Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Monoblock not making contact with CPU.

The motherboard is a Maximus IX Extreme.

I got zero help from ASUS support on this when I called the North America line. The first response after explaining the problem was that I should seek out local technician for support. I asked to speak to the supervisor and the tech said all his supervisors were unavailable. I asked for an email so that I could respond with the photos below to be certain that there was no misunderstanding of my problem. The tech said he couldn't create a ticket or RMA because their ticketing system was offline. So here I am.

The system has been on air for 2 weeks. I am attempting to install the monoblock. I applied thermal grease on the CPU and put the monoblock in place. As you can see the monoblock is not making contact with the CPU because the thermal grease did not spread out. The photos below were taken after I removed the monoblock from the motherboard to validate proper contact with the CPU. There are 2 screw holes nearest the IO Shield that have to go into the holes in the motherboard so that the monoblock can be properly seated. I confirmed that it was indeed fully seated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170518_160628_HDR.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	254.7 KB 
ID:	64676

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170518_160606_HDR.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	388.3 KB 
ID:	64677

I need to know if there is anything that can be done to remedy this problem. Perhaps is there something that I missed?

I don't expect everything to go off without a hitch. I am a network architect by trade. I get paid to solve problems and deliver solutions. But I paid $650 for a motherboard that is supposed to be topshelf and when I do encounter a problem I get totally indifferent incompetence from ASUS support. The lack of contact between CPU and Monoblock is a problem that will get fixed one way or another, whether I go with a competitors product, get an RMA, or use a different waterblock, I got spare waterblocks, I can deal with that. But my dealings with ASUS support so far on this issue has been totally unacceptable.
    Last edited by BlueScreen; 05-19-2017 at 10:43 AM.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Quote Originally Posted by BlueScreen View Post
    I am attempting to install the monoblock. I applied thermal grease on the CPU and put the monoblock in place. As you can see the monoblock is not making contact with the CPU because the thermal grease did not spread out. The photos below were taken after I removed the monoblock from the motherboard to validate proper contact with the CPU. There are 2 screw holes nearest the IO Shield that have to go into the holes in the motherboard so that the monoblock can be properly seated. I confirmed that it was indeed fully seated.
    Did you screw in the monoblock? Or did you just put it in place and then removed it?

Mastermind19 Array

Hello Bluescreen,

There are 3 methods to spread the thermal paste, line method, cross method and the spread method (please see link). I recommend the spread method, because it will even distribute the thermal paste and avoid air holes.

ROG Guru: Diamond Belt Array Zka17's Avatar

I am tired and my eyes hurt, but can not see the exact model of the board and monoblock in your post...
    Could you share?

New ROGer Array

To be honest it is either ASUS did not honor the keep-out zone or the monoblock does not.

Can't wait to find out which
    Last edited by msystems; 05-19-2017 at 06:46 AM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Did you screw in the monoblock? Or did you just put it in place and then removed it?
    I put it in place and then removed it. I have not tightened the screws yet.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Zka17 View Post
    I am tired and my eyes hurt, but can not see the exact model of the board and monoblock in your post...
    Could you share?
    Maximus IX Extreme.

ROG Guru: Diamond Belt Array Zka17's Avatar

I have just watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWGEqKC_P9E
    At first look the installation should be pretty easy...
    It is hard to imagine such an overlook from Asus that the monoblock would not touch the CPU - but nothing is impossible...
    I would make sure that all the thermal pads are mounted correctly, specially they're not overlaid each other (like using a double layer) and using the original pads.
    Then, make sure that the washers for the block are also according to the manufacturer's description... don't double them either...
    Apply the thermal paste - way less than we can see on the pictures...
    You may need to tighten the screws to fully seat the block... I would suggest you to take pictures from all angles possible to show the seating and post them here... somebody may observe something useful...
    Then take it off and double-check the spreading of the paste...

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Menthol PC Specs
    Menthol PC Specs
    MotherboardM 10 Apex / XI gene
    Processor8700K / 9900K
    Memory (part number)2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4266/2x2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4500
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080ti / GTX 1060
    Sound CardSoundBlaster Ae5 / Onboard
    MonitorBENQ 32" 4K
    Storage #1Intel 900p 480GB/Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2Intel 750 1.2TB/Plextor 1 TB 2X 950 Pro
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i AIO / H1110i
    CaseCorsair 740 ? Lian Li Air
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i / AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair
    Mouse ASUS Strix
    Headset HyperX Cloud Alpha
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906
    OS 10 X64 Pro
    Network RouterVerizon Fios
    Accessory #1 Intel Wifi BT pcie card
    Accessory #2 Red Bull
    Accessory #3 English Breakfast Tea

I don't own this board, or ever used a monoblock but my guess is you will have to install and tighten the mounting screws to verify mounting pressure, the thermal pads are probably thick enough to not allow full contact until tightened. Also as mentioned much less TIM is needed.
    Please come back and post when you get this resolved so the rest of us can see

ROG Member Array

The good news is that after tightening the screws down I was able to verify that the monoblock is making good contact with the CPU. About 20 months ago I had a problem with a bitspower gpu waterblock on a 980ti kingpin that wasn't level. One edge of the GPU had good contact and the other edge did not. Every since then I always double-check waterblock contact before proceeding with the install.

The bad news is that after installing the monoblock the I am getting the 00 qcode and no post. Removed monoblock, cpu, memory, etc. and still getting the 00 qcode.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast