cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7700k or 7600k for 144hz 1440p gaming

Klute_Onren
Level 9
Hardware is in the sig except I cooked that 7700k. Should I open the 7600k I got today or return it tomorrow for a 7700k? I'm going to delid and pump some voltages so I'm expecting 5ghz+

Two main questions:
1: Will HT have any impact on gaming 144hz @ 1440p?
2: Will I hit silicone lottery before I hit temps? IE: what are the chances of getting over 5ghz on a 7600k vs 7700k w/HT turned off? I hit 5.1ghz on my 7700k but now I've got a G4560 which I thought I could Bclk but I can't.
5 REPLIES 5

Korth
Level 14
i5-7600K vs i7-7700K.

Hyper-threading on Wikipedia.
"Hyper-Threading (HT)" is a (trademarked) Intel marketing term for their version(s) of Simultaneous Multi-Threading (SMT).
HT performance gains depend on application demand for multi-threading. Some apps (like HT benchmarks) are specifically optimized for maximal parallel-processing HT usage and (nearly) double the real performance of physical cores. Some apps require linear processing and gain nothing at all from logical multi-threading. In practice, most multi-threading apps make some middly use of HT and basically multiply overall performance of the physical cores by roughly 125% - a 4C/8T CPU is functionally a 5C/5T CPU for general real-world usage.

Games (even "heavy" games) typically require only 2 or 3 or perhaps 4 cores/threads and won't benefit from more than 4 cores (total), regardless whether the cores are logical or physical. Quad-core CPUs are the norm for all "mainstream/performance" computers - they have been the norm for many years, they'll continue to be the norm for many more - so HT (or lack of HT) will basically have no impact on gaming performance.

It turns out that HT actually requires a slightly higher transistor count, more complex circuit logic, and more power to run. All other things being equal, a CPU with HT will run just a tiny bit slower and hotter than a CPU without HT.

And it turns out that most games make awful use of HT. A few games are notorious for performing worse with HT than without.

The i7-7700K is a higher-binned and faster-clocked CPU. With higher overclocking potential. De-lidding means hard overclocking, and it seems wasteful (to me) to do it with the lesser i5 CPU.

Gaming 144Hz @ 1440p means up to 144fps @ 1440p. This is all about the GPU(s), only barely about the CPU. And both of these CPUs has (more than) enough cores/threads to run games. I'd say your "cooked" 5.1GHz i7-7700K is already better for gaming than any i5-7600K, especially since HT is of no real consequence, although who knows what other functions may have also been cooked?

I'd say that if you're gonna de-lid and overclock then i7-7700K. Otherwise, keep running your "cooked" i7-7700K until it craps out, it might continue to play your games for a long time while processor prices keep dropping (and while, maybe, newer/faster processors are released).

If you're balancing CPU options based on price, keep running your existing CPU (or get the cheaper i5, if you must) and spend their rest of your budget towards upgrading your GPU card to the most pwnage you can afford.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

kkn
Level 14
it all comes down to the games and if they support hyper treading ( if they take advantage of hypertreading ).

if you are over clocking your CPU with propper fan adjustments you shoud be able to get more then 5ghz stable clock even with an old aio watercooler

Klute_Onren
Level 9
My 7700k isn't "cooked", it is COOKED! IE: I didn't research enough and attempted to go naked die and completely fried the cpu cause it had no contact with the CPU block.

When my 7700k was still working the difference in temp's with and without HT was 15-20c and I was pushing 90c max @ 5ghz with HT.

I guess it comes down to the silicone lottery and whether I want to spend an extra $100 for the chance to bump a little more out of the 7700k with no HT. I'm not certain what one can expect from a 7600k however I think I'll give it a whirl. If anything I can get a coffee lake down the road if I'm not happy with it.

I can do 4.94GHz on my 7700k but the temps after some time go over 90 with Kraken x62 so I decided to leave it at stock.. Difference in games is at best around a few frames anyway, so why bother.. With GSync on it makes no difference anyway 😉
CPU-i7 7700k @ 4.2Ghz
Graphics-Zotac Amp! Extreme 1080 Ti
Motherboard-Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming
Memory-16gb G.Skill Trident Z Series DDR4 3866MHz
Working hard at our web design studio in London - https://www.omdesign.co.uk/