cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus GL553VE - CPU/GPU Temperatures while gaming/Throttling

Sid7886
Level 7
Hi Guys,

I purchased Asus GL553VE laptop about a month back..I just wanted to know your temperatures while gaming..While playing games such as Mafia 3, Mass Effect Andromeda, my CPU and GPU temperature both reaches around 82-85 degrees Celsius after 10 minutes of playing. My ambient temperature are close to 35 degrees celsius.

As its a new laptop, therefore i rule out the possibility of thermal paste, dust accumulation, heatsink problems, etc. Also, the airflow out of the heatsink also seems fine to me. I have tried lowering down my CPU processor state/frequency in power state to disable turbo boost, even then the CPU temperature reach around 82 degrees or so.

Could you guys help me in knowing what temperatures do you get while playing similar games and if its normal?

Thanks
50 REPLIES 50

Bran187
Level 9
Sid7886 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I purchased Asus GL553VE laptop about a month back..I just wanted to know your temperatures while gaming..While playing games such as Mafia 3, Mass Effect Andromeda, my CPU and GPU temperature both reaches around 82-85 degrees Celsius after 10 minutes of playing. My ambient temperature are close to 35 degrees celsius.

As its a new laptop, therefore i rule out the possibility of thermal paste, dust accumulation, heatsink problems, etc. Also, the airflow out of the heatsink also seems fine to me. I have tried lowering down my CPU processor state/frequency in power state to disable turbo boost, even then the CPU temperature reach around 82 degrees or so.

Could you guys help me in knowing what temperatures do you get while playing similar games and if its normal?

Thanks

CPU shouldn't be throttling at 85. It's a toasty temperature for sure, but not uncommon in gaming laptops and still well within spec. And at 82 you really shouldn't be having problems with throttling.

How are you measuring the throttling?

Hi Bran,

I have Gtx 1050 ti in my laptop which starts to underclock automatically from 1747 Mhz to 1690 Mhz when GPU temperature reaches around 82 degrees or so..that's what i was referring to in terms of throttling..i know they lower the gpu clock to keep gpu safe but i was wondering if the gpu should also be reaching at such high temperature, considering its a new laptop

Thanks*

Sid7886 wrote:
Hi Bran,

I have Gtx 1050 ti in my laptop which starts to underclock automatically from 1747 Mhz to 1690 Mhz when GPU temperature reaches around 82 degrees or so..that's what i was referring to in terms of throttling..i know they lower the gpu clock to keep gpu safe but i was wondering if the gpu should also be reaching at such high temperature, considering its a new laptop

Thanks*

Gotcha. Sorry for some reason I thought you were only talking about the CPU.

On the GPU Throttling:

That's pretty normal for it to fluctuate between 1750ish and 1690ish. That's just the nature of the beast on these things. And the performance difference shouldn't even really be noticeable. Like 3-5 percent performance difference in the worst case scenario, and more likely 1-2 percent (if even that). So if you are encountering performance issues, I don't think that small of clock drop is to blame.

On GPU Temps:

82c is again on the warm side, but should still be within spec. If memory serves me right, the current gen Nvidia mobile chips are rated up to like 94c (someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong). Obviously cooler is always better, and a lot of people (myself included) like to keep my temps as low as possible. But my old G55VW has been running it's 660m at 84+ degrees C for the past 2 years without issue.

If you are really worried about it I would either contact Asus support, or look up some ways to combat the thermals (more aggressive fan curves, or a laptop cooler are good places you could start). But yeah, in theory you should still be operating within spec on both the CPU and GPU.

Also other people feel free to chip in if you disagree with me. The more input he has the better. XD

That surely helps..thanks for the help mate!!*

Bran187 wrote:
If you are really worried about it I would either contact Asus support, or look up some ways to combat the thermals (more aggressive fan curves, or a laptop cooler are good places you could start). But yeah, in theory you should still be operating within spec on both the CPU and GPU.

How to do this in a laptop: "more aggressive fan curves"?

I would love to edit my laptop fan curve.

Is anyone in here succeed to install the new hotfix? if yes please share to us what is the result. Thanks

AlongTheWay wrote:
Is anyone in here succeed to install the new hotfix? if yes please share to us what is the result. Thanks

Hi. New hotfix for GL753VE does not work until BIOS ver. 303 is released. I tried to install the hotfix, but nothing happened, so I asked ASUS if it works at all. They told me "update BIOS to ver. 303 🙂 ) After days of exchanging emails with ASUS representative, we came up to conclusion, that hotfix will work with BIOS ver. 303, which has not delivered yet on the website. It should be hopefully released soon.
(What is also interesting, BIOS ver. 302 dated AUG 2017 is exactly the same file, which was available to download in March 2017 and flashing software reads August version as older than March one 🙂 )
Just now, I can see that hotfix disappeared completely from downloads for GL753VE.

MarcinLenda wrote:
Hi. New hotfix for GL753VE does not work until BIOS ver. 303 is released. I tried to install the hotfix, but nothing happened, so I asked ASUS if it works at all. They told me "update BIOS to ver. 303 🙂 ) After days of exchanging emails with ASUS representative, we came up to conclusion, that hotfix will work with BIOS ver. 303, which has not delivered yet on the website. It should be hopefully released soon.
(What is also interesting, BIOS ver. 302 dated AUG 2017 is exactly the same file, which was available to download in March 2017 and flashing software reads August version as older than March one 🙂 )
Just now, I can see that hotfix disappeared completely from downloads for GL753VE.

They plan to release it with the installer so please wait for them to upload this new version where it will make life a lot easier for those who don't know how to extract the BIOS file.

So Bio 303 was released yesterday for Asus GL553VD, so i tried undervolting it -125 crashed on me, so here is a result of "MGS PP" every thing maxed out except shadows on -120 volts with only a difference of 2-3°c than stock, but limiting the fps to 30 drops the temperature considerably and remains in 70s. limiting fps does a better job than undervolting.. let me know what u guys think