graphics Card Dimensions:
4.376 inchesHeight
10.5 inchesLength
Dual-slot

Graphics Card Dimensions:
4.38"4.38"Height
5.7"5.7"Length
2-Slot