cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help with UEFI RAM settings?

Sinept
Level 7
So I just got my ram yesterday, and booted into my UEFI for the first time. Everything seemed to be working, but my ram frequency was around half of what it's rated for. (1633MHz I think, when it's rated for 3000MHz).

I saw the xmp profile setting, but lost it before I could change it (so ram profile is still set to default at the moment). I have been unable to find it again after scouring the uefi menus (I think it was in favorites and now it isn't. I haven't checked every submenu yet). There is another setting regarding DRAM frequency, and I set it to 3000MHz, and after a save and reboot, the hardware monitor section to the right, as well as the specs in "main", now state a RAM frequency of 3000MHz. Ram voltage is autoset to 1.504v (I'm unable to change it), while the ramsticks appear to be rated for something like 1.32v (written on the side of the ramsticks with the other specs. I haven't cracked the case since yesterday).

My motherboard is a maximus ix hero, and my ram is a corsair C15 3000Mhz 32GB (2x16) set.

Do I need to find and enable xmp? And do I need to reset DRAM frequency?

Also, if there's a setting to make the built in lights stay a specific color, I'd like to know where to find that as well.
11 REPLIES 11

Nate152
Hi Sinept

Try setting your ram manually instead of using XMP.

1) In the bios reset to defaults (F5)
2) Set the AI Overclock Tuner to Manual
3) Scroll down to Dram Frequency and select 3000MHz.
4) Scroll down to Dram voltage and enter in 1.35v
5) Scroll down to CPU System Agent voltage and enter in 1.20v
6) Scroll down to CPU VCCIO voltage and enter in 1.20v

7) Go to Dram Timing Control and at the very top enter in the primary timings for your kit

Command Rate 2N

F10 and Enter to save and exit.

How does it go ?

Just to confirm this is your ram kit ?

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/vengeance-lpx-32gb-2x16gb-ddr4-dram-3000mhz-c15-memory-kit-black-cmk32g...

To get the lights to stay at one color install the Aura software.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Sinept

7) Go to Dram Timing Control and at the very top enter in the primary timings for your kit

Command Rate 2N

How does it go ?

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/vengeance-lpx-32gb-2x16gb-ddr4-dram-3000mhz-c15-memory-kit-black-cmk32g...

Yes, that is my RAM. I'm new to this stuff, and I'm not sure if I want to overclock anything, but I do want my ram to run at it's rated frequency. Being that there are multiple RAM settings in the UEFI, I'm not sure which settings would be best or why.

NemesisChild wrote:
XMP profile will be under advanced mode, extreme tweaker, Ai overclock tuner.

CPU-Z and other software reports half the actual frequency because memory/ram is DDR = double data rate
So if the frequency shows up in software as 1633MHz, then the actual is 3266MHz.

I don't have any storage yet, or an OS; so I'm not using any software. I'm looking at the specs within the UEFI. Does that make any difference? I went ahead and reset to "optimized default settings" just to be safe. The hardware monitor in the UEFI now states a ram frequency of 2133MHz.

Also, AI Overclock Tuner is apparently where I saw xmp. (it has auto, manual, and xmp).

I enabled Manual mode for AI Overclock Tuner; I still can't change any voltages. Do I need a mouse? (I only have one mouse, and the wiring's bad. I tried it yesterday and it didn't work).

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Sinept

Command Rate 2N

How does it go ?

Ok, I figured out how to change voltages (just type it, apparently). What is vccio voltage? is it safe to change? It's default voltage is .968v. System agent is 1.072. My cpu is an i7 7700k.

Also, what are "primary timings". They weren't listed on the ramsticks, and there isn't anything listed on the packaging, aside from the part number (cmk32gx4m2b3000c15).

And Nemesis stated that the ram frequency displayed in software used to read it isn't the same as actual system ram frequency . Can the same be said of the UEFI (which the "software" I'm using to read it)? Does that mean that I shouldn't be trying to change the frequency?

NemesisChild
Level 12
XMP profile will be under advanced mode, extreme tweaker, Ai overclock tuner.

CPU-Z and other software reports half the actual frequency because memory/ram is DDR = double data rate
So if the frequency shows up in software as 1633MHz, then the actual is 3266MHz.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Nate152
Yes it's safe to change the voltages to the values I suggested.

In the bios at the top of the extreme tweaker tab it will show the Dram Frequency at full speed, in CPU-Z for example it will read half the RAM speed.

The primary timings are at the top of the Dram Timing Control page and the timings should be listed on the ram sticks, if that's your ram kit then no need to look at the ram sticks. 🙂

The primary timings are listed at the bottom as "Tested Latency".

Nate152 wrote:
Yes it's safe to change the voltages to the values I suggested.

In the bios at the top of the extreme tweaker tab it will show the Dram Frequency at full speed, in CPU-Z for example it will read half the RAM speed.

The primary timings are at the top of the Dram Timing Control page and the timings should be listed on the ram sticks, if that's your ram kit then no need to look at the ram sticks. 🙂

The primary timings are listed at the bottom as "Tested Latency".

Alright. I followed your suggestions and everything looks good. Is there anything else that I need to do?

Nate152
Well if you had an operating system you could see how it's running or test the memory for stability.

Nate152 wrote:
Well if you had an operating system you could see how it's running or test the memory for stability.

Yeah, that'll be another month or two from now. Stability though? How would I test that? And is that something that I should do before or after installing a graphics card? (and is a graphics card plug and play, or will I need to tweak some settings for that as well?)

Nate152
To test for stability you can use HCI Memtest or Google Stress app or you can use your pc and play some games and see if everything is running ok.

The vccio and cpu system agent voltages at 1.20v are numbers I threw out there that should have your pc stable and it may run with those voltages at 1.15v.

A graphics card is pretty much plug and play, you'll need to connect the pcie power cables and install the graphics driver.