cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monoblock not making contact with CPU.

BlueScreen
Level 7
The motherboard is a Maximus IX Extreme.

I got zero help from ASUS support on this when I called the North America line. The first response after explaining the problem was that I should seek out local technician for support. I asked to speak to the supervisor and the tech said all his supervisors were unavailable. I asked for an email so that I could respond with the photos below to be certain that there was no misunderstanding of my problem. The tech said he couldn't create a ticket or RMA because their ticketing system was offline. So here I am.

The system has been on air for 2 weeks. I am attempting to install the monoblock. I applied thermal grease on the CPU and put the monoblock in place. As you can see the monoblock is not making contact with the CPU because the thermal grease did not spread out. The photos below were taken after I removed the monoblock from the motherboard to validate proper contact with the CPU. There are 2 screw holes nearest the IO Shield that have to go into the holes in the motherboard so that the monoblock can be properly seated. I confirmed that it was indeed fully seated.

I need to know if there is anything that can be done to remedy this problem. Perhaps is there something that I missed?

I don't expect everything to go off without a hitch. I am a network architect by trade. I get paid to solve problems and deliver solutions. But I paid $650 for a motherboard that is supposed to be topshelf and when I do encounter a problem I get totally indifferent incompetence from ASUS support. The lack of contact between CPU and Monoblock is a problem that will get fixed one way or another, whether I go with a competitors product, get an RMA, or use a different waterblock, I got spare waterblocks, I can deal with that. But my dealings with ASUS support so far on this issue has been totally unacceptable.
11 REPLIES 11

Chino
Level 15
BlueScreen wrote:
I am attempting to install the monoblock. I applied thermal grease on the CPU and put the monoblock in place. As you can see the monoblock is not making contact with the CPU because the thermal grease did not spread out. The photos below were taken after I removed the monoblock from the motherboard to validate proper contact with the CPU. There are 2 screw holes nearest the IO Shield that have to go into the holes in the motherboard so that the monoblock can be properly seated. I confirmed that it was indeed fully seated.

Did you screw in the monoblock? Or did you just put it in place and then removed it?

Chino wrote:
Did you screw in the monoblock? Or did you just put it in place and then removed it?

I put it in place and then removed it. I have not tightened the screws yet.

thomas_yiu
Level 9
Hello Bluescreen,

There are 3 methods to spread the thermal paste, line method, cross method and the spread method (please see link). I recommend the spread method, because it will even distribute the thermal paste and avoid air holes.
Sincerely,
TY

To be honest it is either ASUS did not honor the keep-out zone or the monoblock does not.

Can't wait to find out which 😄

Zka17
Level 16
I am tired and my eyes hurt, but can not see the exact model of the board and monoblock in your post...
Could you share?

Zka17 wrote:
I am tired and my eyes hurt, but can not see the exact model of the board and monoblock in your post...
Could you share?

Maximus IX Extreme.

Zka17
Level 16
I have just watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWGEqKC_P9E
At first look the installation should be pretty easy...
It is hard to imagine such an overlook from Asus that the monoblock would not touch the CPU - but nothing is impossible...
I would make sure that all the thermal pads are mounted correctly, specially they're not overlaid each other (like using a double layer) and using the original pads.
Then, make sure that the washers for the block are also according to the manufacturer's description... don't double them either...
Apply the thermal paste - way less than we can see on the pictures...
You may need to tighten the screws to fully seat the block... I would suggest you to take pictures from all angles possible to show the seating and post them here... somebody may observe something useful...
Then take it off and double-check the spreading of the paste...

Menthol
Level 14
I don't own this board, or ever used a monoblock but my guess is you will have to install and tighten the mounting screws to verify mounting pressure, the thermal pads are probably thick enough to not allow full contact until tightened. Also as mentioned much less TIM is needed.
Please come back and post when you get this resolved so the rest of us can see

BlueScreen
Level 7
The good news is that after tightening the screws down I was able to verify that the monoblock is making good contact with the CPU. About 20 months ago I had a problem with a bitspower gpu waterblock on a 980ti kingpin that wasn't level. One edge of the GPU had good contact and the other edge did not. Every since then I always double-check waterblock contact before proceeding with the install.

The bad news is that after installing the monoblock the I am getting the 00 qcode and no post. Removed monoblock, cpu, memory, etc. and still getting the 00 qcode.