cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Ram Issue with G751JY and G.Skill F3-2133C11Q-32GRSL

Mhanzed
Level 7
Hello Rog members, hopefully someone can help me to sort this out.

But let's start from the beginning:

One month ago I was reading this forum and noticed many people were happy by upgrading their stock G751s 1600Mhz Ram to the G.Skill model mentioned in the title.

So I decided to get myself a set of those sticks aswell and to upgrade from the stock 16 Gb 1600Mhz Samsung Ram to 32 Gb 2133Mhz G.Skill.

One week ago I received the new Ram.

So I plug off the power cable, battery, remove the old ram and put in the laptop the new 4 sticks.

I run the laptop and Cpu-Z. All values correct.

1,35 as voltage - 1064.2 as DRAM Frequency - SPD values as they should look like.

So all looks fine but, in the next days, I start to notice some random software I use randomly crash (even Chrome and Firefox).

I say to myself it could be some Windows issue, wanted to do a clean install soon anyway.

But 2 days ago while gaming (not that matters but the game in question was the first Dark Souls) I get a BSOD. And it's the first BSOD I get since I bought the laptop.

Now I think sure, Dark Souls is a hard game. But I don't think the developers would be so cruel to give you a BSOD right when the boss you're fighting has 10% hp left.(sorry for the irony but helps with being less angry at the moment :D).

I decide then to run a memtest to see if any Ram error was happening.

I launch the test and boom, errors start to rain as rice at the devil's wedding day.

So you might think: "Sure, some of your new 4 Ram sticks is faulty" or "Some of your mobo Ram socket is faulty".

Nah, that would be too easy ofc.

I did tests with the old stock ram. Doesn't matter how I put it. Single channel, dual channel, front ram slots, back ram slots. It works perfectly. So the mobo sockets are fine I'd say at this point.

I test then the new G.Skill Ram, one stick per time. Every stick shows no errors at all. They start to show errors if I plug in 2 or more.

Now since all the single sticks of the G.Skill Ram appear to work I don't think I can even RMA that.

-

So long story short, the problem is:

- Ram sockets on mobo are fine, old ram shows no errors whatever you do with it.

- G.Skill new Ram looks fine since the tests with one stick per time show no errors.

- I also removed the CMOS battery in the back of the mobo and reinstalled Windows to see if anything would help but errors with the new Ram still there.

So where could the problem be, considering that's the only issue I have at the moment and if I plug in the old 16gb Ram everything works like a charm?

I would say it's the G.Skill high speed (2133MHz) but makes no sense cause many people installed it in the same laptop and noone complained.

By the way, nothing is overclocked atm. Everything at stock speeds.

Thanks in advance for your patience to read till here and to provide a helpful hand.

~ Mhanzed

[EDIT]

After some more accurate tests, turns out even when testing one single stick of G.Skill Ram per time sometimes it gives errors. it just takes way more time to show an error compared to when 2 sticks or more are plugged in.

The odd thing is the same stick could run 1hr without giving a single problem and after a reboot and another test it could start popping errors after 30 seconds. And this happens for more or less all the 4 sticks.
2 REPLIES 2

Sadler13
Level 9
Mhanzed wrote:
Hello Rog members, hopefully someone can help me to sort this out.

But let's start from the beginning:

One month ago I was reading this forum and noticed many people were happy by upgrading their stock G751s 1600Mhz Ram to the G.Skill model mentioned in the title.

So I decided to get myself a set of those sticks aswell and to upgrade from the stock 16 Gb 1600Mhz Samsung Ram to 32 Gb 2133Mhz G.Skill.

One week ago I received the new Ram.

So I plug off the power cable, battery, remove the old ram and put in the laptop the new 4 sticks.

I run the laptop and Cpu-Z. All values correct.

1,35 as voltage - 1064.2 as DRAM Frequency - SPD values as they should look like.

So all looks fine but, in the next days, I start to notice some random software I use randomly crash (even Chrome and Firefox).

I say to myself it could be some Windows issue, wanted to do a clean install soon anyway.

But 2 days ago while gaming (not that matters but the game in question was the first Dark Souls) I get a BSOD. And it's the first BSOD I get since I bought the laptop.

Now I think sure, Dark Souls is a hard game. But I don't think the developers would be so cruel to give you a BSOD right when the boss you're fighting has 10% hp left.(sorry for the irony but helps with being less angry at the moment :D).

I decide then to run a memtest to see if any Ram error was happening.

I launch the test and boom, errors start to rain as rice at the devil's wedding day.

So you might think: "Sure, some of your new 4 Ram sticks is faulty" or "Some of your mobo Ram socket is faulty".

Nah, that would be too easy ofc.

I did tests with the old stock ram. Doesn't matter how I put it. Single channel, dual channel, front ram slots, back ram slots. It works perfectly. So the mobo sockets are fine I'd say at this point.

I test then the new G.Skill Ram, one stick per time. Every stick shows no errors at all. They start to show errors if I plug in 2 or more.

Now since all the single sticks of the G.Skill Ram appear to work I don't think I can even RMA that.

-

So long story short, the problem is:

- Ram sockets on mobo are fine, old ram shows no errors whatever you do with it.

- G.Skill new Ram looks fine since the tests with one stick per time show no errors.

- I also removed the CMOS battery in the back of the mobo and reinstalled Windows to see if anything would help but errors with the new Ram still there.

So where could the problem be, considering that's the only issue I have at the moment and if I plug in the old 16gb Ram everything works like a charm?

I would say it's the G.Skill high speed (2133MHz) but makes no sense cause many people installed it in the same laptop and noone complained.

By the way, nothing is overclocked atm. Everything at stock speeds.

Thanks in advance for your patience to read till here and to provide a helpful hand.

~ Mhanzed

[EDIT]

After some more accurate tests, turns out even when testing one single stick of G.Skill Ram per time sometimes it gives errors. it just takes way more time to show an error compared to when 2 sticks or more are plugged in.

The odd thing is the same stick could run 1hr without giving a single problem and after a reboot and another test it could start popping errors after 30 seconds. And this happens for more or less all the 4 sticks.

I am now having the same exact same issue. Have you been able to solve this?
With my G751j i used 2 sets of the HyperX 16GB (2 x 8G) DDR3L 1866 (PC3L 14900) HX318LS11IBK2/16
one set was Manufactured on 2015 and the other in 2017.
G751JY-DH71|| G75VW || Intel Core i7-4710HQ (2.5GHz || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4GB || |NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M 3GB || 1 TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive, 256 GB Solid-State Drive (PCIEG2) || Intel Core i7-4710HQ (2.5GHz

Clintlgm
Level 14
Sure sounds like inferior RAM to me, any one of the stick should run 24 hours error free, I usualy test at least 12 hours but If problems are happening 24 hours, I would send them back and get another brand or hope for a different lot number?
I might also contact GSkill and run the issue by them, I have never dealt with GSkill but most memory manufactures will be happy to work with you as none can afford bad reviews or problem unit in the public?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro