cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secure Boot Problem

claudej
Level 7
Hi, I have Gene, with 3401,
I have a Seagate Archive 8TB storage HDD drive. I found out Seagate released a new firmware.
I did execute the dedicated Seagate tool to build a USB bootable drive.
I get the following screen after boot, with "secure boot validation failure".
I did some research and tries, tried disabling CSM, tried the setting "other OS" under Secure Boot.
But then, it eventually hangs similarly, before reaching "Invalid Signature" while Secure Boot Status remains Active in Bios.
I tried setting passwords, still, the Secure Boot Status remains grayed out and active.
I couldn't find any specific help online, it seems nobody has done that update or has had problems doing it before.

Can you help ? this can't be a big problem
If HDD people release a firmware, then there's good reason for it.
5 REPLIES 5

claudej
Level 7
Should I, can I, erase my Secure Boot keys to disable Secure Boot ?
Or is it a conflict with my M.2 NVME SM951 ?
I did try the neighbours computer, but it doesn't support UEFI and I get Linux decompression error when booting from the USB stick.

claudej
Level 7
Not one proposition ? Come on Guys, I thought you knew it all...
My computer is up to date and I'm simply trying to use a bootable USB stick made by Seagate. This can work !
I've searched this whole forum and another for related problems and while similar problems can be found, no working solution is.

Nate152
Hi claudej

1) Disconnect all drives except the sm951 and in the bios set the sm951 to PCIe.
2) Disable CSM and set secure boot to Other Os.
3) Select your windows usb stick with UEFI in front of it as boot option 1 then F10 and Enter.

Follow the instructions, windows should install.

claudej
Level 7
Hi Nate152,
Thank you for your reply,
I believe I did try this before (no offense)...anyway things have changed.
My USB stick didn't work anymore, couldn't be accessed or formated no more. Write protected.
So I tried the only other option I have available, a flash card in a USB card reader (I believe I did try this before with no success).

This time the process went further and got to that screen, but still no success, the firmware should change from AR13 to AR17,
What's wrong ?
(at the bottom, I tried a few entries with no success)

claudej
Level 7
Sorry guys,
Made it !
It took me a while to realise that I needed to do the last steps on my own.
The Seagate tool which did build the bootable USB device seemed to be Smart and Final.
But I had to copy the firmware file on it.
And write the command line Seaflashlin -f (firmware file name) -d (device to update)
(There was a, not obvious, *.txt file to read)
Then..."Update in progress"..."update succeeded"...
Thanks,