cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fan XPERT 4 and PWM Fans on the FAN EXTENSION CARD ports.

asus_user_1234
Level 7
PWM fans are not recognized as PWM and cannot be controlled using a curve (smart-profile) from (the most recent) Fan XPERT 4,
when those fans are connected to the EXT* 4-pin fan ports on the ASUS Fan Extension Card.

The extension card is connected to the ROG z270 Formula IX motherboard using the 5-pin control cable from the EXT_FAN header on the mo-bo.
It is powered by the 12v molex connector. The extension card page lists the motherboard as supported.

The fans are industrial Noctua F14 3000 rpm fans.
I can control correctly those fans from the BIOS in almost their full profile range 5%-84% (150 - 2500 rpm) when connected to the EXT* headers in PWM mode.
When connected to the EXT* headers they are recognized as DC (only) in Fan XPERT 4 and can only be controlled using a fixed RPM setting.
Alternatively, they can be switched in BIOS to DC, which allows to control those fans from Fan XPERT 4 in DC mode.
Switching to DC results in an odd control curve being recognized with starting point at 1300 rpm - which is not very soft on ears.

When connected to the HAMP header or the CHASIS fan headers, the fans work properly with BIOS and Fan XPERT 4 as well in PWM mode.
Also, I have tested Fan XPERT 4 and the extension-card headers using "Be Quiet" 1000 rpm fans - with the similar results.

I assume this is a missing support from Fan XPERT 4 on my motherboard model.
I have seen similar issues with Fan XPERT 3 software reported for ASUS motherboards.
Unfortunately, I cannot test with another ASUS Fan Extension Card because they are nowhere to become.

My OS is Win10 64 bit.
1 REPLY 1

Runit
Level 7
asus_user_1234 wrote:
PWM fans are not recognized as PWM and cannot be controlled using a curve (smart-profile) from (the most recent) Fan XPERT 4,
when those fans are connected to the EXT* 4-pin fan ports on the ASUS Fan Extension Card.

The extension card is connected to the ROG z270 Formula IX motherboard using the 5-pin control cable from the EXT_FAN header on the mo-bo.
It is powered by the 12v molex connector. The extension card page lists the motherboard as supported.

The fans are industrial Noctua F14 3000 rpm fans.
I can control correctly those fans from the BIOS in almost their full profile range 5%-84% (150 - 2500 rpm) when connected to the EXT* headers in PWM mode.
When connected to the EXT* headers they are recognized as DC (only) in Fan XPERT 4 and can only be controlled using a fixed RPM setting.
Alternatively, they can be switched in BIOS to DC, which allows to control those fans from Fan XPERT 4 in DC mode.
Switching to DC results in an odd control curve being recognized with starting point at 1300 rpm - which is not very soft on ears.

When connected to the HAMP header or the CHASIS fan headers, the fans work properly with BIOS and Fan XPERT 4 as well in PWM mode.
Also, I have tested Fan XPERT 4 and the extension-card headers using "Be Quiet" 1000 rpm fans - with the similar results.

I assume this is a missing support from Fan XPERT 4 on my motherboard model.
I have seen similar issues with Fan XPERT 3 software reported for ASUS motherboards.
Unfortunately, I cannot test with another ASUS Fan Extension Card because they are nowhere to become.

My OS is Win10 64 bit.

i also have problems whit the ext fan card in the pios the fans wil spin but once windows is started and the ai suit is running they stop
the bios also displays weerd rpms some times over 30000 i had it working once dont know if it was the bios update or the ia suit
stil to many problems whit all the aus software so have not tested it all yet
im running it on a x99 strix