cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG GL553V & Ubuntu 16.04.2

truelai
Level 7
ASUS ROG GL553V & Ubuntu 16.04.2

It seems not too many people have this combo yet. I can't find anything about Ubuntu and GL553V. I will continue to update this post with issues and solutions as they become known. I'm a sysadmin who can navigate a Linux machine well enough and I'd much appreciate any help from the senior members (especially friends of the penguin) in getting this guide going.

Known, already solved issues:

Wireless
sudo apt update
sudo apt install git
git clone https://github.com/OpenELEC/iwlwifi-firmware.git
cd iwlwifi-firmware/firmware
sudo cp iwlwifi-7265* /lib/firmware

Nvidia graphics
sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
sudo apt-get install nvidia-361-updates nvidia-prime

Some other issues:

• Screen dimming and brightening keys
  • Keyboard dimming and brightening keys
  • Keyboard is single color (red)
  • Fan control doesn't seem to work properly - need some package for the sensors?
Linux bruh.
4 REPLIES 4

truelai
Level 7
I've seen some approaches to previous models.

When I add either of the following parameters to /etc/default/grub, my trackpad stops working (and I get no additional function keys):

acpi_osi=
acpi_osi=!
Linux bruh.

Hello, I have the same laptop, and I have the same trouble with the keyboard back light, do you have any clue of how to solve that?

Hello,
I have the same laptop, and quite the same problems with function keys that manage keyboard and screen brightness.
My keyboard is not single colored, but it is because i changed that on Windows (i have a dual boot), and Ubuntu seems to launch with the same settings, but i don't know how to change this inside Linux.
I'm interested in getting new tips for Linux and post those i have if i find something that fixes an issue.

I have the same issues and I'm also interested in some solution. Some of the problems (mainly Fn keys) went away when updated to 4.12 kernel version.