cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X99 or wait for X299?

colin_pwns
Level 7
So finally got the funds aside for a major upgrade. Been looking at a RVE10 with a 6900k. Tho given that the rumors are X299 launching within a month....is it better to wait? How long does everyone thing it would be, after the launch, before a new R?E board hits the shelves?
9 REPLIES 9

davemon50
Level 11
Haha that's always a tough call. 😉 After many years of upgrading, I have come to the conclusion never to wait anymore. I just reserve the funds and buy or build the best rig I can at the moment, and let tomorrow worry for itself.

I opted for the close relation to the one you are considering, the 6950X. It works great with this board. I am not unhappy, and it'll last me for 2 or 3 years or more without any issues while all the next gen stuff comes out.
Davemon50

Korth
Level 14
ASUS works quite intimately with Intel.

I expect ASUS will offer the usual plethora of X299 motherboards when Intel launches the platform - X299-A, X299-Deluxe, X299-WS, a "flagship" Rampage VI Extreme, etc. Then some better X299 motherboards (X299 Sabertooth, X299 Strix, Rampage VI Extreme Madness Edition, etc) across the following 20-24 months.

ASUS *always* has the very first motherboards on market for each new Intel platform. And (after Intel's shrink/refinement/refresh "tock", new processors, faster memory, etc) ASUS *always* has the most elite ultimate "last word" motherboard for each Intel platform (for those who want the final evolution of the existing platform even after Intel has declared it is "being phased out" or "approaching EOL" on their "leaked" Roadmaps.

I expect the R6E will be the finest X299 motherboard available for at least half a year. Before the competition starts to seriously compete with their own "godlike" offerings.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
...Rampage VI Extreme Madness Edition...

Oh man, I LOVE that name! I want one of those right now, lol.
Davemon50

colin_pwns
Level 7
Thanks for the info guys. I think this makes me lean in favor of waiting jsut 1 month for the x299 to come out and get that. 🙂

JustinThyme
Level 13
Wait for X299. its going to blow the x99 out of the water , not to mention x99 is now nearly 3 years old.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

The big gap between x99 and x299 will not I think.
Intel feeds us for 5-10% of the increase.

JustinThyme wrote:
Wait for X299. its going to blow the x99 out of the water , not to mention x99 is now nearly 3 years old.

Absolutely, wait without a doubt! When this thing gets released it will crush everything currently on the market!
CPU-i7 7700k @ 4.2Ghz
Graphics-Zotac Amp! Extreme 1080 Ti
Motherboard-Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming
Memory-16gb G.Skill Trident Z Series DDR4 3866MHz
Working hard at our web design studio in London - https://www.omdesign.co.uk/

Korth
Level 14
"X299 ... going to blow the X99 out of the water"

Yes and no. A few more PCIe3 lanes. Faster DDR4. More Cores/Threads at the top and faster Cores/Threads in the middle. More USB, more SATA, more LAN. More "native" support for Intel technologies (HD Audio, Optane, etc) of dubious merit. Also more SPI/eSPI, LPC, SMBus, etc - not directly useful to end-users, but indirectly awesome because these interfaces allow mobo makers to hardwire more toys and features into their implementations of the platform.

So yes X299 > X99, equal or better in every technical capacity, extended and refined and generally superior. Moreso sometime next year when Intel releases their second wave LGA2066 ("Skylake-X2" or whatever) parts.

But not overwhelmingly superior. And full-spec X299 will cost more than full-spec X99 did, lol.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]