cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking problems with i7 7700k

Lord_Forn
Level 7
I recently have been trying to overclock my 7700k and have been getting what I believe are abnormally high temps. I was wondering what I should do to fix it/if the temps were actually unusual?

Specs:
i7 7700k
Maximus IX Code
16gb DDR4 3200
1080 ti
Phanteks p400s tempered glass
h100i v2

My temps at 4.5 ghz and 1.25 vcore are 35-40c idle, 80c ROG Realbench Stress Test, and 90c Prime 95 28.10. Any higher clock is unstable. Enabling XMP brings the temps slightly up, but is still stable. I know the h100i v2 isn't the best cooler on the market, even compared to an air cooler, but I was hoping for ~4.8 ghz without delidding. Is that unreasonable, or is something wrong? Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

Nate152
Hi Lord Forn

Welcome to the ROG forum.

The i7-7700k is notorious for running hot thanks to Intels poor thermal paste, did you set the Vcore to 1.25v or is it on auto ?

If the Vcore is on auto, set it manually to 1.25v and work the multiplier up by one and see how far it lets you go.

I would stick with ROG Realbench for stability testing as it's easier on your cpu.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Lord Forn

Welcome to the ROG forum.

The i7-7700k is notorious for running hot thanks to Intels poor thermal paste, did you set the Vcore to 1.25v or is it on auto ?

If the Vcore is on auto, set it manually to 1.25v and work the multiplier up by one and see how far it lets you go.

I would stick with ROG Realbench for stability testing as it's easier on your cpu.

Thank you! I set it manually to 1.25v and 4.5 is the highest I can go without crazy thermals. I will definitely stick to Realbench now after what I've read here recently.

Nate152
If you raise the multiplier to 46 what do temps reach in Realbench? Temps shouldn't go up very much since you're not raising the voltage.

Nate152 wrote:
If you raise the multiplier to 46 what do temps reach in Realbench? Temps shouldn't go up very much since you're not raising the voltage.

After running Realbench for ~5 minutes it got up to the mid 80s. I didn't want to run it longer, as I know anything over 80 is bad for the cpu.

Nate152
Yeah you're pretty much at the limit for stress testing temps.

The only thing I can suggest is to use a good thermal paste such as Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut which may get you approximately 5c lower or you could delid your cpu which will get you a good 15c temp decrease or even more.

I delidded my i7-7700k and got good results, this was my first time doing it and I used the Rockit 88 tool which makes it safe and easy. If you're interested in delidding I took some pictures and give some tips. If there was ever a cpu that would entice you to delid, it's the i7-7700k.

Start here on page 9 for delidding then go to page 1 for my pc pics and cooling, I have the Maximus IX Code too and it's a great overclocking motherboard.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?92094-Maximus-IX-Code-A-little-insight-and-delidded-7700k/...

Here is a game video after delidding the i7-7700k, I will confess I've since dropped to 5.2GHz on the cpu cores and 4.7GHz on the cpu cache.

Damn, i must have lost the silicon lottery then :(. Thanks for all the help though man! I will definitely consider deliding and maybe replacing the thermal paste, although I am already using some aftermarket stuff.

Nate152
Well you won't know how good of a cpu you have until you can actually overclock it, right now temps are the limiting factor for you.

tommiboi
Level 7
Hi, Like Nate said. I would really check the TIM and replace it with something decent. Could you bad conection from plate to chip. Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is nice and good, easy to apply.

How is the fan curve of your cooler ? I know its very AIO cooler and should preform a little better than you state. Am guessing the airflow in your case is okay as well. Even AIO coolers need fresh air 🙂

Check you case. Is it standard with 2 fans ? 1 intake 1 output. Then your AIO cooler has 2 out puts.

3x out
1x in
to be honost that is negative air flow sucks in dust. Negative flow is not bad but i dont like it personally. Nice about this is it suck the hot air out fo the case and air is mottly not trapped.

maybe somthing to think about. I do recommand 1 more intake fane. if you really have only 1 intake.
Try more, Try harder, Try and previal