cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Occasional BSOD after BIOS update?

ShingHimLau
Level 7
I have been experiencing occassional BSODs after updating BIOS to 0906. My mobo is Maximus IX Hero, CPU i7 7700, Crucial 16GB ram, Zotac FE GTX 1070, Cooler Master Seidon 120v3 plus, wd ssd black 512GB, seagate 2TB HDD. I stress tested the ram in memtest86, the ram is fine. I S.M.A.R.T tested the ssd, passed the test again. I was thinking maybe some driver is causing the issue.Graphics drivers are the latest, however. I tried driver verifier, but the pc just BSODed, and didn't tell which driver is causing the problem. I then downgraded bios to 0801 , but the pc won't even boot into windows, but just show the rog logo, and reboot itself again and again. Luckily, I tried system restore and restored its settings.
However, I wanted to make sure no driver will cause BSODs again, but I can't get into windows after applying driver verifier settings. Maybe the problem is the Mobo, bad controller or something from what I've read from the Internet? I dunno, I'm new to all this.

What I want is to ensure no BSOD will happen again, because sometimes the PC just keeps on BSODing and would take a long time to become stable. Please guys, I want to solve this.

Here are the dump files.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_c5P3MfnJI5ZHBiTWpkaW5LMTQ

Note: I have never overclocked or tweaked the settings in the BIOS. All were set to AUTO.
6 REPLIES 6

Korth
Level 14
Restore BIOS to factory/default settings, Clear CMOS ...

You updated BIOS and "some driver" (graphics driver, at least).
Newer is not always better, lol, any of these updates could "break" a working system.
But BIOS 0906 fixed a PXE issue which might be causing your boot problems. (It also added Optane support, fixed an M.2 issue, and fixed a certain MemTest86 issue - but these aren't relevant to your current hardware.)

Microsoft Driver Verifier can interfere with normal hardware operation and cause BSoDs or other issues, it should be used only when needed, it should be turned off when not needed.

Can you boot Windows with "Last Known Good Configuration"? Can you rollback to previous version driver(s) or run System Restore?

You should (temporarily) uninstall any hardware which isn't strictly required - USB devices, audio card, etc - to simplify troubleshooting hardware issues. If you haven't already.

Your Zotac GPU is a reference GTX1070 FE. Your CPU cooler is sufficient (unless the TIM application is bad, which would cause CPU overheat).

What is the specific model of your "Crucial 16GB" RAM? If you are running faster than DDR4-2400 (through XMP profile, or whatever) then you are indeed overclocking the component and it might even be an "unstable overclock" which passes MemTest86 yet causes intermittent BSoD faults.

What is the specific model of your PSU? Perhaps it's underrated for your system.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Restore BIOS to factory/default settings, Clear CMOS ...

You updated BIOS and "some driver" (graphics driver, at least).
Newer is not always better, lol, any of these updates could "break" a working system.
But BIOS 0906 fixed a PXE issue which might be causing your boot problems. (It also added Optane support, fixed an M.2 issue, and fixed a certain MemTest86 issue - but these aren't relevant to your current hardware.)

Microsoft Driver Verifier can interfere with normal hardware operation and cause BSoDs or other issues, it should be used only when needed, it should be turned off when not needed.

Can you boot Windows with "Last Known Good Configuration"? Can you rollback to previous version driver(s) or run System Restore?

You should (temporarily) uninstall any hardware which isn't strictly required - USB devices, audio card, etc - to simplify troubleshooting hardware issues. If you haven't already.

Your Zotac GPU is a reference GTX1070 FE. Your CPU cooler is sufficient (unless the TIM application is bad, which would cause CPU overheat).

What is the specific model of your "Crucial 16GB" RAM? If you are running faster than DDR4-2400 (through XMP profile, or whatever) then you are indeed overclocking the component and it might even be an "unstable overclock" which passes MemTest86 yet causes intermittent BSoD faults.

What is the specific model of your PSU? Perhaps it's underrated for your system.

System Restore works, the computer runs fine for now, but I don't want any BSODs to happen randomly again, causing damage to components.
PSU is cooler master V750.

Korth wrote:

Is the cooler master seidon 120V V3 an mediocre cpu cooler? I heard its pretty good for its price.

Chino wrote:
Is that a single memory kit?

Yes 2133 MHz CT16GDFD8213

Korth
Level 14
Your Seidon is fine, more than adequate if you don't intend to overclock.

I was speaking of poor thermal contact between block and CPU. TIM (thermal grease) efficiency is largely based on application, and can vary a lot from install to install and user to user. But if your CPU temps looks fine then your cooler is doing its job, don't worry about it.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]