cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Really Clear Manual P-State Overclocking Guide

entropic-remnan
Level 9
It's over on the Linus Tech Tips Forum: Manual P-State Overclocking Guide

No knock on Elmor but I was struggling to get the p-state utility driver installed and I didn't really want something to have to run to set them. The guide shows you how to do it entirely in the BIOS.

Now my system spins up to my desired core voltage and frequency on demand but down-clocks and down-volts on idle. There is a huge difference in power drain as measured by a "Kill-A-Watt" meter on my AC to the computer. I went from 120 watts at idle to 80 watts at idle. That's quite a bit. Of course, at full speed it's still pulling about 260 watts or so from the wall.

A couple of things that really helped me get through the frustration and bad results:

• The first step is to get a regular overclock nailed down for the CPU
  • You have to enable global p-states in the AMD CBS/Zen Common Options area
  • AI Overclock in Extreme tweaker goes to manual, but all your options are basically on AUTO including the CPU multiplier.
  • You will use offset voltage adjustment method in Extreme Tweaker based on the "default voltage" in the P0 state which is 1.18375 or so for my 1700 non-X and it will vary depending on your chip. Subtract that from your desired voltage to get the offset and enter it as a positive offset.
  • You DO NOT set the VID (voltage control) in state P0 or it all goes to hell. That's a bug but an important one. DO NOT CHANGE IT when you switch to a custom P0 state. Only change the frequency by changing the PID number. Changes show in a gray areas above where you enter the data for custom p-states.
  • You ONLY need to set up a custom P0, leave all the other states on AUTO.

Now my little list above is NOT the guide, only a list of things I wasn't clear on from reading other guides and trying to get all the info out of the 1600 pages of posts on overclock.net on Crosshair overclocking. I'm using the Ryzen Balanced power plan with the CPU minimum state set to 20%. My benchmarks are giving me the same numbers as when I was running a constant vcore and overclock. Very pleased.
Tired of trolls and mods that act like this platform has no problems and it's the users fault. Later.
17 REPLIES 17

gupsterg
Level 13
I would also advise anyone using PState OC via UEFI to disable Core Performance Boost on Extreme Tweaker page, view this post for extra info.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:
I would also advise anyone using PState OC via UEFI to disable Core Performance Boost on Extreme Tweaker page, view this post for extra info.

Good advice. You too are a p-state by UEFI overclocker I believe. I much prefer not having to use an app for that so I took the same approach seeing that folks were doing it successfully. I just felt really stupid as I was having a problem understanding it all, lol. I get it now though, praise God!
Tired of trolls and mods that act like this platform has no problems and it's the users fault. Later.

GrooveIsNow
Level 7
Thanks for posting this! I've been reading up on pstate overclocking the last couple weeks because I wondered why there was no longer an "Adaptive" voltage setting that I used to have on my Asus Z87 Pro. I came across another tutorial but it wasn't as detailed as this one.

I actually started experimenting with it a couple weeks ago and I think I finally settled on my current settings. I don't have the best chip for overclocking, I have to crank 1.42v to get 3.9Ghz stable. However after several tests using programs I use every day I found 3.7ghz give me the best performance, low voltage and low temps. The performance difference between 3.7-3.9 was neglible.

For example a simple 3d render (Using Adobe Project Felix which only uses CPU for rendering)
3.7Ghz 1.25v
Render Time 2:12sec
Load Temps 53
CPU Package Power 90-95w (roughly)

3.9Ghz 1.42v
Render Time 2:09
Load Temps 63
CPU Package Power 120-125w (roughly)

This echos true for other programs like Premiere and After Effects. I can't say the same for gaming but for me it's clear that the extra 200Mhz boost isn't worth it and plus at this clock speed I don't have to push my CPU as hard. Along with PState overclocking I have a stable, cool and well balanced set up. I'm sure I'll keep tinkering but for everyday use it's more than enough.

Darth_Ender
Level 9
I stopped caring about frequency scaling and thus p-states with Ryzen. Not using frequency scaling and using the Performance power management mode (in win10 and linux), my cpu idles at 35-38 degrees depending on the ambient room temp (75-85F). Lower than my 8350 with frequency scaling active.

Leaves little reason for me to chase p-state issues in the bios and subsequent issues in getting it to behave properly in linux and windows (linux seemed to be stuck using some standard acpi p-states instead of what you set in the bios).

entropic-remnan
Level 9
Tend to agree that p-state overclocking is not a necessity, or even a "virtue". But I liked the idea since I leave my computer running for long periods of time and somehow -- and this is just me -- I disliked the idea of unnecessary power consumption. It won't make any visible difference in my utility bill, and I'm not a die-hard "save the planet" type, lol -- it just appealed to me as an engineer to make full use of the system as designed.

I could have simply rewritten the entire previous paragraph as, "To Each His Own". However, why use four words when dozens will do?...

entropic-remnants wrote:
Tend to agree that p-state overclocking is not a necessity, or even a "virtue". But I liked the idea since I leave my computer running for long periods of time and somehow -- and this is just me -- I disliked the idea of unnecessary power consumption. It won't make any visible difference in my utility bill, and I'm not a die-hard "save the planet" type, lol -- it just appealed to me as an engineer to make full use of the system as designed.

I could have simply rewritten the entire previous paragraph as, "To Each His Own". However, why use four words when dozens will do?...

Ooook i'm definitely there now 😄

OC stable @3.8ghz with -0.0125vcore p0state 3.8 set in UEFI.
High performance plan 20% minimum cpu

Temp in aida stress test around 55-56c top (+20 offset). Corsair gtx h100i 240mm AIO
It seems OK to me, am i wrong?

Just one little doubt: i'm sucking (is this the correct word lol? It sounds a bit "odd") 112watt from the wall at idle.
To be noted that i'm recording watt looking at ups with monitor + router + pc attached.
Is that reasonable?

edit: 84watts only for router + pc

entropic-remnan
Level 9
That sounds possible. My computer alone is dropping below 80 watts sometimes at idle. Man it's impossible to say about temps on this platform -- too many variables. But it sounds like it could be the real deal. Nice work.

entropic-remnants wrote:
That sounds possible. My computer alone is dropping below 80 watts sometimes at idle. Man it's impossible to say about temps on this platform -- too many variables. But it sounds like it could be the real deal. Nice work.

Thanks 🙂 now I have only to deal with the boot looping problem on "switched off PSU" and I'm done.

......douch.

entropic-remnan
Level 9
That boot looping has gotten real for some people on the new beta BIOS 9943/45. Watching the "fun" over on overclock.net and some people are having GREAT results and others are getting broken. This is such a mess. I'm not installing any more beta's now.